walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunshine on Doire Ban

Sunshine on Doire Ban

Postby rob munbett » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:28 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Doire Ban

Date walked: 08/09/2018

Distance: 5.25 km

Ascent: 431m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I drove round from Corran to Fort William and took the narrow road up the hill south, up past the viewpoint, a long way down the scenic glen to park in a good space before Lochan Lunn Da Bhra.
P1040074(1).JPG
Doire Ban from near where the cars are parked
From here I walked along the road, over a bridge and then down a rougher track to a ford where stepping stones got me across the river dry-shod. At some times of year, there may well be a track that leads round to a shack but on this day the lochan was up and it was flooded so I just had to traipse across the boggy ground, finding the best route. To be honest, this hill is a bit of a slog up through deep heather with a few rises that make you think you're nearly there ..... but no - you're not.
P1040087(1).JPG
Looking up the rough hillside
I found on the way down that the best terrain was on the east side, so on the ascent it's probably best to stay left and not try to meander up the many humps and bumps of the middle. Anyway, when I did have to have a bit of a breather, the views were always good, especially to the north. Soon I reached the small summit cairn and I sat for a while enjoying the sunshine and 360 degree views.
P1040082(1).JPG
The view north from the summit
The descent was much easier!
P1040077(1).JPG
Heading back down, enjoying the view north

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland