walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Moody moors walk: Duncolm and The Slacks

Moody moors walk: Duncolm and The Slacks

Postby LucieK » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:02 am

Route description: Duncolm and the Slacks, Old Kilpatrick

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Duncolm

Date walked: 24/08/2018

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 490m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Two days after I hiked Ben Lomond, I ventured out for another adventure. Originally, I wanted to do The Whangie, but there didn’t seem to be a reasonable public transportation that would take me to or nearby the hike. The only option was to walk from Mulgavie for about 2 hours to just reach the Queen’s Car Park starting point. A lady in the information office in Glasgow recommended Duncolm and the Slacks instead. I hesitated for a while between going to Conic Hill (recommended by friends) and Duncolm, but at the end the reports and pictures on this website helped me to decide in favor of Duncolm.

The weather forecast for the day was perfect – cloudy with showers. Somehow it felt appropriate for a hike on the moors. Though it was warm and partly sunny when I arrived at Old Kilpatrick. The sun beams danced on the River Clyde as I was heading up to the hills on the tarmac, among the lazily grazing sheep and Highland cows. This was my first time seeing a live Highland cow. I’d only seen pictures up to this point. (I guess that shows I don’t live in Scotland…). The idyllic weather did not last forever. By the time I reached Loch Humphrey, the first shower came. Dark clouds hanged low and cold wind picked up. Perhaps waterproofed pants may have been a good idea, but the fast drying ones I had proved quite adequate, as they dried incredibly quickly in between the showers. But I was certainly grateful for my waterproofed boots on the soaked moors.

I continued toward Duncolm, getting deeper into the moors and leaving “civilization” behind. I met only few people at the beginning of the hike, but after Loch Humphrey I was completely alone, lost in my thoughts, enjoying the views. Though perhaps I got lost in my thoughts little bit too much, as I started heading the wrong direction. Not paying as much attention as I should have, I turned onto a wrong path taking me too much to the west. Looking back, I could have probably just added Fynloch Hill to my route and approach Duncolm from a slightly different course. But being unfamiliar with the area, I opted for hopping across the moors to get back to the right grassy path. No harm done, it was rather adventurous and I was up on Duncolm in no time. The wind picked up and I wished again I brought gloves with me on this vacation. I enjoyed the views of Loch Lomond with its islands, Fyn and Lilly Lochs, Burncrooks Reservoir, and glimpses of Glasgow.

Heading back, I kept checking the map to make sure I was following the right route up Middle Duncolm and back to Loch Humphrey, where I forked left to follow the path for The Slacks. The grassy path up on a hill along a fence offers great views back at Loch Humphrey and the surrounding hills. The showers came and went and the sun showed its face uncertainly few times. Once I reached the trig point at The Slacks, I was rewarded with a view of blooming heather ridges (la la la… will ye go, lassie, go….) and Glasgow. And yes, I broke out singing, because, well, there was no one around.

The way back to Old Kilpatrick took me through those heather ridges that eventually gave way to fern. That’s when I met a human being again, first one in hours. Soon the Erskine Bridge came to view, Old Kilpatrick and the River Clyde. Zig zagging down the hill I joined my route from the morning, retracing my steps past the train station into the town for a cup of hot coffee, before catching the train back to Glasgow.

This was a beautiful hike. I could hardly believe Glasgow was so close, because I felt completely engulfed by nature.
Attachments
DSC00491editWH.JPG
my first encounter with a live Highland cow
DSC00507editWH.JPG
tarmac road to Loch Humphrey
DSC00514editWH.JPG
rain clouds over Loch Humphrey
DSC00554editWH.JPG
Loch Lomond and its islands from Duncolm
DSC00562editWH.JPG
Duncolm; why Derek, why did you have to write on the stone?
DSC00560editWH.JPG
Loch Lomond with its islands, Fyn and Lilly Lochs, Burncrooks Reservoir from Duncolm
DSC00566editWH.JPG
glimpses of Glasgow from Duncolm
DSC00598editWH.JPG
I was quite glad I had proper, waterproofed boots
DSC00632editWH.JPG
Loch Humphrey again
DSC00644editWH.JPG
DSC00652editWH.JPG
The Slacks trig point
DSC00659editWH.JPG
the view from The Slacks
DSC00663editWH.JPG
heather ridges of The Slacks
DSC00673editWH.JPG
on my way back to Old Kilpatrick
DSC00693editWH.JPG
Erskine Bridge
DSC00723editWH.JPG
Erskine Bridge, Old Kilpatrick, and the River Clyde
DSC00733editWH.JPG
DSC00741editWH.JPG
retracing my steps back to Old Kilpatrick
DSC00758editWH.JPG
Old Kilpatrick

Duncolm-and-the-Slacks-Old-Kilpatrick.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

LucieK
Walker

Munros:2   
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland