walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Tee from White Bridge

Ben Tee from White Bridge

Postby yokehead » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:50 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Tee

Date walked: 05/02/2010

Distance: 14.9 km

Ascent: 811m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

When updating some stats in my blog I noticed that I hadn't posted a report of my day on Ben Tee, strange since I have the small photos that I'd prepared for the report and wrote reports for the days each side of this. It was way back in 2010 but I thought I'd post it since it was walked from White Bridge rather than Kilfinnan and includes a bit of a circuit instead of being all out and back. And descent was made from the summit to the north, down some steepish ground for a bit of winter sport. Even a modest hill can offer excellent scope in the right winter conditions!

The walk was done with my mate Gary, very fitting as we drove toward Loch Garry! Memory is a bit vague but I think we were able to drive down a track south from the main Forestry Commission car park at White Bridge, to a car park at NH281005 shown on the OS map. If that's not possible then the White Bridge car park is fine, just adding a bit to the walk. Probably best to do this walk in frozen conditions or after a dry spell.

The WH page for Ben Tee mentions our route as an alternate and also points to using the Allt na Calliche Trail walk as part of it, which I would recommend since it is a bit shorter and looks more scenic!
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/alltnacalliche.shtml

g40.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Our initial route was different but the key element is getting to the forestry track/path that heads north at NH266001. To get here we took the main forestry track heading west from the car park, turning sharp left onto another track after about 1.7km from which the northbound track branches after another 0.5km. After 2km the trees end on the left, just beyond this a path turns left to cross the Allt na Calliche at a ford.

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

The path shown on the map peters out at about 400m leaving a plod of your choice for the 500m of ascent to the summit. But I expect there is a path of sorts now from bagger's feet taking the Kilfinnan route which is joined near here. Snow underfoot added interest for us along with distant views beneath clouds. It became colder and windy, hoods uuup!

Picture 009.jpg

Picture 010.jpg

Picture 013.jpg

BEN TEE 5 FEB 2010 013.jpg

Wind had sculpted the snow surface at the summit and the light quality was superb. Local and distant views to bleak snow covered hills, marvellous.

Picture 014.jpg

BEN TEE 5 FEB 2010 010.jpg

BEN TEE 5 FEB 2010 016.jpg

We descended a bit to the west of north, finding some good steep ground and differing snow conditions for inward-facing step-kicking and some cutting of steps with the axe.

Picture 016.jpg

BEN TEE 5 FEB 2010 031.jpg

Picture 019.jpg

Picture 022.jpg

Picture 026.jpg

Below the rocky ground we turned northeast and alongside the forestry to the north of Allt na Calliche ,then back along our outward route.

Picture 029.jpg

Picture 030.jpg

Hopefully I'll be back to Scotland for some winter fun in Feb next year, it's been far too long since I've experienced the Scottish snows! For regular reports on winter conditions in the Cairngorms I recommend Gary's blog, and he does winter skills courses there.
https://tarmachan.blogspot.com/
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Re: Ben Tee from White Bridge

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:02 pm

Nice route yokehead. I went in from White bridge also a few years back but followed the track further and ascended to the bealach between Ben Tee and the Loch Lochy munro. It seems fairly remote until you come across a sign post for Kilfinnan (I think it was) :roll:
It was summer that time but Ben Tee is a good wee winter hill.
Great report. All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Re: Ben Tee from White Bridge

Postby yokehead » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:27 pm

Cheers ST.

Your route looks like a good option, that would lead to a climb of the north side so would be a great winter option and give a good romp of descent back through the woods.
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland