walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Summer's day on Beinn Eighe

A Summer's day on Beinn Eighe

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:19 pm

Route description: Beinn Eighe (western summits)

Munros included on this walk: Ruadh-stac Mòr (Beinn Eighe), Spidean Coire nan Clach (Beinn Eighe)

Date walked: 18/07/2017

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1116m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We had waited for really good weather to tackle Beinn Eighe, Roger had climbed Beinn Eighe as a teenage (about 55 years earlier) in poor weather so for him the views at least would be new. We left the canine part of the team at home, the Beinn Eighe ridge is too dry for black dogs on a hot day, and the scree doesn't treat their paws too kindly. So we followed the Walkhighlands route, chatted to some interesting people and had a wonderful day. The weather was if anything too hot - by the end of the day I was beginning to feel the effects of too much sun (well I'm acclimatised to the north of Scotland - what can you expect :lol: :lol: Roger was elated that he could still do the route he'd first done as a teenager now he was in his late 60's a true achievement :clap: :clap:

Walking along the road form the car park, a good view of our objective

Sgur Dubh and Loch Clair

Liathach comes into view

Resting place on the ascent

Amazing scree slopes

Liathach again (and not the last view either!)

Mountain of Beauty - Beinn Alligin

Munro number 1 in sight - Spidean Coire nan Clach

Looking west

Loch Clair and Loch Coulin

... and again

Summit number 1

The route to munro number 2

Beinn Allign again

Geological interest

The side of Beinn Eighe not seen from the road - with its own geological interest

Contrast with this almost Cairngorm like slope in the midst of the jagged Torridon hills

First glimpse of Coire Mhic Fhearchair and the triple buttress

The climb up to Ruadh-stac Mhor

The prow of Ruadh-stac Mhor

Beinn Eighe and the Black Carls

The Triple Buttress again

Summit pose

The scree shute down which I made a very slow and careful descent - but was it so slow because I was expecting it to be difficult, would it have been easier if I didn't know what to expect?

The waters of Lochan Coire Mhic Fhearchair

Classic view of the Triple Buttress

Evening view

Final view of Liathach
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland