walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Trotternish Ridge (Purist Touriust route) X 3

Trotternish Ridge (Purist Touriust route) X 3

Postby headless spectre » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:48 pm

Route description: Trotternish Ridge

Fionas included on this walk: Hartaval, The Storr

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Ben Dearg (Trotternish)

Date walked: 09/11/2010

Distance: 36.5 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Trotternish ridge South to North ‘Three attempts'
The original plan was to leave the car in Portree, camp around Hartaval and catch bus back from Floodigary the next day
Early June in Portree at three in the afternoon and most people were eating ice cream while I hiked through town with a heavy rucksack, feeling very old, a little hot and probably looking rather stupid. Six hours later I was at the southern foot of the Storr completely knackered. Six hours, six miles a complete failure. Portree to Beallach Beag, just south of the Storr is pathless bog the majority uphill. It may be for the purist walking the whole ridge but it is mindlessly stamina sapping hell which I recommend is avoided. It may look flattish but it is undulating peat hags with rocky outcrops which make walking in a straight line impossible, each step is an effort as your foot has to be prised out of the ground and raised up above the long, grass/ heather/moss only for it to sink down into the vegetation again.
Camped at Beallach Beag but next morning with aching legs and defeated in rain and cloud I hitched back to Portree, the car and the comfort of the Arriba Cafe.
Second attempt was in August, I started where I left off at the south side of the Storr. Rain and low cloud again forced me to retreat from the ridge having walked the Storr, back to the car park and then drifted north in the car to the Quiraing, and with improving weather walked from the Quiraing car park to Sorin Vorin.
This left the main central (quiet) section of the ridge.
November 9th clear and sunny, forecast was good. Parked at Storr car park and took seven and half hours to Quiraing car park, where I hitched back to the main road and a cup of tea in Staffin and a lift then back to the Storr car park. Many thanks to the good people of Staffin for providing lifts when asked.
Favourite peak along the ridge is Beinn Dearg, (park by the waterfall and go direct to the top keeping right of the castle like rock, there is steep grass scrambling and billiard table lawns), and of course Beinn Edra where I always feel at home.!
Attachments
Dun Gerashader, just outside Portree.jpg
Beinn Dearg is there somewhere.jpg
Looking north from Ben Dearg and the Storr is now in view..jpg
Between Beinn Dearg and the Storr. Looks flattish but its not..jpg
Looking south to Ben Dearg.jpg
Storr rock.JPG
Hartaval.JPG
From Hartaval looking north towards Sgurr a Mhalaidh and Baca Ruadh.JPG
Sgurr a Mhalaidh in the centre and Baca Ruadh far right. The only flatish section..JPG
Sgurr a Mhadaidh Ruaidh  in to view with Beinn Edra  behind..JPG
Sgurr a Mhadaidh Ruaidh, ( with strange pens on its flanks).JPG
Creag a Lain to the near lft and Bein Edra to the far right.JPG
From Beallach Leacaich looking above Cuithir to Sgurr a Mhadaidh Ruaidh and Baca Ruadh in the distance.JPG
Groba nan Each.JPG
Looking south from Beinn Edra all the way to th Storr.JPG
North to the Quiraing from Beinn Edra.JPG
Biodha Buidhe, the last climb before the car park.JPG
From Biodha Buidhe looking south to Beinn Edra.JPG
Looking down on on Dun Dubh (r) and Druim an Ruma (l).JPG
Looking back to Biodha Buidhe from Creag Liosgte.JPG
Looking down on the Quirang with Staffin Bay beyond.JPG
Leac nan Fionn.JPG
Sron Vourlinn.JPG
Looking back southwards.JPG
The very end, its about one mile from here to Floodigarry. (allow an hour!!).JPG
headless spectre
Hill Bagger

Munros:12   Corbetts:1
Fionas:4   

Re: Trotternish Ridge (Purist Touriust route) X 3

Postby foggieclimber » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:08 pm

Great stuff.

A Trotternish traverse is very high on my wishlist.
Perhaps in 2011.
foggieclimber

Postby rockhopper » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:55 pm

Some lovely photos there headless - and well done for keeping going back as it worth it :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby mountain coward » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:08 am

Yeah, I'd like to do the traverse too - great photos of it there :D You're probably right to break it up like that though, although I'd probably try to do it the same week or something but maybe break it up into a few days. I wouldn't want to carry a heavy pack along it though...
mountain coward

Postby malky_c » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:34 am

Would also love to do this :D
Took me a few years to fully appreciate it but there is much more to Skye than just the Black Cuillin!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby mountain coward » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:11 am

I'm looking forward to everything on Skye... except the Black Cuillin (and probably also the Red) :o
mountain coward

Postby goldeneagle » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:09 pm

Just completed the Trotternish ridge from North to South and can understand your frustration with the first part from Portree. I recommend starting at Flodigarry for several reasons:
i. the area around the Quiraing is so spectacular it would be a pity to abandon the walk before getting this far
ii. with a strong north wind behind me it was much easier climbing up the slopes.
iii. If you start at 9am you can enjoy a mid morning haggis roll from the man with the van in the Quiraing car park as you pass by
I took 9 hours end to end but baled out at the Storr. I found the route exhilarating but at times the lack of a path made it hard work. There are long grassy bits but there are other sections of bog, boulders and uneven moorland. And there are plenty of ups and downs so don't see this a pure ridge walk.
On the peak at Quiraing I looked down on a pair of golden eagles in their eyrie. Quite spectacular.
And one final point - in the whole 9 hours I didn't see a soul on the hills, it's quite an isolated walk with no easy safety routes down to a road. On the other hand my mobile walked almost all of the way..
goldeneagle
Munro compleatist

Postby RicKamila » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:18 pm

Oh, Love the photos. Skye is wonderful.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby rocket-ron » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:12 pm

We planned to do this last may. But weather was crap. So trip cancelled. But planning now doing it end of this month. Goig from north to south
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:94
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby L-Hiking » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:11 pm

Wonderful, wonderful, great pictures and wetting my appetite for my trip in September. Thanks headless
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland