walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gana Hill and Wedder Law from Durisdeer

Gana Hill and Wedder Law from Durisdeer

Postby desmondo1 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:48 am

Donalds included on this walk: Gana Hill, Wedder Law

Date walked: 12/09/2018

Time taken: 4.25 hours

Distance: 18.8 km

Ascent: 939m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Gana Hill Durisdeer.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

My route today was Gana Hill beginning from Durisdeer and taking in Wedder Law.
start.jpg

Wedder track on left and return track through Glenaggart centre
A simple case of following the estate track all the way to Wedder Law, a constant climb but I have covered this walk before on the blog so rather than bore you I will cover only the Gana Law section. Except to say that again the views were great and the green rolling hills looked magnificent. Red Kites in abundance.
rk.jpg

Red Kite
Thankfully the winds were not nearly as bad as forecast and only a couple of very light showers, so far so good.
gana.jpg

Gana Hill from Wedder Law
Visibility was very good and from Wedder summit Gana Hill can be clearly seen.
The map suggested following the fence down but I can see a whole lot of peat hags so instead I headed slightly west across the moor before heading towards the grouse gun butts which are on the right of the snap.
Once over these and onto the higher ground I headed towards the next fence line. Boggy in places but easily bypassed I followed a faint track on the left of the fence up to Gana Hill. You don’t see the main cairn until you finally crest the hill (there is a smaller one) but at least there is one, unlike Wedder Law.
daer.jpg

Daer reservoir from Gana, meadow pipit photo bombing
The views are super, ignore the turbines. To the north Daer reservoir is shimmering and looking back over Wedder the Lowther radar stuff stand out. Behind me Earncraig & Queensberry which looks ominous as a dark cloud puts it in shadow, two hills for another day to complete this area.
Next I head towards Garroch Fell initially going towards the small cairn when I come across another estate path. If you want off the hard pack then the moorland is easier on your feet.
IMG_8604.JPG

Gana Hill from Garroch Fell
Ironically Garroch Fell is the lowest of these three hills but has by far the biggest cairn.
I rejoined the estate track circling around Garroch Fell but next time I will consider going cross country heading for the two sheepfolds before rejoining the track.
20180912_132011.jpg

Remote track
There is a real feeling of isolation as you are boxed in by the hills and the unpopulated sheep pastures. Close calls with both a kestrel and a buzzard.
hills.jpg

Brief blue sky in the rolling hills
Water levels are high as they course down from the hills with a few of the burn crossings requiring at least one foot full in the water.
partridge.jpg

Waiting for the partridge shooting season will it survive?
Finally the track reaches the estate bothy before heading down through the tranquil Jock’s Cleuch where I met a birdwatcher, the only person spotted today. This area, Glentaggart is where the partridge shoot takes place.
Wildlife: Red legged partridge, Red grouse, Raven, Red Kite, Buzzard, Kestrel, Meadow pipit,
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Re: Gana Hill and Wedder Law from Durisdeer

Postby Graeme D » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:45 pm

Must be nice when you get to see stuff from up there! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland