walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vrackie

Ben Vrackie

Postby litljortindan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:17 pm

Route description: Ben Vrackie, near Pitlochry

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Vrackie

Date walked: 04/09/2018

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 640m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was the day before I was bound for a two-day conference in Glasgow and the day after playing football so I was looking for something not too demanding but also something that I could do in the early morning in low light if necessary.

In the end I decided on Ben Vrackie and to set off at just before 4am to replicate my timing for the next morning. This wasn't really a great idea but I suppose it alerted me a bit to how tired I was going to feel the next day.

Pleasant drive down followed by a pleasant walk through the woodland which was more extensive than expected.

Good path all the way to the top and although I could feel my legs a wee bit from football I managed the walk very easily albeit at a slow pace.

Overtaken by an old timer just after the dam. Met him again at the top where he told me he'd recently had a hip replaced and that this was his twenty-fourth ascent of this hill this year.

A fine summit with good views.

ImageDSC00819 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC00822 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC00825 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC00828 by John Little, on Flickr
West Lomond.

ImageDSC00829 by John Little, on Flickr
Both Lomonds.

ImageDSC00832 by John Little, on Flickr
Summit beckons.

ImageDSC00861 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC00872 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC00873 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC00907 by John Little, on Flickr
Ben Lawers and Ben More.

ImageDSC00912 by John Little, on Flickr
Last few metres.

ImageDSC00913 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC00916 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC00937 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01028 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01036 by John Little, on Flickr
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland