walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Resipol hill race

Beinn Resipol hill race

Postby kevsbald » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:12 am

Route description: Beinn Resipol from Resipole campsite

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Resipol

Date walked: 15/09/2018

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 12.2 km

Ascent: 810m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had never been over to Ardnamurchan before but by booking into the Beinn Resipol hill race, I would have a chance to explore this region - albeit in a race! I enjoyed the drive up and ferry over and once I got out of Ardgour and started the drive up towards and past Garbh Bheinn, I was already working out when I could come back. The drive to Strontian was wonderful and even the wee single track to Resipol was great. I eventually arrived at the campsite at 1210, with 20 minutes left before registration but I hate hanging about before races anyway. I changed and checked in, then mustered for the pre-race briefing. Probably as relaxed as I've ever felt before a race knowing that the distance was short and the ascent not huge. I had hoped for a time of 1 hour 45 or less but just intended to enjoy myself and take photos where opportunities afforded. I couldn't see where the hill was and the anticipation of seeing her reveal herself (!?) was real.

About 130 runners were competing as this was the final race of the Scottish Hill Race season and I started near the back as I'd hopefully catch a few up over the field once things opened up after the forestry, which we were told was narrow and wouldn't allow for overtaking. However, what I hadn't banked on was how boggy the early running was.
IMG_7440_kp.jpg
Looking to distant summit

My first 5k up the mountain was done in 50 minutes, which was not bad going but the final kilometre and the 280m ascent to the summit saw me slow down with a 19-minute km. An hour 10 to the top. I wouldn't get down in 35 minutes so took care on the initial descent, which was very slippy. Once out of the coire, I ran just behind a lassie who was at my type of pace (in 2nd photo).
IMG_7442_kp.jpg
Descent and looking out over to Loch Sunart
When we finally hit tarmac/Land Rover track, things really sped up and as we raced to the finish line, I opened up the legs and pipped her and another lassie to the line. I felt chuffed with myself until I realised I finished 106th of 132 runners!
KP3_wh.jpg
Getting let out for the day

The last 2.2km were done in 11 minutes so I finished strongly.

I finished in 2 hours flat and while I was a good bit down the field, I thoroughly enjoyed the race with occasional views. One to come back to from Arundle to get a less boggy experience hopefully. Great post-race food and a cracking t-shirt. Now to slow it down and once again get back into fully savouring the hill experience.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Beinn Resipol hill race

Postby Avocetboy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:37 am

Excellent Kevsbald. Enjoyed reading that, tempted to do this event next year, I've hiked Resipole and I can well imagine the final K was tough to the summit. Its a great way of getting up and down the hills, especially when time is limited!!!
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby Graeme D » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:08 pm

Where's the tap o' yer heid gone in that last photie (the "care in the community" shot)? :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby kevsbald » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:21 pm

With these 50-hour weeks at work, I almost feel like I am being let out of the madhouse.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby malky_c » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:58 pm

Good to see you back on the site (and the hills) again. Tough way to do Resipol!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland