walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Teallach

An Teallach

Postby tombombadilio » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:19 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bidein a' Ghlas Thuill (An Teallach), Sgùrr Fiona (An Teallach)

Date walked: 26/05/2018

Time taken: 9.1 hours

Distance: 19.7 km

Ascent: 1526m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

0533: Set-off from packed lay-by by MR baseImage

Looking down Little Loch BroomImage

Height quickly and not too strenuously gained for amazing vistaImage

Horizon off - bit unsteady on my feet. Ridiculous, laugh-out loud viewsImage

AT still hiddenImage

First glimpse, getting excitedImage

Plateau of Sron a'ChoireImage

SaCImage

Before the funImage

Glas ThollImage

Pleasant pull up to summit, good path, geometricalImage

0810: Bidein a'Ghlas Thuill summitImage

What the flipImage

ShadowImage

Not a fan of selfies, but just had toImage

Start of descentImage

Cairngormesque rocksImage

0900: Sgurr Fiona summitImage

SFImage

Ad-hoc sunblockImage

LBSImage

LBS panoImage

Bypass path for meImage

Don't fancy this in winterImage

Bypass over, Cadne Gobhlach aheadImage

Zero wind, heat radiating off stone - surprising snow patchImage

RockImage

Not for scrambling soloImage

Loch na Sealga from CGImage

Bouldery Sail LiathImage

From whence I cameImage

Amazingly found a grassy bed amongst all this for a well-earned snoozeImage

Adrenaline wearing off, hanging out my hoopImage

Quality shotImage

Path to F6, path to ATImage

Pleasant but baking, didn't bode well for days ahead, water sources gonna be keyImage

1451: Back to oven, no pics on road walk back, didn't try hitching, hanging but elatedImage

Summary:
Must've set off from Lincolnshire at 1800 the day before after a day-shift. Quiet roads after 2000 - best way to get north. Stopped Perth: fuel, supplies at 0000, Inverness: first light, Dundonnell MR: 0515. Packed lay-bys, but found a space. Perfect walking conditions, no midge, bit of breeze to wake me up. Strange exhaustion and debated whether this was sensible after being up for 24 hours. Adrenaline played a large part and the push to not miss these views, in fear that some non-existent front would move in - clearly not today though, blue skies everywhere. Bidein a'Ghlas Thuill summit ridiculous, surreal. After 0900/1000, sun's heat very noticeable. Pleasant sleep on Sail Liath and first encounters of the morning. Smug satisfaction to meet people struggling up when the hard work is behind you. Or so I thought - descent and long walk out down Gleann Chaorachain and road back to car, mentally brutal. Short drive to hostel. Incredible day.
tombombadilio
Walker

Munros:261   Corbetts:24
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:8
Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland