walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mount Keen - Invasion of the Zatapathiques

Mount Keen - Invasion of the Zatapathiques

Postby zatapathique » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:54 pm

Route description: Mount Keen from Glen Esk

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 20/08/2018

Time taken: 5.6 hours

Distance: 18.2 km

Ascent: 715m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After the soaking wet day on Mayar and Driesh the day before, the weather forecast for the day finally was accurate. No rain and good visibility promised a nice day out in Glen Mark. Again, Mrs Zatapathique accompanied me. Mount Keen would be her 4th Munro and my 50th.

We left the car at the Invermark car park at the head of Glen Esk and set out into Glen Mark.
Photo150 IMGP6200.JPG
Into Glen Mark

IMG_5804.JPG
Zatapathique consulting the map at full speed

After one hour, we reached the Queen's Well with its granite arches. I tried to imagine what happened back in 1861. Queen victory throning on her pony on the way from Balmoral, addressing her entourage by "We feel thirsty. Find us a well!" Reading about it later, the well was already known at the time. After the royal visit, one Lord Dalhousie built the granite arches in shape of a royal crown above it.
Photo151 IMGP6201.JPG
The Queen's Well seen from afar

Photo154 IMGP6204.JPG
The Queen's Well

Photo158 IMGP6208.JPG
I wouldn't drink from it...

Behind the well, the path rose steeply besides the Ladder Burn to reach the Cairngorms plateau.
Photo160 IMGP6210.JPG
The Ladder Burn. Mount Keen already visible

With the excellent track, the ascent was easy, and we quickly came to the point where the path to Mount Keen's summit forked off.
Photo161 IMGP6211.JPG
Mount Keen coming closer

The path on Mount Keen's south ridge steepened, and I let Mrs Zatapathique go at her own slower pace and reached the summit some ten minutes before her. Of her four Munros, one was the most southerly (Ben Lomond), one the most Easterly (Mount Keen).
Photo163 IMGP6213.JPG
Looking back along the south ridge path

IMG_5810.JPG
Zatapathique on the summit

Photo166 IMGP6217.JPG
Lochnagar from the summit

Photo167 IMGP6218-IMGP6220 Pano.jpg
Panorama to the West

Photo175 IMGP6222.JPG
Lochnagar

We had a small banana and cookie lunch, then went back the same way we had come, spending some time taking pictures of caterpillars.
Photo179 DSC_4807.JPG
Caterpillar no. 1

Photo182 IMGP6225.JPG
The Queen's Well from above

Photo186 IMGP6229.JPG
All's Well. That sheep's well.

Photo191 IMGP6234.JPG
This is just marked as "monument" in the OS map on the Hill of Rowan

Photo204 DSC_4817.JPG
Caterpillar no. 2

20180820_ACTIVE LOG100557_Grafik2D.jpg
Altitude profile created with GPSTrackAnalyse.net
Attachments

2018-08-20 Mount Keen_red.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

zatapathique
Mountain Walker

Munros:96   Corbetts:4
Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:26   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland