walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Walking the provost’s and oak walk

Walking the provost’s and oak walk

Postby Cbastiaan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:11 pm

Route description: Provost's and Oak Walk, Auchterarder

Date walked: 23/09/2018

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 7 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

From the city centre starting this walk I didn’t know what to expect, walking in auchterarder is known to me, but this is the first of probably many walks.

Just outside the city centre you get a grand view of the Orchil hills and walking down to the part you need to take to make this round you still have a good view on the hills, the start is already very good.

I walked along some buildings, farms and at the end I needed to walk along a small path ending up inside the woodlands, that was a surprise how nice this is taken care of. A lot of animals to see, wooden and real and if your look good maybe you find Nessie.

After the woodlands I walked through the edge of town, just to cross the road at st Margaret’s hospital and along the recycling station onto the updated path for the provost’s walk, this part of the route is fully hard surface and I guess in the evening also has light in the road. The walk is smooth and you have very nice views on the right to the Orchil hills and on your left the newly build homes in auchterarder. Also you can cut your walk shorter because of the exits you can take to the streets and high street because we aren’t not finished with this walk.

After this smooth walk you end up down at Ruthven street and you can go back to high street, I chose to walk on. And this is rewarding, not only do you walk through woodlands, but there is a nice stream along the path, that eventually end up dropping a few feet, that’s a bonus. After a while you will get at a point where you need to cross the road and you walk past offices a gym and then you need to keep moving, there will be a stairs at the end of this path that leads to a magnificent and rewarding view over the A9 towards the Orchil hills...
the rest of the walk will be within the town centre and onto some good cafes.

The paths and roads are well maintained, so you can walk this on sneakers, like I did, but preferably you need proper walking shoes :) have fun it is a nice walk!
Attachments
AB8461B8-0C7F-4ECA-B979-468DCFABF7F1.jpeg
Cbastiaan
Mountaineer

Re: Walking the provost’s and oak walk

Postby John Anderson » Tue May 12, 2020 11:59 am

This walk has been extended with Phase 3 and now instead of going through the Park past the recycling centre you should turn Right when you reach the Western Road Junction following the footpath towards the A9. Just past the Cemetery and Gated Housing estate, with Gleneagles Golf Course to the North, you will find the new path leading down and around and then rejoining the previous instruction. :D
John Anderson
Ambler

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland