walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

It takes two idiots to come up with a properly stupid plan!

It takes two idiots to come up with a properly stupid plan!

Postby Jaxter » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:12 pm

Route description: Beinn an Lochain

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn an Lochain, Binnein an Fhìdhleir (or Stob Coire Creagach)

Fionas included on this walk: Stob an Eas

Date walked: 22/09/2018

Time taken: 11.5 hours

Distance: 31.55 km

Ascent: 2330m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Saturday 22nd September 2018 - Stob an Eas & Beinn an Lochain
18km
1366m ascent
7 hours

I finished work in Helensburgh at 12 and drove up to the Rest and Be Thankful to meet Malcy. He had successfully bagged a total of 0 Marilyns on the way down :lol: Although we had several plans, I tentatively mentioned that the forecast looked pretty good overnight… and before we knew it we were heading down to Butterbridge with something of a plan :lol:

We headed along what we thought was a track….and after a few seconds I had wet feet :roll: We aborted and walked down the road for a short distance before an actual track materialised. About 4km later we arrived at the road junction where we followed a forest track for a few metres before cutting steeply uphill through felled trees and long grass. It was tough going with heavy packs and intermittent rain and we were both blaming each other for having such a stupid idea :lol:

But looking back to Loch Fyne was nice 8)

Looking up the glen towards Beinn Ime

It was tough going but eventually we came out the top of the steepest section and onto a very boggy plateau

Oh look….my favourite hill :lol:

The impressive ridge of Beinn an Lochain came into view as we gained more height

Wee rainbow on Binnein an Fhidhleir

Finally on the summit ridge we could see down to Loch Goil

Beinn an Lochain looked an awfully long way away :shock:

The sun almost breaking through the rain

We walked along the summit ridge – now much easier walking and we also found a path which lead us to the summit of Stob an Eas – probably the least visited hill in the Arrochar Alps :lol:

Looking back towards Binnein an Fhidhleir

Towards Loch Fyne

The Paps of Jura

I ditched my pack and made it onto the trig point – Stob an Eas 8)

We headed back along the ridge which gave us a great view down towards Loch Goil this time

We followed the path which was fairly intermittent but psychologically it was nice 8) It was a good ridge and enjoyable walking despite the wind. We dropped down to the bealach and looking back it seemed that this was the more interesting side of the hill 8)

Our legs were tiring as we made the climb up Beinn an t-Seilich and we were glad of a pretty view which gave an excuse to stop :roll:

At the top of Beinn an t-Seilich we could see ahead to Beinn an Lochain – although it was now closer we could see the ascent that we were facing…ooft :shock:

Loch Goil

Beinn an Lochain

Binnein an Fhidhleir in the sunshine

It was a rough descent to the bealach but by the time we were there we had scoped out our route up. Our feet were wet anyway so at least we didn’t need to worry about avoiding the bogs anymore :lol:

Heading up we could see Loch Fyne again as we gained height

Oooft that looks like a long way for tired legs :shock:

Malcy in action 8)

As we climbed higher the sun started coming out and we could see back to Beinn an t-Seilich and Stob an Eas

Evening light and the impressive wee balancing rock of Beinn an Lochain

Stob an Eas and Loch Fyne

As we made progress we reached the top of the impressive corrie; Old Man’s Face

Malcy walking along the corrie edge

The standard route up

The sun had come out and it had turned into a beautiful evening – the summit camp was on 8)

Finally on the summit we were able to dump the packs and enjoy the awesome views 8)

Looking across to the other summit – we still weren’t quite sure which was the real summit so we had a wee wander, whilst looking for a suitable camp spot

Stob an Eas and Loch Goil – some evening 8)

Looking down to the Rest and Be Thankful – pretty much deserted now :lol:

Ben Donich and The Brack

Ben Donich, Cnoc Coinnich and the Firth of Clyde

Beinns Ime, Luibhean, Narnain and The Cobbler

The sun begins its descent

I see a little sillhouetto of a man… :lol:

The sun was rapidly disappearing, the temperature was dropping and it was time to get the tents pitched. The wind had dropped and we found a suitably flat spot 8)

Camp was made so it was time for some messing around – my extra layers made me look like Santa :lol:

Loch Goil

Down towards Ben Donich

Loch Goil

We retreated to the tents to brew up some hot food as it was really cold :lol:

Dinner and hot chocolate was enjoyed but it was definitely a sign of the year progressing as not only was it pretty chilly but it was also completely dark by the time we were finished!

Hunting through my stuff I discovered I’d carried some unnecessary weight :lol:

We were just debating how early it was ok to go to bed without appearing to be a wuss when we decided to go for a wander the few metres back to the summit.

The light of a thousand suns on the cairn

We stood around nattering about all sorts of nonsense and watching the cars going through the traffic lights at the Rest and Be Thankful – it’s amazingly sad how excited we got taking bets about how many cars were going to get through the temporary traffic lights before they changed….oh Saturday nights eh :lol: :lol:

I tried taking photos of the moon….they didn’t work very well :roll:

It was actually nearly 10 when we went back to the tents :lol: Our tents were pitched close enough together that we were both able to crawl into our sleeping bags and still chat….well…I talked and Malcy probably tuned out :lol: :roll:

But out of the wind and in my sleeping bag with all my clothes on and my feet finally dry I was lovely and toasty :D

Just as we were nodding off….
“Hey Malcy?”
“Mhhmmmm?”
“I’ve got an idea for tomorrow….” :lol: :lol:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually we did get some sleep and the next morning woke up inside a cloud, although at least it wasn’t raining :roll:

It was really cold so we packed everything up inside the tents before putting them down as quickly as possible :lol:

We climbed the few metres back to the summit where I had my spidery something-is-about-to-happen feeling….we wandered around the summit, jumped about a bit to get feeling back into our extremities and talked some more nonsense….

We were only a teeny tiny bit too high so it seemed worth waiting around a few minutes to see if anything was going to happen….

It almost did but the cloud seemed to be a bit stuck. We headed down the ridge – it was a wee bit awkward in places with big packs and wearing boots with no grip (I really need to walk in my new ones :roll: )

Beinn an Lochain is a seriously impressive hill – look at those cliffs :shock:

We dropped in and out of the cloud as we descended and got some lovely views down towards Loch Fyne

Very impressive :shock:

There’s that wee balanced rock from the other side!

Looking further down the ridge – the cliffs looked pretty eerie :shock:

The sun attempted to break through and I was on the look out for Broken Spectres….but it was not to be

But I did get a fog bow 8)

Malcy catching up

Looking down towards Glen Kinglas

Towards the Rest and Be Thankful

Loch Restil and Ben Donich

We crossed the wee burn and looked back up to Beinn an Lochain – it was still shrouded in cloud

It was so wet and pathless here that we hopped up onto the road and walked rather than swam the few metres back to the cars :lol:

Beinn an Lochain summit camp.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Sunday 23rd September - Binnein an Fhidhleir
13.55km
964m ascent
4 hours 50 minutes

After a certain amount of messing around at the cars we both had day packs ready to go – leaving the cars parked at Butterbridge we headed a few metres back along the road, through the gate and followed the steep (and very boggy) path up Stob Coire Creagach.

Height was gained quickly and we soon had great views back to Loch Restil and Beinn an Lochain

It was easy enough walking and although Malcy had said the path disappeared pretty quickly I managed to follow it all the way up :thumbup:

As we climbed higher it got rockier and in between plateaus we wound our way in between the crags

Beinn Ime in the cloud, Beinn Luibhean and The Cobbler

Beinn an Lochain and Stob an Eas

Climbing over the top of one steep section I heard a “mmpphhh” from behind me – Malcy was trying to utilise the mud to make his skin soft….that’s his story and he’s sticking to it :lol:

Glen Kinglas, Ben Vorlich and Ben Vane

Zoomed towards Abyssinia Bothy

On the ridge the views opened out towards Beinn Bhuidhe

The Cruachan hills

Looking down the ridge towards Ben Lui and Ben More

It was a few metres further up to the summit of Stob Coire Creagach – and with a look at the map we realised that this actually was the summit, despite the trig point being further down the ridge

Some views eh 8)

The previous day’s hills – Beinn an Lochan Beinn an t-Seilich and Stob an Eas

Beinn Ime, The Cobbler and Beinn Luibhean

Ben Lui and pals

Cruachan and pals

Stob Coire Creagach true summit

We headed off down the ridge towards the trig point – kind of had to go there and it was a nice day anyway 8)

Malcy getting in my way…what an ass :lol:

The final ascent ahead…

We had a wee wager at how long the ridge would take us – for once I won :lol:

Loch Fyne

Beinn an Lochain – a very impressive hill, especially from this more unusual angle

Ime and pals

Looking back to the summit

It was cold and windy but I still managed to pose in front of some Fyne views 8)

Malcy jumping for joy

It was stunning but very cold so we headed back along the ridge; the views were still awesome

Vane and Vorlich

A great ridge 8)

We wandered further along the ridge for a while; as we approached Abyssinia bothy we searched for a route down

Abyssinia and Ben Vane

We wound our way in between crags and ended up wading through deep grass….if this wasn’t bad enough it soon became deep grass and tussocks. It was prime ankle-breaking territory and we both made some interesting noises and entertaining minor tumbles :lol:

Towards the Rest and Be Thankful

Looking up what we had descended :shock:

Down Glen Kinglas towards Beinn an Lochain

Abyssinia Bothy – nearly there!

A few metres along the track and we were there! Malcy had carried cake and custard so we popped into the bothy for some scran – a couple of other guys were there and they told us that there had been plenty of folk there the night before. It was a great bothy – one for another time for sure 8)

It was time to get going – we had a 2 mile walk down a very good track in the sunshine

Stob Coire Creagach – way more impressive than the photos suggest

The awesome Beinn an Lochain

Back at the cars we were both very glad to get our wet boots off and be out of the wind. I was also very glad to have a nice short drive home, compared to Malcy’s 3 and a half hour slog :lol: Another cracking weekend though my one of my favourite idiots :lol: 8)

Binnein an Fhidhleir.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: It takes two idiots to come up with a properly stupid pl

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:21 pm

"it’s amazingly sad how excited we got taking bets about how many cars were going to get through the temporary traffic lights before they changed….oh Saturday nights eh"

haha that me me laugh out loud :) :clap: :clap:

Abbyssinia bothy eh ...the name always fascinated me and took me years to find out why a house in a remote Gleann in the Highlands was called after an African country lol :)
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby Stefan1 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:52 pm

Great snaps, and looks like an amazing, if rather tough walk!

Rather jealous of that sunset!
Stefan1

Postby malky_c » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:22 pm

Nice one - a pretty good summary of the weekend. I'm worried that I ended up thinking a summit camp was a good idea - had dismissed it the day before after looking at the forecast :lol: . Of course it worked out fine, if a bit chilly 8) . At least I managed a Marilyn on the way home!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Jaxter » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:25 pm

Collaciotach wrote:"it’s amazingly sad how excited we got taking bets about how many cars were going to get through the temporary traffic lights before they changed….oh Saturday nights eh"

haha that me me laugh out loud :) :clap: :clap:

Abbyssinia bothy eh ...the name always fascinated me and took me years to find out why a house in a remote Gleann in the Highlands was called after an African country lol :)

We are so rock and roll :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stefan1 wrote:Great snaps, and looks like an amazing, if rather tough walk!

Rather jealous of that sunset!

Cheers - was worth being a bit chilly for that 8) 8)

malky_c wrote:Nice one - a pretty good summary of the weekend. I'm worried that I ended up thinking a summit camp was a good idea - had dismissed it the day before after looking at the forecast :lol: . Of course it worked out fine, if a bit chilly 8) . At least I managed a Marilyn on the way home!

2 idiots - stupid squared :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Sack the Juggler » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:31 am

Great report and a fantastic walk... but

why is the bothy called Abyssinia? and I am the only one who started singing "Once upon the Seas of Abyssinia" in my head when I read it?
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Jaxter » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:11 pm

Sack the Juggler wrote:Great report and a fantastic walk... but

why is the bothy called Abyssinia? and I am the only one who started singing "Once upon the Seas of Abyssinia" in my head when I read it?

I can't find any info on why it's called Abyssinia...it's marked on the older maps as an abandoned building by that name, but no idea why! Others may have more idea? 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Sgurr » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:58 pm

Great report of a really extensively challenging trip (or do you just sail along with that huge pack by now? NIVEA :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: )

Jaxter wrote: it’s amazingly sad how excited we got taking bets about how many cars were going to get through the temporary traffic lights before they changed….oh Saturday nights eh

In my teens, I sat a long while in an eye hospital forbidden to read or watch TV, and it was REALLY EXCITING taking bets with myself about how many black cars would come along before a coloured one...those were the dreary '50s, and the BEST thing was that they discovered what was making me go blind and stopped it in its tracks. Hooray.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:40 am

Seems like anything but a stupid plan to me - a wonderful area, and some cracking pics. I still need to walk in this area - only done the main 4 so far.

Presumably the bothy is now called Ethiopia...???
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Jaxter » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:19 pm

Sgurr wrote:Great report of a really extensively challenging trip (or do you just sail along with that huge pack by now? NIVEA :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: )

Jaxter wrote: it’s amazingly sad how excited we got taking bets about how many cars were going to get through the temporary traffic lights before they changed….oh Saturday nights eh

In my teens, I sat a long while in an eye hospital forbidden to read or watch TV, and it was REALLY EXCITING taking bets with myself about how many black cars would come along before a coloured one...those were the dreary '50s, and the BEST thing was that they discovered what was making me go blind and stopped it in its tracks. Hooray.

😂😂 it’s amazing the things we find to amuse ourselves isn’t it, and they seem hilarious at the time. Looking back... :roll: :crazy:

Alteknacker wrote:Seems like anything but a stupid plan to me - a wonderful area, and some cracking pics. I still need to walk in this area - only done the main 4 so far.

Presumably the bothy is now called Ethiopia...???

They are all good hills around there. And the Corbetts are generally quieter, and inifinitiely more appealing :wink:
As far as I know Abyssinia is a little behind the times in that regard :wink:
Jaxter
Wanderer

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland