walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Clagged out on Sgritheall!

Clagged out on Sgritheall!

Postby thomsok » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:18 pm

Route description: Beinn Sgritheall

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Sgritheall

Date walked: 04/08/2018

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Staying in Arnisdale for a few days I did not want to miss the chance of a Munro right on my doorstep, the weather had been quite good but the still conditions was not helping to blow away the hilltop cloud and the forecast was not set to change. The best looking day dawned with no improvement, decided to go with it anyway and see how we got on. The initial path through the new planting was a bit wet but straightforward.
Sgritheall 1 Resize.jpg
Heading through the fenced area looking up into the mist!

Once through the fence and onto the hill path height was gained very quickly, the path could be seen clearly striking straight up alongside the stream. At least it was still dry at this point and reasonably calm.
Sgritheall 2 Resize.jpg
Cloud still hanging low as we headed up the path!

Once into the cloud and out of sight from Arnisdale, quite eery feeling as we passed through a small gully.
Sgritheall 3 Resize.jpg
Into the mist and very quiet on the hill!

The path gets a bit fainter, but no less steep, it was still fairly easy to continue our route up to the Bealach. Finally the path flattens out and you pass a small lochan we looked for the old fence line that heads straight up the hill through the scree. At this point the wind got up and it started to rain. My Son who was accompanying me was beginning to wonder why he had signed up for this day out! Very steep up through the scree and very loose under foot in places but it only took about 30 mins to reach the Eastern top and caught our breath at the cairn.
Sgritheall 5 Resize.jpg
Eastern top cairn at 906m was a relief when it came into view!

The wind was quite strong as we headed along the ridge but was grateful for the better footing and shallow descent and then climb up to the Summit proper. The ridge narrows at the end and felt quite airy with the cloud/mist swirling around. Once at the summit managed to get a bit of shelter at the cairn, quick change of top and a bite to eat.
Sgritheall 7 Resize.jpg
Broken trig-point and substantial cairn at the summit!

Unfortunately, no view today and no one else seen on the hill either. Son was very pleased to have reached the top of this one too, his first sea level ascent, I think he was doubting himself at one point.
Sgritheall 8 Resize.jpg
Pleased to get to the top of this one, pity about the view!

Didn't hang around long at the top and just went for the retrace of our route up seeing as visibility was so poor.
Sgritheall 4 Resize.jpg
Loch Hourn coming into view as we descended through the clouds!

It was good to get below the clouds and get a slight view of Loch Hourn as we trudged down the hill!
thomsok
Mountain Walker

Munros:176   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   Islands:28

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland