walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Them bones

Them bones

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:04 pm

Route description: Breabag and the Caves of Assynt

Corbetts included on this walk: Breabag

Date walked: 15/09/2018

Time taken: 12 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 712m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another not-so-great weekend weather-wise and another evening spent pondering over maps, guides and forecasts, trying to find a place somewhere, where rain and strong winds won't reach. And once again, it was the far north.

We decided to go to Assynt despite a good chance of showers, hoping to spend a few hours in the moonlike landscape of weird mountain shapes and holes in the ground. We were torn between Canisp and Braebag, decided on the latter since Canisp looks like a good hill for winter. Plus I was keen to visit them Bone Caves again.

We had been in the caves several times. In 2012, I described in detail our lurking around Bone and Trailgill Caves. We had climbed Braebag in 2009, but it's been a long time since then and we didn't mind returning to this Corbett as it is a fantastic viewpoint for not much effort.

Apologies for an error in the GPX file. For some strange reason, it starts from Bone Caves, but we began walking from the car park, of course. The report statistics above include full distance and ascent.

Track_BRAEBAG 15-09-18.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

In the subject of stalking. The local estate displays all info about stalking days on a board at the Bone Caves car park. They stalk Mondays to Saturdays and kindly ask walkers to follow paths, ridges and streams in corries. There is no strict ban on walking when stalking is taking place, but in case of this hill, it's best to follow the straight up and down route from Bone Caves which was what we did.
Sunny morning in Assynt:
2018-09-15 braebag 002.JPG

The path to the caves is well worn and very popular. On that particular Saturday, several groups/couples visited the caves but we were the only ones who continued up the mountain :D
The walk starts from the car park by following a small river - Allt nan Uamh:
2018-09-15 braebag 014.JPG

Curiosity didn't kill the cat this time, as I poked the bottom of the spring half way up the glen:
2018-09-15 braebag 018.JPG

Higher up, the river bed is dry, but don't be fooled. This area is full of potholes and the river simply found an easier flowing route underground...
2018-09-15 braebag 024.JPG

On the path up to them Bone Caves:
2018-09-15 braebag 032.JPG

The dry riverbed continues up the slope opposite the caves. We had a better look at this feature on the way down from the Corbett:
2018-09-15 braebag 033.JPG

The caves are always fun to explore, despite not being very deep. Requires spending some time in crouching position though :wink:
2018-09-15 braebag 039.JPG

Looking for cave monsters or maybe more bones?
2018-09-15 braebag 045.JPG

My investigative nature took over... Kevin laughed at me when I was poking inside suspiciously-looking holes in case something was lurking in the shadow... Are you there, Moriarty?... :lol: :lol: :lol:
2018-09-15 braebag 064.JPG

Nah, it's neither Moriarty nor Sherlock, but it's always nice to do something different than just march up and down a steep slope...
2018-09-15 braebag 075.JPG

The caves from the outside:
2018-09-15 braebag 081.JPG

Panoramic view of Beinn nan Cnaimhseag and the glen of Allt nan Uamh:
2018-09-15 braebag 085.JPG

WH walk description follows the dry riverbed to the right hand side, but we turned left following another stream and soon we were out on the heathery slopes of Braebag. We stayed close to the stream all the way up as the stalking instructions suggest. We didn't see any stalkers, but encountered a small herd of deer grazing about half way up the corrie.
The only way is up... Sometimes a bit wet :D
2018-09-15 braebag 088.JPG

Looking back down to the glen and the cliffs of Bone Caves, Canisp in the background:
2018-09-15 braebag 090.JPG

The morning was cloudy and when we arrived, the tops of mountains were still hidden in thick clag, but at some point in the late morning, conditions improved and sun came out, burning off the cloud. We caught a superb moment of light on Suilven and Canisp, managed to take some photos. It only lasted about 15 minutes, then the patchy cloud was back and the world around us returned to its usual grey state :(
2018-09-15 braebag 095.JPG

Zoomed Suilven:
2018-09-15 braebag 105.JPG

Cul Beg and Ben Mor Coigach:
2018-09-15 braebag 098.JPG

Cul Mor:
2018-09-15 braebag 104.JPG

Cloudy weather returns!
2018-09-15 braebag 116.JPG

We spotted a few distant showers passing by, one of them over Quinag. We were in a safe dry zone at the moment, but the wind was quite strong and we knew conditions might change any minute.
2018-09-15 braebag 117.JPG

The main ridge of Braebag is a mess of countless rocky lumps and ridges, it could be very confusing in mist, but we had been lucky so far. Having a GPS with exact grid ref for the summit is very helpful in this labyrinth of scree and hillocks:
2018-09-15 braebag 125.JPG

I was happy enough to pose for a mad panther photo:
2018-09-15 braebag 123.JPG

Ben More Assynt - Conival ridge sill basking in sunshine, but it wasn't going to last long...
2018-09-15 braebag 122.JPG

We went to the easternmost bump first (it has a small cairn, visible from below, but it is not the true summit) for the views in the eastern and south-eastern direction, but another band of cloud was racing towards us and the southern hills like An Teallach were not visible any more...
View east:
2018-09-15 braebag 140.JPG

The summit has a stone shelter built around the site of a long gone trig point. At 815m, this is not the highest hill in the area, but views on a good day are outstanding. On the previous occasion, we were lucky enough to see south to An Teallach and the Fannichs. Here is a photo from that day in 2009:
Lucy claimed her 77th Corbett...
2018-09-15 braebag 143.JPG

...but we had little time to celebrate, as the aforementioned bad weather front was now very close! We could see the band of rain racing towards us from the south-west:
2018-09-15 braebag 138.JPG

We had a quick cuppa and snack, then dressed up in waterproofs to face the shower. It arrived as we were leaving the summit, gusty winds but the rain wasn't as heavy as we feared. We descended carefully down the rocky rubble first, then followed a stream down to the glen. Kevin wanted to take a look at the upper end of the dry riverbed of Allt nan Uamh, so we took a slight detour to investigate this feature.
The WH route actually goes UP this side, quoting: "a trace of a path climbs very steeply up and out the right side of the glen; it is exposed at one point and requires care."
If it requires care when climbing up in dry conditions, it is definitely a hazardous slide on the way down and in the rain :lol: :lol: We crawled down the very steep section into the ravine, checking every step with our walking poles. I would NOT recommend descending this way, especially in wet conditions. Better to stay above the ravine and just follow the heathery slopes down to the spot just above Bone Caves.
We managed to get down and avoid breaking them bones. Once in the ravine, we discovered a waterfall gushing down and the river soon disappearing underground. We wanted to take some photos, but it was still raining plus my camera run out of juice and Kevin's was buried in his rucksack, so we gave up and followed the dry again riverbed down to the open glen. When the rain stopped again, Kevin dug up his camera and took a few snaps of the ravine:
2018-09-15 braebag 152.JPG

Looking down towards Bone Caves:
2018-09-15 braebag 153.JPG

Once back on the path we walked past a few other cave visitors, but none of them looked like heading up the higher ground. Most folks prefer to stay on safe low ground when weather is unsettled, only maniacs like us have to get to the summit of something pointy every time we leave house! :lol: :lol: :lol:
In my next story (from last weekend) we're going back to a certain unfinished business involving twisting and shouting 8)
Last edited by BlackPanther on Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: Them bones

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:05 pm

Amazing views from there! The pictures of Suilven are fabulous from that angle.

I still find it a bit weird to think of this being limestone country with caves and underground streams. Just seems too far north!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Re: Them bones

Postby malky_c » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:57 pm

Looked good :D . I did a very similar walk a few years back - Breabeag is a much better hill than it looks from a distance 8) . I know how I’m going to go up it next time though....
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland