walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Binnein an Fhidhleir and Rannoch Moor

Binnein an Fhidhleir and Rannoch Moor

Postby malky_c » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:06 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Binnein an Fhìdhleir (or Stob Coire Creagach)

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Glas Bheinn

Date walked: 23/09/2018

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1080m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Corbetts: Binnein an Fhidhleir
Sub 2k Marilyns: Glas Bheinn.
Date: 23/09/2018.
Distance: 12km + 3km.
Ascent: 900m + 180m.
Time: 4 hours, 50 minutes + 40 minutes.
Weather: Cold breeze but sunny.

Link to previous day
Having had quite a chilly night on Beinn an Lochain, we decided to head out for another walk after returning to the cars on Sunday morning. I had quite fancied a circuit of Beinn Bheula and surrounding hills, but was quite happy to do something a little shorter and with no extra driving required. So we easily settled on Binnein an Fhidhleir with an extension to look at Abyssinia bothy, where we had originally intended to stay on Saturday night.

BAF map.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was a new hill for Jackie - one of the few she hadn't been up close to Glasgow. Similarly for me, it had been one of my last few Corbetts back in my bagging phase. I had enjoyed it greatly then, finding it full of character but way quieter than the surrounding hills.

Loch Restil and The Brack

However, even with something of a path low down, it wasn't going to be dry - the recent heavy downpours and awful weather made the lower 200m a complete quagmire. Still, it was better than yesterday's fight through the long grass!

On the way up Binnein an Fhidhleir

Beinn an Lochain, Beinn an t-Seilich and Stob an Eas

Summit crags

I seem to remember the path petering out last time, but this time we seemed to follow something of a trodden route most of the way up - even if it did get a bit faint in places. Higher up, we weaved some interesting routes through outcrops - you could almost be in Knoydart or Kintail around here. Beinn Ime and Ben Vane look massive from this angle - towering walls of steep grass and outcrops.

Looking up Glen Kinglas towards Crianlarich

NE ridge of Binnein an Fhidhleir

On the summit, there was a cold breeze, but the colours were stunning. It was clearer than yesterday, and Arran and Jura were both visible in the distance. For some reason I assumed the western summit was the higher of the two (as I'd been over to it last time), but it turns out not to be. I must've visited it last time for the better views down Loch Fyne - which is exactly what we decided to do just now :) .

West across Argyll

Western summit

It's definitely worth the wander, as the ridge is pleasant (and easy walking) and the views west definitely are better. Even the awful hydro track on Beinn Bhuidhe didn't look such an eyesore today - maybe the ground around it will recover more than I thought it would. We took bets on how long it would take to reach the trig point (I lost :roll: ).

Loch Fyne

Summit jumping

A glimpse of the Firth of Clyde behind Beinn an Lochain

Loch Fyne from the western summit

Ben Lui and Ben Oss

On the way back over, we saved a minute or so by contouring the main summit, but we were so close to it we may as well not have bothered. I was quite looking forward to following a bit of the NE ridge, as it looked nice.

Beinn Ime and Beinn Luibheinn

NE ridge

The ridge made for a pleasant walk, although it got a little wetter lower down. Unfortunately we had to leave it as we drew level with Abyssinia. The ground looked fine (if a little steep), but the tussocks and long grass made the descent fairly unpleasant. There were plenty of 'oohs' and 'aahs' (and probably some interesting language too :lol: ) as we made our way down to the floor of the glen, never able to get any momentum going. On the plus side, the scenery was great - you don't often get the same feeling of remoteness in this part of the world.

Ben Vane and Abyssinia

Jaxter silhouette

Abyssinia

We finally hit the track near the bothy, and took a wander along for a look. It was nicely fitted out, and now with a stove as well. A couple of guys were there, and had stayed the previous night - apparently it had been reasonably busy, with 7 of them in. I had failed to make cake and custard as promised last night (it was far too cold on Beinn an Lochain to mess around with cooking any more than necessary), so I had brought it along today along with the stove - it made a nice late lunch 8) .

Beinn Ime

Approaching Abyssinia

Almost at the bothy

All that remained was a 40 minute walk down the glen back to the car. The going was even easier than I expected, as the track was practically tarmac in places. Certainly a good way to extend the route on Binnein an Fhidhleir, although I'd probably consider taking the entire length of the NE ridge in next time and dropping to the track where it crosses into Gleann a' Mhill Bheag. Then it was time to hit the road - fortunately not too late in the afternoon. For a change Jackie just had a short journey home while I had a longer trek back up the A82.

I didn't mind though, as I decided to take advantage of the last of the daylight to nip up another hill. I would like to have gone up Cruach Tairbeart, but wanted something shorter, so I picked Glas Bheinn on the edge of Rannoch Moor. While not quite as accessible as Meall Mor to the west of the A82, the summit is still a mere 20 minutes from the road. A shower hit just as I left the car, but passed over pretty soon.

GB map.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Clach Leathad across Lochan na h-Achlaise

There's a little bit of hag-hopping to get to the hill itself, but there are traces of quad bike track to follow, and before you know it, you are on the ridge. It's hard to decide, but I have a feeling the view from Glas Bheinn is slightly better than from Meall Mor - hard to say as they are both great. The rainbow over Loch Laidon and sunshine on the Orchy hills really made things this evening.

Loch Ba and Rannoch Moor

Loch Ba

Beinn a’ Chreachain and Beinn Achaladair from Glas Bheinn

Stob na Cruaiche from Glas Bheinn

Loch Ba and the eastern Mamores

A82

Rannoch Moor panorama

Beinn a’ Chreachain

Then it was on to Fort William for a quick chippy stop, before I remembered that Fort William chippies are mostly awful, so I ducked into Wetherspoons instead. Glad I did, as I bumped into (Scottishhills member) Johnm there, who was heading up to Poolewe after a few days around Fort William. Nice to catch up :D .

Then home, arriving not too late. A great weekend in a part of the country I don't visit that much, and some great company too 8) .
Last edited by malky_c on Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Binnein an Fhidhleir and Rannoch Moor

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:46 pm

Good to see this area in pics - I have a few potential routes planned for early next year once the sawbones has given me the all-clear, and your pics show that the impression of pretty wild and characterful hills one gets from the map is correct.

Following hill and munro bagging, I think you should start a new cairn jumping/bagging collection :D .
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: Binnein an Fhidhleir and Rannoch Moor

Postby onsen » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:24 pm

That red spec of Jackie on the NE ridge of Binnein an Fhidhleir with the mountains unfolding into the distance as far as the eye can see, really adds to the feeling of remoteness....I like it.
onsen
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland