walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Hart Fell Heart Horseshoe to White Coomb

The Hart Fell Heart Horseshoe to White Coomb

Postby Chris Mac » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:06 pm

Route description: Hart Fell ridges horseshoe, near Moffat

Corbetts included on this walk: Hart Fell, White Coomb

Donalds included on this walk: Hart Fell, Swatte Fell, Under Saddle Yoke, White Coomb

Date walked: 22/09/2018

Time taken: 8.14 hours

Distance: 24.6 km

Ascent: 1601m

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hart-Fell-to-White-Coomb_2D4DT.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After hiking up a few Munro's up at Loch Tay and getting thoroughly soaked for most of it, I hatched a plan for our walk the next weekend and decided it was about time Iain headed south for a change to get up some of the Southern Uplands. Adding to this choice was the forecast which said it would be the best place to walk to stay dry so it wasn't a tough choice to head for pastures new.

I had my eye on a Hart Fell heart-shaped horseshoe to White Coomb, starting at Blackhope, heading up to Swatte Fell then Hart Fell, over to Under Saddle Yoke & finishing with White Coomb. We would Include any the Donalds & Donald tops en route during the long, tough and often pathless hike but it would still prove to be a grand day out with good views.

A quick collection in our home village to scoff some brekkie rolls soon saw us heading south on the M74 towards Moffat, through the town and down Moffat Dale to park at Blackshope. Someone was already parked and set off just after we arrived. We saddled up then headed along the road and immediately ahead was Hang Gill:
ImageDSC_6287 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We went through the gate and crossed the field, faced with a large vertical wall of grass...
ImageDSC_6291 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The Walkhighlands route has a zig-zag path heading up the right of the Hang Burn but the gent who set off ahead of us had reached it and was going up the left side of the burn, which looked a little easier. We decided to press on up the steep slopes of Hang Gill and it was pretty brutal, steep, grassy, we even scrambled a few times on all fours!

Sometimes we thought we were on a path and it was more likely soil creep, meanwhile bracken was getting in the way and after checking it was ok moments before, I turned around to check my dodgy camera lens cover and it wasn't there, dammit... no chance i'm heading back down to find it even if it's within a few feet of me, chalk that off to an early loss, we're not off to the best start! :roll:

We pressed on though and it eased slightly higher up allowing for another breather. The view down:
ImageDSC_6302 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Fellow walker across the gorge, we had now caught up so our route although tougher was more direct:
ImageDSC_6304 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We were now on more level ground and making our way towards Black Craig:
ImageDSC_6309 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Atop Hang Gill we had spotted 3 other walkers who set off after us, they had now reached the top and the three groups were fairly evenly spaced out. We looked to be the lone walkers on these hills today and our paths would cross a few times. They had now reached the top and the lone walker was inbetween us:
ImageDSC_6321 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The good thing about a steep ascent is the views getting good in no time and we approached the outcrop at Black Craig, a perfect photo spot:
ImageDSC_6335 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking across to Under Saddle Yoke, Saddle Yolk and Carrifran Gans which we would mark the middle and final peaks of the heart-shaped route we had planned:
ImageDSC_6341 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It has to be done... :)
ImageDSC_6348 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_6365 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We now had sight of Corbett number 1 for the day to the north, Hart Fell:
ImageDSC_6377 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It was just a short distance to the summit of Nether Coomb Craig, Donald Top 1 done:
ImageDSC_6383 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Summit looking towards Swatte Fell:
ImageDSC_6384 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

An appealing aspect of this walk and the reward for the steep initial ascent is that you then have a nice high level grassy ridge walk to enjoy although the route we had chosen would be fairly long and not always on good paths but we had a get out clause of just finishing after Saddle Yoke if we felt the need.

Heading along to Swatte Fell now, Lowther Hills in the distance:
ImageDSC_6389 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

This wee lochan isn't on the OS map, maybe it's just a big puddle...? Beyond it is Queensberry to the south west, the shapely southern outlier of the Lowther range:
ImageDSC_6393 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The classic shot of Swatte Fell with Hart Fell back right:
ImageDSC_6395 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Hart Fell's broad summit:
ImageDSC_6399 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We reached the cairn of Swatte Fell, Donald number 1:
ImageDSC_6402 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We then followed the route which I had plotted to take us over the actual proper summit of Swatte Fell "Summit feature: no feature: ground a few metres from two sections of ruined wall" and this inevitably led to a discussion about summiting a large flat summit area like Swatte Fell and many others we've been on. We decide that for us, as long as you are standing on the main summit, if' it's a big round area you can claim success as long as you can't see any obvious higher point from your current position.

Lowthers:
ImageDSC_6406 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Rain to the north:
ImageDSC_6408 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Next up, Hart Fell...
ImageDSC_6414 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We follow the fence, good paths or quad tracks are usually on both sides for most of these hills although I tell Iain that the Ochils and Pentlands are brilliant for paths by comparison, with routes heading between every hill and top making random route taking a joy. He's yet to experience the enjoyment and views many of the smaller hills around the central belt. :D
ImageDSC_6418 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We have a good view over to the rest of our route, heading left to right along the foreground hills to the two Yokes, then back and round right to left and to White Coomb mid centre in the distance:
ImageDSC_6459 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Our 2nd Corbett target for later in the day, White Coomb:
ImageDSC_6460 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We continue along Upper Coomb Craig, looking back we see the three walkers on Nether Coomb Craig:
ImageDSC_6470 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Not far behind us now, having dingey'd Swatte Fell, is the lone walker:
ImageDSC_6477 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We soon reach Donald Top number 2, Falcon Craig:
ImageDSC_6501 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

From Falcon Craig it's a wee dip down then up to Hart Fell Craig:
ImageDSC_6515 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Under Saddle Yoke, Saddle Yoke and Falcon Craig as we stride uphill, by now we're looking forward to a lunch break to refuel as it's been pretty constant so far with us only stopping for pics or a quick breather on the way:
ImageDSC_6516 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Easy going up to the summit now...
ImageDSC_6519 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We've still got this lot to get over, going to be a long day... :lol:
ImageDSC_6525 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The Moffat Dale Hills directly south along with Nether Coomb Craig standing out in shadow:
ImageDSC_6530 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The summit cairn is soon in view and we're relieved to see a wind shelter as it had got a little breezy towards the top of my 15th Corbett, number 16 for Iain:
ImageDSC_6540 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Tinto on the left and Culter Fell on the right behind Iain:
ImageDSC_6551 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We settle down for food and I get out the big lens for a look around. First up I see the lone walker on his way to join us shortly. To the north west is Lowther Hill:
ImageDSC_6589 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Green Lowther next door:
ImageDSC_6593 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Further to the right and in the distrance I spot Cairn Table and tell Iain it's a good one for him and the kids to get up since it's so local for us. It's also one of the highest Marilyns, only 16m off Graham height:
ImageDSC_6601 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Tinto Hill to the NNW:
ImageDSC_6609 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Tinto's huge summit cairn, visible from 16 miles away:
ImageDSC_6612 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Culter Fell, both these hills owe me a good view day so I might have to get up them again at some point this winter...
ImageDSC_6617 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

As I look around and spot Broughton Heights and the Pentlands to the north east, two ranges i've enjoyed exploring this year:
ImageDSC_6623 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It dawns on me... Hart Fell fell is actually a bloody good viewpoint! I've seen it from countless other hills but unfortunately unless you are up close and personal, it's just a big round lump from any other viewpoint! :lol:

Broughton Heights (Pyked Stane Hill) & Trahenna Hill:
ImageDSC_6624 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Penvalla and silhouetted in the distance are West Kip, East Kip, Scald Law and Carnethy Hill:
ImageDSC_6641 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Broad Law:
ImageDSC_6644 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I sit down and enjoy my lunch while chatting with Iain. The lone walker approaches and joins us and we get chatting, he's from Aberfeldy and has done all the Munro's and tops so we are instantly respectful of his experience and enjoy a good blether about walks, hills and more.

We spotted the group of three walkers at the rear approaching as we packed up to make our way towards the two Yokes. Our Aberfeldy friend was just doing the normal Hart Fell horseshoe and wished us well for our longer adventure.

Just as we set off we chatted briefly with the other walkers who were also doing the horseshoe, best to boost and give them the room, we also had a lot more walking ahead of us.... Iain didn't realise quite how much at this point! :wink:

We made our way east towards Hartfell Rig, Black Hope looking very impressive with its steep flanks. Iain agreed, he was loving his first proper adventure in the Southern Uplands not counting Tinto, at the moment anyway... :lol:
ImageDSC_6655 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

A single grassy path made a more direct route towards Saddle Crags, we took it instead of the longer route along the fence. White Coomb still looking very far off in the distance:
ImageDSC_6659 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Nice:
ImageDSC_6672 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_6673 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The ground dipped slightly, we were absorbed by the view:
ImageDSC_6705 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Falcon Craig:
ImageDSC_6706 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Hartfell Craig and Hart Fell:
ImageDSC_6708 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Our next target, Under Saddle Yolk, a fair bit of down and up to go first though...
ImageDSC_6716 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Heading down towards Whirly Gill:
ImageDSC_6730 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Nether Coomb Craig and Hound Bank:
ImageDSC_6735 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We decide we'll head to where the streams join as it looks like the best place to cross the burn. We also planned to head up the left side of the burn towards the 629 point on the map...
ImageDSC_6739 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We reach the burn at Whirly Gill, it's very scenic with lots of small waterfalls:
ImageDSC_6755 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We cross easily...
ImageDSC_6758 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Instead of sticking to our plan, we pretty much head straight uphill in unison:
ImageDSC_6761 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking back up to the long route between Hart Fell and Under Saddle Yoke, can you spot Aberfeldy man on our tail?
ImageDSC_6762 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Hart Fell, the good side! :D
ImageDSC_6765 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We found another single grassy path and followed it up and around, it took you more along the edge of Redgill Craig and was better for the view:
ImageDSC_6770 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_6773 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Hart Fell again, we were really enjoying the show of light and dark with the clouds and sunlight continously changing the colours, shadows and highlights:
ImageDSC_6779 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Atop Redgill Craig the going eased off on the legs with our next Donald for the day the next stop:
ImageDSC_6782 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Nether Coomb Craig, we're finally across from it, almost at the halfway point:
ImageDSC_6789 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Iain was tiring a bit, unfortunately the going would be continuing this way for another four hours! :D
ImageDSC_6804 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Hart Fell, a most enjoyable horseshoe:
ImageDSC_6806 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Down behind us the lone walker was closing, Culter Fell still visible behind him:
ImageDSC_6809 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Approaching Under Saddle Yoke summit, steep sided and pointy:
ImageDSC_6815 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It's the perfect time to bring out the wide angle lens:
ImageDSC_6821 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Under Saddle Yoke & Saddle Yoke:
ImageDSC_6825 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Thin ridge time!
ImageDSC_6829 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_6836 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The pointier but lower Saddle Yoke, Donald Top:
ImageDSC_6846 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We enjoy a break as Aberfeldy guy passes and says see you on Saddle Yoke:
ImageDSC_6857 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Down and up we go...
ImageDSC_6862 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Swatte Fell with it's two tops:
ImageDSC_6863 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

White Coomb and Carrifran Gans toi the east, we have the option to call it a day now or mark this as half way and go for a bigger day, coming down Carrifran Gans to the right, of course there is only one way this is going to go for the two of us! :lol:
ImageDSC_6865 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Saddle Yoke:
ImageDSC_6868 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We pass over the summit and head to the cairn for a chat, all three of us admiring the view:
ImageDSC_6874 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Rain south east, we're doing well to avoid it so far:
ImageDSC_6876 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The hills of the Southern Upland Way across Moffat Dale:
ImageDSC_6878 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking south east towards Galloway:
ImageDSC_6882 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Half way and our route travelled so far:
ImageDSC_6885 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We finish chatting and wish our friend well, he does the same and says he doesn't fancy extending the walk as we're about to do, making us even more determined to go against the grain and go for the two Corbetts in one shot, we like an adventure!
ImageDSC_6888 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

At half way with our new route and second half of the heart shaped horseshoe ahead of us:
ImageDSC_6890 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Under Saddle Yoke:
ImageDSC_6897 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Down and up again...
ImageDSC_6902 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It's now a case of follow the fence east:
ImageDSC_6911 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Firthhope Burn waterfalls:
ImageDSC_6913 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Trudge trudge along the single grassy path, I comment on it still being miles better than the descent off of Misty Law!
ImageDSC_6916 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_6920 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Heading towards Firthhope Rig now:
ImageDSC_6934 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Cape Law from the 687 point on the map above Raven Craig, at the fences and junction we head right down to Rotten Bottom
ImageDSC_6935 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Getting there...
ImageDSC_6938 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking back at the two Yokes in shadow:
ImageDSC_6944 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Rotten Bottom, Games Castle (the rocky ourcrop) and Firthhope Rig:
ImageDSC_6945 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

At this point Iain questioned if this is a normal route between the two corbetts, I say it's not but that there should be grassy paths between them or at least along the fences according to some maps. We start heading along the fence where there is indeed a faint grassy route towards Games Castle but then it veers right and we continue along, now heading more directly towards White Coomb:
ImageDSC_6949 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We continue on, deciding to just go direct again:
ImageDSC_6952 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_6957 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I enjoyed this part of the walk, it's one that most people doing on horseshoe for Hart Fell and the other for White Coomb will normally miss:
ImageDSC_6962 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Games Castle on our left, I kind of wanted to play around on it but our route took us away from it, maybe another time:
ImageDSC_6965 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We were both a bit tired now and decided to have a wee break half way up the ascent of Firthhope Rig and enjoy an energy snack and the view. Back behind us is a cave, another feature to explore some other time:
ImageDSC_6981 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The two Yokes, look good from almost any angle:
ImageDSC_6986 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We continue on uphill and it's safe to say Iain wasn't enjoying another grassy ascent! Looking over to our final Donald Top Carrifran Gans:
ImageDSC_6998 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_7001 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We had decided to head for Firthhope Rig to stay high level instead of dropping down and up again with the true direct route. Now on level ground again and to the north Tinto and co. are being hit by rain although it is a line of clouds clearly extending north west to south east and missing us completely, convenient:
ImageDSC_7023 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We make it to Firthhope Rig, not long to go now:
ImageDSC_7026 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Broad Law in shadow:
ImageDSC_7037 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The going would get easy now for the final pull up to the summit of White Coomb:
ImageDSC_7041 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_7043 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Still dodging the rain...
ImageDSC_7051 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_7053 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

After a short ascent the summit cairn comes into view:
ImageDSC_7056 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We cross the fence and look back towards Hart Fell and the setting sun:
ImageDSC_7058 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Although another broad round "Meall-esque" summit, White Coomb is an excellent viewpoint and the Eildon Hills take centre stage to the south east:
ImageDSC_7069 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking north again:
ImageDSC_7075 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Tinto, Culter Fell and Broad Law:
ImageDSC_7081 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

South:
ImageDSC_7092 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We enjoy another break and chat about the view:
ImageDSC_7096 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It's time to set off again...
ImageDSC_7108 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We deploy our poles as going by the route we've planned we have a steep descent to deal with, one much steeper than we realised!
ImageDSC_7120 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Heading SWW now:
ImageDSC_7128 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

To the west Hart Fell is looking lovely in the evening light:
ImageDSC_7131 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Just our final top Carrifran Gans to summit now with a n ice easy down and up:
ImageDSC_7133 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

On the way along the grassy quad track we spot some slime and investigate it, Star Jelly apparently...
ImageDSC_7139 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I doubt it is from a meteorite finding the regurgitated frog explanation to be the most sensible but the jury is still out and Star Jelly is still being found on our hills.

Almost there...
ImageDSC_7146 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking back on a sunlit White Coomb:
ImageDSC_7147 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Made it:
ImageDSC_7154 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Hart Fell, well worth a visit:
ImageDSC_7157 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We follow the path to a stile and start heading down the right side of the fence:
ImageDSC_7159 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Visibility is excellent now and the sunlight is making the final descent very scenic:
ImageDSC_7173 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

About to hit the really steep section...
ImageDSC_7181 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

This part even catches me by surprise and I check the OS map contours again, convinced they should be much closer together for this part! :crazy:
ImageDSC_7197 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Iain's not enjoying it but the poles are helping, as is the faint but rocky path alongside the fence, which we use all the way down for extra support and balance. We question why anyone would ever think to ascend this way... :lol:
ImageDSC_7198 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Down steep section number 1, we had more to go! :roll:

Our final section for the walk, down the hill to the road, along where the shadow goes to the right and around the hillside of Saddle Yoke back to the start:
ImageDSC_7201 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It doesn't look too bad from here...
ImageDSC_7206 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Road visible again:
ImageDSC_7213 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

This shows our steep descent a bit better and we were very surprised to see someone else going down this way:
ImageDSC_7238 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The sunbeams were kissing hill tops:
ImageDSC_7240 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Back on tarmac at last, Iain was relieved, as was I! :D
ImageDSC_7258 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Now it was just an easy stroll along the road, country code being followed of course as Moffat Dale is a fairly busy wee road but the locals drove with care and seemed friendly as they passed.

A 559m drop, 27 mins according to Naismith but it took us 50 minutes due to having to take care going slowly on a steep hillside with big boulders from the dyke to hurdle the whole way:
ImageDSC_7263 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking down Moffat Dale:
ImageDSC_7264 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Progress was fast along the road:
ImageDSC_7265 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Back at the start, Hang Gill up ahead, I joke that we could just do another round again! :lol:
ImageDSC_7274 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We've finally done it, a long but enjoyable day up some great hills and we only had a drive of just over an hour to get back home, brilliant! Sunlight kissed the top of Saddle Yoke as we left:
ImageDSC_7279 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Doing both of these Corbetts and the Donalds and tops all around (take your pick, plenty to choose from) makes for a great walk if you don't mind a lot of trudging up grassy hillsides. The scenery is outstanding, as Iain said at one point it wouldn't go amiss in the highlands. It looked like the Southern Uplands had won Iain over so we'll need to go and explore around the Galloway Hills the next time we venture south.

Moffat Dale was lovely too and the hills on the south of our start point, some Grahams and Sub-2000's, looked great throughout the walk with plenty of options for routes. The more I walk around the Southern Uplands the more they reveal and the more I like them, so if you've not been down here yet what are you waiting for...? :D
Last edited by Chris Mac on Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Re: The Hart Fell Heart Horseshoe to White Coomb

Postby iainwatson » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:29 pm

Brilliant walk report :clap:
That is one tough route! Probably due to the lack of paths,especially on ascent where trying to walk up on mossy hillside's felt like trying to walk up sand dunes!!
All the same it is a lovely area and we were blessed with good weather and views 8)
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby yokehead » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:28 pm

This is a fine, detailed description of what looked like quite a challenging round, nicely done, and good to see some off-piste work! :)

The hills certainly have interest, I especially like the look of the Yokes.

Coincidentally, I am re-reading Dave Hewitt's Walking The Watershed (a fine read), and have just read the section where he loops around the north part of your route taking in White Coomb and Hart Fell - so your report has added to that interest! :D

Shame about the windfarm/s though, they weren't there at the time of his walk. :(
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby Sack the Juggler » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:11 pm

absolutely epic walk and an epic report, I felt like I was walking it with you, thank you! :clap:

I love days like those, you just don't want them to stop, except at the end when you're heading home and you're knackered and just want to get back to the car. :D
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Chris Mac » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:08 pm

iainwatson wrote:Brilliant walk report :clap:
That is one tough route! Probably due to the lack of paths,especially on ascent where trying to walk up on mossy hillside's felt like trying to walk up sand dunes!!
All the same it is a lovely area and we were blessed with good weather and views 8)

Cheers, although to be honest... A'Chruach on Arran, descending from Misty Law and our Bothy trip to the Tarf Hotel were on much rougher ground, I didn't find this one that bad. :wink:

yokehead wrote:This is a fine, detailed description of what looked like quite a challenging round, nicely done, and good to see some off-piste work! :)

The hills certainly have interest, I especially like the look of the Yokes.

Coincidentally, I am re-reading Dave Hewitt's Walking The Watershed (a fine read), and have just read the section where he loops around the north part of your route taking in White Coomb and Hart Fell - so your report has added to that interest! :D

Shame about the windfarm/s though, they weren't there at the time of his walk. :(

Cheers Yokehead, is your username inspired by these hills? :D

I was quite surprised that only Old Danensian had done a walk report for both Corbetts although not taking in the two Yokes as well. It's always fun going off-piste and finding routes less well travelled.

Sack the Juggler wrote:absolutely epic walk and an epic report, I felt like I was walking it with you, thank you! :clap:

I love days like those, you just don't want them to stop, except at the end when you're heading home and you're knackered and just want to get back to the car. :D

Thanks Juggler, yeah I felt I could have kept going at high level for days but eventually you have to get home. The steep descent of Carrifran Gans actually took a lot out of us, it wasn't the easiest but provided the quickest and best way to finish the heart-shoe and get back to the start. :)
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby Guinessman » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:24 pm

Excellent, loved the Donalds.

Came down the way you went up and recall thinking how steep it was.

Good round, I left White coomb for another day but that the beauty of the Donalds, you can do various permutations.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby yokehead » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:12 pm

Chris Mac wrote:Cheers Yokehead, is your username inspired by these hills?

I was quite surprised that only Old Danensian had done a walk report for both Corbetts although not taking in the two Yokes as well. It's always fun going off-piste and finding routes less well travelled.

Well, Yokehead was the name my kids gave me when they were quite young, upon reflection I'm not sure if it's something derogatory and am now afraid to ask! :lol: But I should pay a visit to the Yokes, it seems fitting!

Keep up the off-piste jaunts, good and surprising stuff to be found that way. 8)
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland