walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Inverey 3

Inverey 3

Postby haslertom » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:57 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Iutharn Mhòr, Càrn an Rìgh, Càrn Bhac

Date walked: 30/09/2018

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 40 km

Ascent: 1671m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Bike in:- 9km, 50 min
Walk:- 22km, 7hr, 15min
Bike out:- 9km, 25 min

In early March 2018 I had attempted Glas Tulaichean and Carn an Righ starting from Dalmunzie House Hotel. On top of Glas Tulaichean I gave myself a fright in deep snow, blizzard and zero visibility and headed for home, leaving Carn an Righ for another day...

Carn an Righ is a long way from any public roads... I considered cycling up Gleann Fearnach to reach it, but after reading some reports on the incline involved, I decided (as a middle aged reluctant cyclist) that I didn't fancy it. I therefore chose instead to combine it with Beinn Lutharn Mhor and Carn Bhac for a longish day from Inverey.

Much pondering over maps to make a route... and I decided that passing south of Beinn Lutharn Bheag and Mam nan Carn would avoid needless ascent/descent and had the added bonus of visiting the remote and stunning Loch nan Eun. The route could be done in either direction, but I went clockwise as 1) I wanted to climb Carn an Righ 1st in case I flaked later in the day, 2) on the day there was a strong SW wind and I preferred it at my back along the tops.

Inver 4.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I left home on Deeside at 0530 and was on my bike leaving Inverey carpark at 0700. Into a stiff breeze and drizzle...It is a really nice ride in without too many hills, and 50mins later I left my bike at Altanour.

6.jpg

Good paths led me to the point where the Allt Beinn Lutharn burn joins the Allt Cac Dubh below An Socach. After that it was pathless heathery ground on the gradual climb around to Loch nan Eun. There were loads of deer around, and lots of deer tracks through the heather - so the walking was fine.

5.jpg
Loch nan Eun looking towards Glas Tulaichean

After Loch nan Eun there is a good path all the way to the top of Carn an Righ - which I reached at 1040. Its a long approach - 3hrs 40min after leaving the car park!

At this point I stopped taking pictures because it was raining / sleeting on and off and I couldn't be bothered getting my phone out. Other notes from the walking route are:- the steep descent NE from Beinn Lutharn Mhor is hard on the knees but at least is quite short! The long walk across peat hags to Carn Bhac I unexpectedly enjoyed, although I took a more direct cross country route than is shown on the map.

By the time I got back to my bike it was blowing hard from the SW - perfect. I flew down the track to Inverey in 25 mins without every changing out of top gear.

A good 8.5 hour day, and I recommend the Loch nan Eun diversion from Inverey.
haslertom
Mountain Walker

Munros:228   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:37

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland