walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Come on, let's twist again!

Come on, let's twist again!

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:33 pm

Route description: An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chròin, near Crianlarich

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin

Date walked: 23/09/2018

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1068m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It's only been a few months since our winter visit to An Caisteal and I can still remember the joy we had cramponing up the Twistin' Hill in the blazing early April sun. It was an extraordinary trip and we both loved it, despite not adding Beinn a'Chroin to the tally, but of course, safety came first. The traverse between the two Munros was too dodgy in winter conditions, but we didn't cry over it. It gave us an excuse to re-visit this route, climb the second Munro and above all, have more fun twisting on the northern ridge of the Castle :D

We followed the usual route from Glen Falloch up the Twistin' Ridge, traversing both Munros with some scrambling (albeit easy) involved. Glen Falloch was wet-wet-wet but that's not unusual, especially for this time of year. Weather was unsettled with passing showers, but mostly conditions were good with some sunny spells and low winds.

Track_AN CAISTEAL 23-09-18.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Starting from the layby on A82, we followed the beaten track into Glen Falloch. We saw even from the glen, that the slopes of An Caisteal were busy with walkers, single ones, pairs and larger groups. One party crossed the river and aimed for Cruach Ardrain which gave us an idea about an alternative route for this one. Kevin has done it (and Tulaichean) in the past, using the southern approach, but the route from Glen Falloch looks more convenient if we want to do this duo in a single day, driving from Inverness. But that's a plan for next year.
Back to An Caisteal, I was eager to tackle the steep slog up Sron Gharbh again:
2018-09-23 an caisteal 002.JPG

We took a slightly different line of ascent this time, but I don't think it makes much difference, the ground is just as wet everywhere :lol:
2018-09-23 an caisteal 006.JPG

Higher up, we picked a well worn path. Kevin was in good shape and he was charging up the slope with the speed of light, making me struggle as I did my best to keep up with him. I'm glad his injury is history now, but he should wait for his wife sometimes! :lol:
2018-09-23 an caisteal 013.JPG

Having climbed roughly 350m, we marched past a large group of young walkers (students, guessing by what I heard from their conversations). It made me feel better about myself, if I can still overtake teenagers up the hill, that means, there is still life in my old bones!
Looking down the busy ridge from near the top of Sron Gharbh:
2018-09-23 an caisteal 014.JPG

View west along Glen Falloch:
2018-09-23 an caisteal 017.JPG

The Twistin' Ridge awaits :D :D :D I know, I know, it's better in winter conditions, but never mind...
2018-09-23 an caisteal 020.JPG

The wind was not too bad higher up, but t had a cold edge, reminding us that winter is not far away! We stopped about half way along the ridge to dig up hats and gloves. Both in front and behind us, fellow walkers enjoyed the climb:
2018-09-23 an caisteal 037.JPG

The cloud was drifting just above summits and it looked like it may bring a passing shower, but overall, conditions were good, typical Scottish autumn with all the shades of orange brown and yellow... plus an occasional black in the shape of Black Panther :lol:
2018-09-23 an caisteal 039.JPG

As we neared the summit, the views got better despite the drifting cloud. Behind us, Tyndrum and Bridge of Orchy hills:
2018-09-23 an caisteal 042.JPG

The first portion of very easy scrambling, just below the summit of An Caisteal. This is nothing more than a large, rocky step. Funny, I didn't remember it from the winter visit. Must have been completely covered in snow and we just walked up it in crampons :lol: :lol:
Kevin approaching the first scrambly section:
20180923120937(1).jpg

Panther as seen from above :wink:
2018-09-23 an caisteal 057.JPG

View north-west with Ben Lui group in the foreground:
2018-09-23 an caisteal 063.JPG

We stopped on the top of the large outcrop (this is the literal castle) to take some more photos. The true summit was now only a short walk away:
2018-09-23 an caisteal 068.JPG

Our second target looked very steep but we wouldn't let Beinn a'Chroin intimidate us the way it did in spring!
2018-09-23 an caisteal 071.JPG

Looking back to the castle outcrop, Bridge of Orchy Munros in the background:
2018-09-23 an caisteal 073.JPG

The summit has two cairns, the northern one is marginally higher, but the southern one has better views towards Loch Lomond and surrounding mountains:
2018-09-23 an caisteal 075.JPG

A wider pano of the southern view:
2018-09-23 an caisteal 079.JPG

Beinn Dorain and the Tyndrum Corbetts:
2018-09-23 an caisteal 086.JPG

After a quick photo session on the summit, we descended a short distance along the path and found a large boulder, protecting us from the wind. It was time for a well deserved cuppa and as we enjoyed our picnic, we studied the ridge connecting An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chroin. We had mixed memories from the previous visit. The traverse is rocky in places and the bad step defeated us in winter conditions, but now it should not be a problem... At least that's what we hoped!
After lunch, it was time to face the menace!
2018-09-23 an caisteal 089.JPG

The descent path from An Caisteal is eroded and slippery, but it felt so much easier in summer conditions. We hopped down like a pair of eager rabbits :lol:
Loking back at An Caisteal:
2018-09-23 an caisteal 092.JPG

Patches of blue sky above southern Scotland:
2018-09-23 an caisteal 096.JPG

OK, so this is the bit that we chickened out of, let's see how we manage this time!
2018-09-23 an caisteal 102.JPG

Panther studying the rocks:
Image2018-09-23 an caisteal 103 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
Panoramic view of Beinn a'Chroin from the bealach connecting the two Munros:
2018-09-23 an caisteal 108.JPG

We crossed the bealach and followed the well worn path up to the bad step. I was a little apprehensive...
2018-09-23 an caisteal 112.JPG

We reached the bottom of the bad step and with one look I knew, we had made the right decision the previous time, not even attempting it in full winter conditions with loads of loose snow and ice-covered rocks. It didn't seem so drastically difficult now, but I allowed Kevin first so he would find the footholds and guide me up after him.
I always find it easier when scrambling after somebody else. It's a matter of confidence, I think. Knowing that someone has just done it and they managed without any problems, gives me a positive boost.
Hmmm, first let's have a good look...
20180923133456(1).jpg

The bottom part of the bad step requires a good stretch over a small overhang:
20180923133456(3).jpg

...but once past that, the rest of the scramble is much easier:
20180923133456(5).jpg

When Kevin waved me up, I stretched my leg as high as I could, almost splitting my trousers. It took me a couple of attempts to find the most comfortable position as the rock was wet, but once I hauled myself up the overhang, I was Ok with the rest of the scramble. As we emerged above the bad step, we met three other walkers going in the opposite direction, they were waiting for the traffic to pass, so they could scramble down :lol:
Suddenly, it started to rain, but it was just a shower. We continued the ascent, now easy, with one more rocky step but this one hardly a scramble. Basically, if you can manage the bad step, there would be nothing else troubling you further along this route.
As the rain passed, we emerged on the ridge itself. It is not as long as the Twistin' Hill, but still offers an interesting traverse:
2018-09-23 an caisteal 114.JPG

We reached the true summit, which is on the middle of the three tops, but the cairn here is small and there was nowhere to sit, so we decided to take a break on the northern top, where facilities for a longer break are much better :lol: Before we left the summit, we were gifted with a 5min rainbow:
2018-09-23 an caisteal 117.JPG

We traversed to the bigger cairn on the northern top and stopped here for a 10 min rest. This was once considered the summit; views are indeed better from here.
Back to An Caisteal:
2018-09-23 an caisteal 120.JPG

NW along Glen Falloch:
2018-09-23 an caisteal 121.JPG

View back along the ridge:
2018-09-23 an caisteal 125.JPG

Panoramic snap of the ridge of Cruach Ardrain, the next target. Ben More behind:
2018-09-23 an caisteal 145.JPG

Due north:
2018-09-23 an caisteal 131.JPG

With Lucy (her 92nd Munro) on my M no. 244. Possibly the last new Munro this year (only a handful left to do, most of them down south or on Skye):
2018-09-23 an caisteal 147.JPG

A second shower charging towards us!
2018-09-23 an caisteal 153.JPG

Having finished our tea, we dressed up in waterproofs, and just as well as it began to hail! Thankfully, the freezing shower didn't last long and we could enjoy the descent down the northern ridge of Beinn a'Chroin without getting soaked :D
Image2018-09-23 an caisteal 163 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
Back in the glen, we were reminded, that this was a wet country!
2018-09-23 an caisteal 177.JPG

The famous Punk Rock :lol: :lol: :lol:
2018-09-23 an caisteal 173.JPG

View back to Beinn a'Chroin from the soggy path:
2018-09-23 an caisteal 174.JPG

The walk back to the dry land took us more than we anticipated, as we had to fight our way across big puddles of water and countless wee streams. Glen Falloch is one of the soggiest, squelchiest glens I've ever walked, but the two mountains are worth the pain on the return route!
Summing up, this is a brilliant traverse but if you are not a confident ice scrambler, leave it for a dry summer day. I don't know why I assumed that all southern hills are BHL's. These two definitely are not. It's first class hillwalking, even in unsettled conditions.
Last edited by BlackPanther on Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: Come on, let's twist again!

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:13 pm

Starting from the layby on A82, we followed the beaten track into Glen Falloch... One party crossed the river and aimed for Cruach Ardrain which gave us an idea about an alternative route for this one. Kevin has done it (and Tulaichean) in the past, using the southern approach, but the route from Glen Falloch looks more convenient

I liked the northern approach to Cruach Ardrain. I started at the same layby for An Caisteal and went up the Glen Falloch track and crossed the Falloch on a small bridge. Then there are faint traces of a path up an open grassy slope to Meall an Fhreiceadain, where there is a stile into the forest above Crianlarich. From that point a clearer path goes along the Grey Height all the way to the top of Cruach Ardrain.

From discussions with friends afterwards, my route seemed to be both simpler and easier than going up through the forest (which is boggy, apparently) from Crianlarich.

Cruach Ardrain route - https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=81151

An Caisteal and Beinn a Chroin (my route was identical to yours, so I thought you might like to see a Spring contrast to your Winter and Autumn TRs of this route.) - https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=80675
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:12 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Cruach Ardrain route - https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=81151

Thanks :D The ridge to Grey Height looks great! That is exactly what we are thinking about, possibly retracing our steps over Ardrain rather than descending into the glen, depending on how wet it is. Honestly, I'd rather stay high and have dry feet (even if I have to add extra ascent) than drown in bog for miles on the way back :lol: :lol: That path in the glen was definitely less squelchy in April than now...
We probably won't manage this year as days are getting shorter and we have other things planned for weekends as well. But something to look forward to in the year 2019 :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:12 pm

Nice, looks more interesting than you might expect for this part of the Highlands.

Why do I have a slight suspicion that you did this route again just so that you could use that Report Subject Title? :lol:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:00 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Nice, looks more interesting than you might expect for this part of the Highlands.

Why do I have a slight suspicion that you did this route again just so that you could use that Report Subject Title? :lol:

I wanted to do it again anyway, but the "twisting" title was in my mind from the very start :lol:

Surprisingly rocky and entertaining for Southern Scotland (not that I have much experience of the southern hills).
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Postby dogplodder » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:31 pm

I've still to do Beinn a' Chroin and was thinking of a simple out and back by Glen Falloch, but from your description sounds like that wouldn't be too much fun? :eh:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby jmarkb » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:28 pm

dogplodder wrote:I've still to do Beinn a' Chroin and was thinking of a simple out and back by Glen Falloch, but from your description sounds like that wouldn't be too much fun? :eh:

You could do it from Inverlochlairig: the approach is on a good track, the ascent/descent are pathless but on reasonable terrain. It's arguably not it's most attractive side, though.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:29 pm

dogplodder wrote:I've still to do Beinn a' Chroin and was thinking of a simple out and back by Glen Falloch, but from your description sounds like that wouldn't be too much fun? :eh:

The path on the higher ridge is OK, no scrambling and not too steep, but I must admit the walk down in the glen is very squelchy. I didn't investigate the southern approach, but the track from Inverlochlarig is well visible from the summit of BaC :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland