walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Ban (Grey Corries)

Stob Ban (Grey Corries)

Postby tombombadilio » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:08 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Bàn (Grey Corries)

Date walked: 28/12/2017

Time taken: 6.3 hours

Distance: 20.8 km

Ascent: 1084m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

0826: Standard car faff before setting off, road to higher car park impassable so longer walk in requiredImage

Heavy snow that morningImage

Looking ominousImage

Pleasant goingImage

BridgeImage

Starting to brightenImage

Stunning glen but bitter windImage

Bothy, fire still glowing, short respite from wind to warm upImage

50/50 but getting excitedImage

Avoided this, lethally slippy - waded instead, shallow enough for boots and gaitersImage

Shedding layers on ascentImage

Getting very excited nowImage

It's all coming togetherImage

A couple ahead, kindly breaking the wayImage

Final stretch of the shoulder, Mamores to the southImage

MeImage

Some axe-work/cramponing necessary at this pointImage

Slow going now with the need to take photosImage

From whence I cameImage

1138: Summit of Stob Ban, bitter but views ridiculousImage

Summit cairn shortly after the couple left, shelter for tea and rollImage

Route back looking promisingImage

Alas, no bum-sliding, either too powdery or too icyImage

Perfect winter sceneImage

Me againImage

Losing the sun but also the bitter windImage

Perfect conditions now but impossible to have delayed, so few hours of daylightImage

AnotherImage

A Corbett? Cruach Innse? Definitely be backImage

AgainImage

Crazy blue skiesImage

Love vapour trailsImage

Great end to the dayImage

Sun setting rapidlyImage

Relief to be out of the glensImage

Not massive hills, but Locheil and Glengarry Forests looking amazing in evening sun, great settingImage

Aonachs looking stunningImage

Even stunningerImage

...Image

1438: Back at car with plenty of daylight leftImage

Summary:
Amazing winter's day. Started off in pitch darkness with full-on heavy blizzard, trying to follow LR track to main car park. Almost got there but car got stuck on slight incline, reversed a long way back until suitable space found just as dawn was breaking. In two minds about whether to abandon before car permanently stuck. Another Skoda pulled up full of a friendly group of girls with no such defeatist thoughts, so I was swayed. Full winter kit, but quickly ditched layers until hit by bitter wind further down the glen. Skoda girl group split off to do the Grey Corries traverse, a long walk for a short day. Another couple ahead of me for most of the day at a good distance. Several people encountered descending SB, likely stayed at bothy. Doubt they saw anything for their early efforts though. Day just improved as it went on. Ridiculous vistas opening up, intermittently but never hidden for long. On final pull up to SB, powder on ice necessitated axe and crampons (I think). Although wind bitter at summit, quite snug in my Keela kit and sufficient shelter at cairn for brew and snack. Descent and walk out very pleasant, wind minimal, blue skies, plenty of time so dawdled.Treated to cloud capped Aonachs with sun setting behind them on one side with expanse of Glen Spean on the other. Something about an unrushed walk out on the flat at the end of the day with weather always improving to raise the spirits. With light fading, drove to Glen Shiel Lodge for a couple of nights stay after stocking up at Fort William. Well chuffed with the day's work. Beinn Sgritheall next.
tombombadilio
Walker

Munros:258   Corbetts:19
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:8
Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland