walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bynack More - finally the sun

Bynack More - finally the sun

Postby Fingal2018 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:14 pm

Route description: Bynack More from Glenmore

Munros included on this walk: Bynack More

Date walked: 05/10/2018

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 835m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

They call me the wind-catcher. Even if the forecast says the wind is going to ease, as soon as the wind sees me approaching the foot of a hill it will show what it can do. So two birds killed with one stone: the forecast motivated me to finally pay a visit to Bynack More, and the strong wind pushed the clouds away opening up a really nice view from the summit. Not until I had completed the pleasant but looooong walk-in from the Allt Mor car park and admired the track crossing the initial plateau at around 800 m, starting to dream of a future trip along the Lairig an Laoigh, camping and going back via the Lairig Ghru.

Going up the final ridge, I was a bit puzzled since the obvious path kept east (left) of the ridge (convenient as the strong wind was southwesterly), while the OS map and the WH route seem to go west of the ridge.

Luck was on my side once more, the strong wind at Bynack's summit made for good visibility around the Barns, although I had to be quick taking pictures before sheltering behind the Little Barns as a stormy cloud with snow flurries raced past.

Little Barns of Bynack More by Thomas

Barns of Bynack More by Thomas

Bynack More really is a very fine viewpoint for the eastern Cairngorms, and gives you a good indication of just how vast they are. Terrific day out :D
Attachments

2018_10_05_Bynack_More.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Fingal2018
Mountaineer

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland