walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Easiest hill ever

Easiest hill ever

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:21 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Lamberton Hill

Date walked: 05/10/2018

Time taken: 0.3 hours

Distance: 1.1 km

Ascent: 21m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Not quite sure why this features as a Marilyn but rules are rules, so Lamberton Hill had to be visited.
It was a fairly long return journey to walk for 20 minutes, but there was method in my madness.
My wife was heading south down to Durham for a weekend of babysitting, which leaves me at home to doggy sit. I had a plan to get dropped off as she was passing Lamberton and then catch a bus home - sounds easy but buses are rare down the east coast and run every 2 hours or so, so I kicked that idea in touch.
My next plan was to accompany my wife for a coffee in Berwick upon Tweed, where she normally stops as it is halfway and that is what I did. I suggested Macdonalds as it is on the main road and the coffee at Broxden has been pretty good, so that was sorted.
The plan worked like a dream, the hardest part was finding somewhere to park near my planned start point.
There isn't much I can say about the walk apart from how easy it was. When you only have to ascend 21m you are hardly going to be out of breath.

Parking demonstration, not much room

Looking back, not the widest road

Lots of big piggies

Gate was open so no fumbling or climbing over, note the very slight incline

Not as far as it looks

Looking back

Wonder what sort of TV signal you get?

A very lonely trig

I was going take more photos but the small herd of cattle on the right were galloping towards me, so it was time to leave

The 2 old caravans are on the other 'summit'

Seen better days, cheap holiday with great views of the North Sea?

Heading down

Nothing more I can say. If anyone is heading north or south along the A1 and you want a simple blue balloon, take a very slight detour just north of Berwick upon Tweed.
Next is a trip to Strawberry Cottage next weekend, plan is to tackle the 8 Munros south of Loch Mullardoch - all new ground for George - bring it on.
Last edited by Fife Flyer on Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Easiest hill ever

Postby Chris Mac » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:31 pm

I think you might have to go back to this one... the summit is not the trig point it's further west, zoom in on the balloon on the WH page then check the hill-bagging summit photo and full screen map:

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/sub2000/lamberton-hill

http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/mountaindetails.php?qu=S&rf=1944

Maybe not the easiest hill ever... :)
Chris Mac

Munros:61   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Re: Easiest hill ever

Postby Sgurr » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:15 pm

Chris Mac wrote:I think you might have to go back to this one... the summit is not the trig point it's further west, zoom in on the balloon on the WH page then check the hill-bagging summit photo and full screen map:

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/sub2000/lamberton-hill

http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/mountaindetails.php?qu=S&rf=1944

Maybe not the easiest hill ever... :)

Yup. Afraid you went to the wrong one. We wandered across to a lump further north west holding a GPS in hand. There was a recent tiny cairn, but I suspect the cows don't approve and will have kicked it away. Below, neighbourhood watch
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland