walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Accidental Manoeuvres in the Dark

Accidental Manoeuvres in the Dark

Postby Jaxter » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:15 pm

Route description: Beinn Trilleachan, Glen Etive

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Sgulaird

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Trilleachan

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn Mheadhonach

Date walked: 06/10/2018

Time taken: 11.18 hours

Distance: 24.61 km

Ascent: 2127m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A route I’d been looking at for ages; Malcy suggested the removal of the Corbett Creach Bheinn and addition of two Marilyns, because he’s a sad Marilyn Bagger :lol: But I was happy with that – it looked like a good day out. Saturday’s forecast looked brilliant, so it was go time 8)

Loch Lomond was looking beautiful – I love this time of year 8)

Again, driving across Rannoch Moor was lovely – and the beautiful views took my mind off the caravans I got stuck behind :roll:

The obligatory Bookle photo

I couldn’t believe that Malcy was ahead of me so took my time driving down Glen Etive stopping to take photos, figuring he would come past me at some point :roll:

Ever get the feeling you’re being watched? :shock:

Beinn Trilleachean ahead

However, arriving at the tip of Loch Etive I discovered Malcy already there; he had obviously had a quicker trip than I :lol: :lol:

A quick stop at Loch Etive for a photo….

....before we headed off – a couple of metres down the track and we found a way onto the hill – it was obvious from the beaten down grass that folk had been this way before. However any sort of path instantly disappeared and we were off-piste already! Least the views were good :roll:

There were smatterings of a path which became better the higher up we climbed. It was fairly steep going and very sloppy underfoot but we had both resigned ourselves to wet feet – I was still wearing my old boots and they had let in water after 10 minutes :roll: :lol:

Loch Etive in the shadow of Starav

As we approached the ridge the views back up Glen Etive started to open out – I love this glen 8)

The climb up the ridge was virtually pathless – there were moments which could have been a path but they soon disappeared as we picked our way in between rocky outcrops. It was hot work – sheltered from the wind I was regretting my extra layer!

Towards the summit of Meall nan Gobhar the gradient eased and we were onto the famous (or infamous) slabs of Beinn Trilleachan, looking over towards Beinn Sgulaird

Final ascent to Meall nan Gobhar (hopefully :lol: )

There were a few clouds gathering over Glencoe but so far we were trusting in the forecast 8)

This could be a cool way up in winter?

We climbed out onto the top and could see Meall nan Gobhar and the summit of Beinn Trilleachan in the distance

Creach Bheinn and Beinn Sgulaird

We easily reached Meall nan Gobhar and the views were just awesome 8)

Creach Bheinn and Sgulaird again

Loch Etive and the Trilleachan climbing rocks, with Ben Cruachan hiding in the cloud

Looking back up Glen Etive

The descent from Meall nan Gobhar was steep and awkward on slightly damp slabs and we both took a couple of tumbles to the other’s amusement :lol:

As we began to climb onwards we looked back to what we had just come down :shock:

There was a path most of the way along which made for an easy walk, but it was definitely getting chilly – it was a cold wind. Winter is coming :wink:

The rocky summit of Beinn Trilleachan was reached with no further incidents and the views were awesome 8)

Looking back along the ridge and up Glen Etive

Doing my thing

It was time for some food (or more food in Malcy’s case :lol: ) and also some more layers! It was more sheltered here than on the walk over from Meall nan Gobhar but there was a definite chill in the air.

We continued onwards – dropping off Trilleachan we weaved our way between slippery slabs and down steep, wet grass. It wasn’t as bad as our descent from Binnein an Fhidhleir in Arrochar a few weeks ago but it was definitely getting there :lol:

Malcy looking ahead to his beloved Marilyn (what a loser :lol: ) I think this was just before we took a synchronised slide, complete with sound effects :lol:

Finally we were on relatively level long grass and bog, which was infinitely preferable to steep wet grass and bog :lol:

Lochan an Lair with Beinn Sgulaird behind

Lochan an Lair and Ben Cruachan

I spotted a beach and attempted to emulate Malcy’s pose from Ben Macdui’s beach

Malcy on Macdui

Looking back to Beinn Trilleachan

It was a short but steep climb onto the ridge of Beinn Mheadhonach but once we were there it was a lovely walk along an easy ridge 8)

More silhouttos

Looking back to the big guys of Etive

Beinn Sgulaird – looks big :shock:

We discovered that Beinn Mheadhonach, a Marilyn in the middle of nowhere, had fabulous views and were even throwing around ideas for a summit camp 8)

Sgulaird

Loch Etive and the Cruachan massif

Looking back to Beinn Trilleachan – an interesting angle from this side!

Beinn Mheadhonach summit

“Do that again, you look like an idiot” :lol:

It was another awkward and slow descent from Beinn Mheadhonach – it looked like we might not have time for Malcy’s second Marilyn of the day – An Grianan. He grumpily said we would see about that :lol:

We had spotted that the Hydro track had been extended down to the glen so decided it would be easier to use that to reach the bealach instead of heading directly up the side of Beinn Sgulaird. It wasn’t as good underfoot as it had appeared but still easier than the alternative. And we’d both had wet feet for hours anyway – how much worse could it get? Actually it could get worse, as I sunk my entire boot into a deep muddy pile of sludge, much to Malcy’s amusement :lol:

We could see showers here and there but by and large we missed them - eventually we got hit by a heavy one which meant the waterproofs went on.

Beinn Mheadhonach

It was a straightforward climb on the track and it was nice to have something a little more solid underfoot as we gained height – looking back to Beinn Mheadhonach and Beinn Trilleachan

Reaching the top of the pass we headed up on rough ground – scoping out our route we actually discovered something of a path, although it was possibly more of a sheep track

Looking back down to the track and Creach Bheinn

We were confident in the forecast – the fluff would clear

It was looking good – sunshine towards Loch Creran, Lismore and the Ardnamurchan peninsula

Creach Bheinn – an impressive hill for another day

Looking back to Loch Etive and Ben Cruachan

Still looking good….

We hit the ridge and had reached the fluff

But only just, and we were confident it would clear as we set off along the ridge – we even picked up a real path!

We came across a wee lochan as we picked our way over the lumps and bumps of the Sgulaird ridge

Another sign it was going to clear – a fog bow!

A wee glimpse of Fraochaidh

Finding a cairn, there was no way that we thought we’d reached the summit here…. :roll: Although as we were continuing along the ridge we didn’t really feel the need to bother checking :lol:

Beinn Sgulaird not-summit :lol:

The path continued (a warning bell) followed by a steep descent and another big ascent to….wait for it….the actual summit :lol:

Beinn Sgulaird actual summit :roll:

It was getting late – the ridge along with everything else had taken longer than we had expected and the sun would be setting in about 10 minutes! Not that we would be able to enjoy it as the clag had definitely thickened :lol: We had a quick bite before continuing along the ridge. The path was much fainter now and often non-existent!

It did look like it would clear at one point but then changed its mind. We were also really beginning to notice the light going :lol: We made our way along the ridge – it wasn’t easy underfoot; slippery rocks and plenty of hands on required. As the level of light dropped it got more and more awkward but at least we had dropped below the cloud level!

We carefully made our way down the rocky sections. Malcy had finally realised than his second Marilyn was not going to happen :lol: We made the decision to drop off the ridge into the glen to save a final ascent and descent over a steep rocky lump. Once off the ridge the ground was less rocky but more boggy and slippery. Given the approaching dark this was definitely the safer option!

We decided to try to manage as long as possible without a head torch in order to keep our night vision. It did eventually start to clear and the stars came out which gave us a little more light. Fortunately we could hear the burns before we fell into them, however eventually we came across a much larger burn. The head torch came out and after an initial panic as we saw a foaming white waterfall and lochan we found an easy crossing point. Disaster averted, for now.

Looking back to Beinn Sgulaird…. :lol: :lol:

We had another burn to cross; an easy crossing on a large slab, before crossing more crap ground :lol: Another map check – we were still where we thought we were! We decided that the easiest route would be to walk due East until we hit the forest which we could follow all the way back to the car. The ground underfoot was difficult, there were slabs and rocks and tussocks and bog to negotiate and we had to drop in and out of a corrie with another burn crossing. There were plenty of "arghh" and "whoaaa" noises from both of us as we negotiated worse and worse ground! We could see the outline of Beinn Starav ahead, and then suddenly, finally, it looked spiky….and we realised we’d reached the forest! WahoO! :D

The home straight was all that remained….what should have been the easy bit became even worse; I managed to sink into a bog and nearly lost a boot, and then managed to faceplant into a different bog (thank goodness for waterproof trousers :lol:) Not that Malcy was having much joy staying on his feet either :lol:

We bashed our way through bracken, bracken and more bracken. We could see lights in the caravans in the car park ahead but they didn’t seem to be getting any closer :shock: The bracken was a nightmare and we were probably getting quite close to a sense of humour failure at this point… :lol:

500 lumen head :lol:

And then at last we were on the track and back at the cars – it was definitely time for a high five! We had been on the hills for over 11 hours, the last 4 in darkness, and had somehow managed to enjoy ourselves :lol: We both agreed that there weren't many other people we could have done that with and still been on speaking terms with afterwards :lol:

Malcy produced chocolate donuts for dinner as we removed our wet boots and headed off in our separate directions for home and a very late night after a fabulous day out 8)

Trilleachan and pals.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Jaxter on Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Accidental Manoeuvres in the Dark

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:27 pm

Thats a grand route :clap: .

We were out on Bidean nam Biann with the "hordes" ;)

Bet you hardly saw a soul all day :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby weaselmaster » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:40 pm

That's a big route over tough terrain - not surprised you didn't manage the second Sub.
Good day out though :D
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Sgurr » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:13 pm

And we thought we had a long day when we did Beinn Mheadhonach by itself even though I am prob 2 (or 3) x older than you. Blundering around in bog with head torches has never been my idea of a fun day out, but the rest made it worth it.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:04 pm

Great stuff. I love the pics of Etive at the start...

But also a degree of Schadenfreude in reading about your progress through the bogs on your way back from Sgulaird - my experience of this area was similar: sunset on the top of Sgulaird, and then - a long long long dark boggy walk back....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:06 pm

Nutters.

Do carry on! :lol:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby rockhopper » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:24 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Nutters.

A sentiment with which I fully agree :wink: Enjoyed that - cheers :)
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby malky_c » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:19 pm

Before you know it, you’ll be the sad Marilyn bagger. I only go over them if they’re in the way :wink: :lol: .

Really enjoyed going back to Glen Etive again for the first time in a while. Even the bit in the dark was fun, although maybe I’ve forgotten about the worst of the bracken and tussocks :shock:
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Jaxter » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:06 pm

Collaciotach wrote:Thats a grand route :clap: .

We were out on Bidean nam Biann with the "hordes" ;)

Bet you hardly saw a soul all day :D

Aye we saw 2 people on Beinn Sgulaird coming back from the summit, nobody else except in the car park. Bliss 8)

weaselmaster wrote:That's a big route over tough terrain - not surprised you didn't manage the second Sub.
Good day out though :D

Even Marilyn-bagger-Malcy realised it wasn’t going to happen :lol: :lol:

Sgurr wrote:And we thought we had a long day when we did Beinn Mheadhonach by itself even though I am prob 2 (or 3) x older than you. Blundering around in bog with head torches has never been my idea of a fun day out, but the rest made it worth it.

It’s pretty isolated isn’t it! But that’s part of the attraction :lol: Nothing like a bit of accidental night nav practise :crazy: :lol:

Alteknacker wrote:Great stuff. I love the pics of Etive at the start...

But also a degree of Schadenfreude in reading about your progress through the bogs on your way back from Sgulaird - my experience of this area was similar: sunset on the top of Sgulaird, and then - a long long long dark boggy walk back....

There’s a lot of bog isn’t there :lol: :lol: but the views definitely make up for it 8)

rockhopper wrote:
Mal Grey wrote:Nutters.

A sentiment with which I fully agree :wink: Enjoyed that - cheers :)

Thanks both - glad there are people that approve :lol: :lol:

malky_c wrote:Before you know it, you’ll be the sad Marilyn bagger. I only go over them if they’re in the way :wink: :lol: .

Really enjoyed going back to Glen Etive again for the first time in a while. Even the bit in the dark was fun, although maybe I’ve forgotten about the worst of the bracken and tussocks :shock:

Never!!
You’re face when you found the bracken....brilliant :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby jupe1407 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:49 pm

You're mental!

Long may it continue :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Jaxter » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:50 am

jupe1407 wrote:You're mental!

Long may it continue :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I’ll take that as a compliment :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland