walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Kirkland & Green Hills

Kirkland & Green Hills

Postby McMole » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:58 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Green Hill, Kirkland Hill

Date walked: 06/10/2018

Time taken: 2.35 hours

Distance: 7.1 km

Ascent: 385m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The forecast for Saturday was for sunshine and a relatively calm though cool day, and so it proved. Too good not to travel south-westwards with Jaywizz to visit a Marilyn or two. With several hills in mind, when we reached the M74 we decided to neglect it and the more southerly summits, and instead headed for the most northerly on our list - Kirkland Hill. The route via Crawfordjohn to Sanquer was almost deserted and we hoped the last stretch would be as well. Just before reaching Sanquer we turned onto the single-track road to Fingland where, as Inca noted in his report, there are very limited opportunities for passing oncoming vehicles. Fortunately the only 'traffic' we met was a herd of cows with calves who unhurriedly moved aside for us.

Kirkland HIll - 4.1km 165m 1.6hr
Kirkland Hill route s.gif
We parked on the verge about 90m after the cattle grid by the start of the footpath to Kirkconnel.
P1020932s.JPG
The path passed through a swing gate after about 700m where we headed uphill beside the fence along a path through the tussocks.
P1020934s.JPG
At the crest of the ridge we met an ATV track that led us up to the trig point.
P1020936bs.jpg
P1020938s.JPG
Cairnsmore of Carsphairn and the Glen Afton wind farms
After a short stop for photos we continued to take Inca's advice and retraced our steps rather than cut any corners and enjoy the tussocks. On the way back to the main road we did meet two 4x4s coming towards us, but fortunately only after we were back on the lower section which does offer more passing opportunities.

Green Hill - 3km 220m 0.75hr
Green Hill route.gif
It was only half past twelve and with good weather continuing Jaywizz drove us back to Wanlockhead where she stopped by a shed on the main road for me to collect Green Hill. She had already been up Green Hill, was suffering from possible side effects of vaccinations, and was willing to delay her appointment with coffee and cake while I visited it. I jumped out and, unburdened by rucksac, took the direct route up and over Black Hill to Green Hill in about 25 minutes.
P1020941s.JPG
Looking down my ascent route at Wanlockhead with Jaywizz's car parked by the shed on the right
P1020942s.JPG
A metal fence post there doesn't quite mark the summit which is reported to be 12m to the NE. After a short stop for photos I jogged back to the car seeing my first walker of the day crossing the col before Black Hill as I descended. In marked contrast to the empty hills we found just a single unoccupied table for our most welcome coffees and enormous scones at a crowded Big Red Barn forty-five minutes later.
McMole
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:50
Fionas:40   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland