walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Morven calling

Morven calling

Postby superstar_tradesman » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:34 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Morven

Date walked: 15/09/2018

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 700m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Morven has been calling me for many years, as one of the most prominent hills in one of my favourite parts of Scotland. So a Sunday scheduled for a hill walk and a weather forecast that didn’t encourage travel further west meant it was finally time…

We decided on a route from the south for added length and interest, so parked at the cemetery lay-by on the A93 at Tullich. Cars fairly shoot past on this stretch of road, so we carefully crossed and followed a track up to a new house, and then onto a path handily signposted "Morven".

2018-09-16 12.48.09-1.jpg
Morven signpost. No debate about where to go here!

2018-09-16 12.57.23 HDR.jpg
The path through bracken and birch

This path, occasionally a track, follows a lovely route gently up through birch and pine forest, past a wee lochan, and then into a very straight glen directly towards Morven. It's fast going, and we were soon over the watershed to where the views are dominated by the south slopes of Morven.

2018-09-16 13.47.10.jpg
Morven from the moor

The path descends slightly, then reascends to a wide track heading E-W. We went W for a couple of hundred metres, then decided to strike north, across grassy slopes dotted with little juniper bushes. These slopes steepen, but the going is good, and soon we found ourselves on the summit plateau with its colony of hares, and it wasn't long before we reached the giant cairn at the top.

2018-09-16 14.36.58 HDR.jpg
Hartley hare

The views are as marvellous as the hill's location would indicate, with farmland and forest to the east, and mountains and moor in all other directions. It would be a great place to dwell, but on this occasion, the strong cold wind meant hanging around wasn't going to be pleasant.

2018-09-16 14.40.14.jpg
Summit view east to Aberdeenshire farmland

2018-09-16 14.40.18.jpg
South to a shower and Mount Keen beyond

2018-09-16 15.32.28.jpg
The glen back down to Tullich, with Mount Keen in the distance

So we bolted off downhill, retracing our steps all the way back to the car, and made it just in time to The Bothy in Ballater for refuelling. Another grand Deeside day out, done!
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

superstar_tradesman
Mountain Walker

Munros:170   Corbetts:31
Fionas:16   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:82   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Re: Morven calling

Postby AHillTooFar » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:05 pm

It is not a bad area to go for a walk. Interesting route you took, I went from the west near Glen Fenzie, taking in Mona gowan as well. Descended the same direction as you except veered westward to join the path that lies at the bottom.

I always like photos showing rain somewhere in the distance, I am never sure to feel glad it is not me, or sorry for unfortunate people who are in its way.
AHillTooFar
Mountaineer

Munros:29   Corbetts:14
Fionas:4   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:1   

Postby superstar_tradesman » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:46 pm

AHillTooFar wrote:I always like photos showing rain somewhere in the distance, I am never sure to feel glad it is not me, or sorry for unfortunate people who are in its way.

Ha, yes, I feel similar—usually I'm thinking "phew, I'm glad we missed that shower!" We dodged a few on this hill, that's for sure!
superstar_tradesman
Mountain Walker

Postby kevsbald » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:17 am

Did ye nae sign the book?
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby superstar_tradesman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:15 pm

kevsbald wrote:Did ye nae sign the book?

I didn't realise there was a book! Probably just as well, I was so cold I could hardly remember my name :)

Is a summit book an Aiberdeenshire thing? I'm sure we saw one at the top of Pressendye a couple of years back…
superstar_tradesman
Mountain Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland