walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Mhor - a beautifully isolated summit

Creag Mhor - a beautifully isolated summit

Postby kevsbald » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:35 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Creag Mhòr

Date walked: 03/10/2018

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 24.5 km

Ascent: 900m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After I had stayed at mum's in Aberdeenshire, I took a leisurely drive across towards Rothiemurchas. The weather was poor and I considered just relaxing for the day by browsing the shops of Aviemore and supporting the local economy. However, after I had popped into the Hilton for a pee stop, I noticed things were clearing. I relayed the message to home that I would take a run out towards Creag Mhor and see how things went. I packed everything into my 10-litre rucksack as Creag Mhor is said to be a very remote hill. It had been a couple of years but I had run this way with Darren as part of a 50 km circuit going round the Cairngorms, down the Lairg an Laoigh and back up the Lairig Ghru. I remembered it being very runnable so started my jog and relished the views en route. From An Lochain Uaine to Bynack Mor, I fair enjoyed the romp up on the ridge to the Munro before my objective came into view. I had forgotten how much the track dropped down into the Lairig an Laoigh but was glad for a bit of shelter as the wind had picked up. I eventually got to a point where I donned my waterproofs and started the climb up the heather slopes, after having some food and water. I finally reached the summit tor about 20 minutes later and took shelter behind it. What a wonderfully isolated place it was. The expanse of view from here was immense. The rain battered around me but I was quite sheltered from it although I knew I still had a reverse 12-km route back to the car. On a good day, it would be lovely to just while away time and appreciate the solitude. Nothing for it but to head out and down. Things cleared a little once I re-ascended back on to the ridge and then the wonderful track all the way back to the car. I ran this in 3 hours 30 minutes, which wasn't bad for a 24.6 km trip and with 900m of ascent. A fantastic part of the Cairngorms and this was perfect training for the Dramathon on the 20th October. Slainte!
IMG_7555_wh.jpg
An Lochain Uaine
IMG_7557_wh.jpg
Bridge and beyond
wh3.jpg
Looking back to Meall a Bhuachaille
IMG_7564_wh4.jpg
From the summit tor to vast expanse of Water of Caiplich
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland