walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

More sun, a bucket list summit camp and a compleation

More sun, a bucket list summit camp and a compleation

Postby Jaxter » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:55 pm

Route description: Stob Dubh, Glen Etive

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Corbetts included on this walk: Stob Dubh

Date walked: 13/07/2018

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 22.14 km

Ascent: 2108m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Friday 13th July 2018 – Stob Dubh
12.37km
1012m ascent
4 hours 10 mins

I’d been home for a whole 3 days and already crawling up the walls. It was time to head north again, this time for the WH Skye meet. Except that I had some slightly different plans in order to get the best of the weather!

It wasn’t an early start which was unwise because it meant I got stuck behind all the holiday traffic on the roads :roll: But eventually I was seeing some familiar sights….

I found a parking spot in Glen Etive and set off – it was very hot and I was heading up this :shock:

I crossed the river and followed the track up the glen before cutting off and heading up the hillside above the crags. The views back the way to Beinn Mhic Chasgaig and into Coire Ghiubhasan were pretty awesome

Further down the glen to Coire Laoghan

It was rough underfoot and very hot but as I gained height I could see all the way back up Glen Etive

Above the crags and nearly on the ridge I could see ahead what I thought was the summit. Wahey 8)

The impressive backside of Bidean

Now on the ridge it was a lot easier underfoot and looking backwards was becoming even more impressive 8)

I came across this rocky spine heading up the ridge – I love Glen Etive, the rock is cool 8)

Bidean and friends

Some view eh 8)

I was trying to work out all the summits here, and the only one I was unsure of was the one on the left….finally realised that it was because it was my hill :lol: :roll:

Beinn Fhionnlaidh and Sgorr na h-Ulaidh

My way ahead….that’s the other thing about Glen Etive – everything is hard :lol:

From the 845 top of Beinn Ceitlin I could see the final climb – it looked steep :roll:

I plodded onwards, sweating profusely, and made it up to the summit of Stob Dubh. The views were pretty awesome; both Bookles

Loch Etive with Ben Starav and Beinn Trilleachan

Fhionnlaidh and Sgorr na h-Ulaidh

Bidean

I enjoyed the views for a while before realising I had a long way back….i’d been toying with ideas of dropping down Coire Dionachd but it looked like I could have a dodgy river crossing and a walk along the road so just decided to head back the same way 8)

Amazing Glen Etive

It was a gorgeous afternoon and I was enjoying the views as I meandered my way back along the ridge

The Bookles

Bidean and pals

As I dropped down I was grateful for the shade but the heat was getting more oppressive

As I crossed the Allt a’ Chaorainn I was very tempted to jump in the rock pools 8)

And looking back down the glen it was turning into an incredible evening

Back at the car I shuffled my stuff and had a wee thought about my camp spot for the night…. 8)

Stob Dubh.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Beinn a’ Chrulaiste Camp
3.57km
333m ascent
1 hour 25 mins

I drove up to Altnafeadh, threw my stuff into a bag and set off….a familiar sight was looking awesome

The wee Bookle

I followed the familiar path up Beinn a’ Chrulaiste, pausing to enjoy the views down Glen Coe

I climbed high enough to get a good camp spot, pitched the tent and settled down to make dinner and enjoy the sunset 8)

The Mamores

Meall a’ Bhuiridh

Even Ben Nevis cleared

It wasn’t the greatest night’s sleep as it was a bit windy but it didn’t rain and when I woke up in the morning it was still clear 8)

Chrulaiste camp.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Saturday 14th July – Stob Coire Raineach
6.2km
763m ascent
3 hours 30 mins

Down at the car I did a quick reshuffle before heading down to the Wee Bookle carpark to meet up with everyone for Stevie’s Compleation 8)

Lots of folk headed up the path – it was already a nicer day than forecast, an easy walk and really nice to catch up with old friends and make new ones.

Reaching the ridge we could see back to the Aonach Eagach which was looking impressive

Heading up the final climb…

Mark leading the way

Looking back along the ridge

The main man approaching the summit

A group photo (stolen from Mike!)

The Blackwater reservoir in the distance

The big Bookle

Looking after Mike’s flag 8)

We sought shelter and out came a lot of Champagne and food. Eventually it was time to head down and I had to drive to Skye :thumbup: 8)

stevies compleation.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Next part - Island Extravaganza
Last edited by Jaxter on Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:205   Corbetts:125
Grahams:61   Donalds:46
Sub 2000:81   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:62   Islands:25

Re: More sun, a bucket list summit camp and a compleation

Postby past my sell by date » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:35 pm

Stob Dubh is surely one of the "top" corbetts - and with great views. Shame you missed out on the lovely liitle peak of An Grianan - but I guess you were in a hurry
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:84
Grahams:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: More sun, a bucket list summit camp and a compleation

Postby Jaxter » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:13 pm

past my sell by date wrote:Stob Dubh is surely one of the "top" corbetts - and with great views. Shame you missed out on the lovely liitle peak of An Grianan - but I guess you were in a hurry

It's a belter isn't it! Missing out tops is just an excuse to go back 8) :wink:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:205   Corbetts:125
Grahams:61   Donalds:46
Sub 2000:81   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:62   Islands:25

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland