walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Varied and Calming

Varied and Calming

Postby Rocketrocket » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:38 am

Route description: Kelvin Walkway: Glasgow to Milngavie

Date walked: 10/10/2018

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 17.26 km

Ascent: 85m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Just getting into this walking thing now, set myself a target to do this nice and flat, but sometimes challenging trail without stopping, just to build up some endurance! Luckily I was free on what has to be the last day of summer :wink:

I joined the walk from Kelvingrove Park as a I live nearby and really got to appreciate how the riverside develops through the city through to the Maryland Lochs. A stunning part of the city not to be missed.

Then onwards out of the city, although the path does remain tarmac until you get to Glasgow Science Park. Easy to get a little lost round here as you move away from the Kelvin River for a bit, but soon get back on track, but now with single lane dirt path. From hereon in the scenery gets better and better, with wonderful views of the mountains up ahead, rolling hills of the lowlands and all the nature you could possibly expect beside a river bank.

The path isn't easy to lose, however there are a number of felled trees (get out your ninja poses) and some totally ruined styles that do require care. Also a note that the wooden staircases and styles after crossing a couple of the significant roads on this part of the track are lethally slippy when wet, so take care.

Eventually you leave the kelvin and follow the smaller river to the charming town on Milngavie, I had a pint or two in Garvie & Co and then jumped on the train back to Glasgow. And yes, I didn't stop once.
Rocketrocket
Mountaineer

Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland