walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Narnain

Beinn Narnain

Postby lomondwalkers » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:03 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 23/11/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 926m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Attempted Narnain a few weeks ago just after the first snows had arrived, but as it was my first walk on snow/ice, I turned back on the bealach and went up the back of the more familiar Cobbler, which wasn't too bad as there were plenty of footprints to follow. As there had been slightly higher temperatures and rain since, I decided to go for it again. Lovely crisp and clear November morning, so views would hopefully be fantastic!. Headed up The Cobbler track, spotting someone rather braver than myself, who had threaded the needle (you can just about see them in the pic)
SDC14276.JPG

Headed round the side of The Cobbler then right to follow the now visible path up Beinn Narnain, so far so good
SDC14277.JPG

and great views of the crags of Beinn Ime
SDC14282.JPG
As height was gained, it was good to see The Cobbler from a different angle, with a clear view of "the eye"
SDC14289.JPG
and great views of The Crianlarich Hills
SDC14291.JPG

Started to hit pretty compact snow/ice, so wasn't sure if this was going to be another failed attempt, but just about managed to follow the footprints of those who'd gone before me
SDC14294.JPG
SDC14297.JPG

Finally made it to the Trig Point, to find I had some company, but he didn't have much to say....
SDC14307.JPG

The views from the summit were truly stunning, could see most of the hills of the Central Highlands, and all the way West to the Arran Hills
SDC14303.JPG

Took a wander around the summit, lots of right good looking scrambly bits for when I'm a bit more experienced, and got my partner in crime with me (she's out of action with a dodgy knee and awaiting the attention of the physio!).

A quick vid of the views all round (very quick when zoomed for second look around as I had to take my gloves off to work the camera! FFFFFFFFreezing!!!), then carefully back down the ascent route to the boulders for a wee spot of lunch. All in all a great wee day out, and a bit more experience on the white stuff, tho definitely think it's time for a winter skills course before it gets any worse.[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzAoq640R24[/youtube]
Last edited by lomondwalkers on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Beinn Narnain

Postby rockhopper » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:45 am

well done on making it at the second attempt - you had a great day weatherwise for it with some nice views 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby bootsandpaddles » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:45 am

Nice snowman!!!
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby davetherave » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:13 am

Nice video and pics.was nice that you got some company on the summit
:D
Wish your partner well with the physio.
Just loved the snowman, I got one of them on a Summlt last year. :lol:
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby Jockstar » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:31 pm

Great to see the summit. We did the same walk a few weekends ago and couldn't see a thing ! :( Great photos of the surrounding area.....well done on your second attempt but watch whose footprints you are following as you might fall of the hill..lol :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Merry-walker » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:48 pm

Brilliant :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby lomondwalkers » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:20 am

Thanks folks. Always good to find a bit of company on a summit when you're out solo :lol:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland