walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Big day out - fit legs required - or a bike

Big day out - fit legs required - or a bike

Postby Coop » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:35 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Bhùird, Ben Avon

Date walked: 15/10/2018

Time taken: 11.5 hours

Distance: 39 km

Ascent: 1380m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Or just plod on enjoying it

Parked up at half 7 paid my £2.50 for the day - take note Argyll and Bute council!!!

Set off at 8

Monster walk monster hills. Awesome day..
Good walk in on a good track them a good path all the way.
On up to the old ruined lodge and thought about looking for the secret howf- on the way back maybe.
The sneck finally came into view and you could be mistaken for thinking you're on the set of a western.
Caught up with a lad at this point and we walked and talked together for the rest of the day
Then you get a view of the big tors as you get onto the plateau - left from the ice age or sprouted from the mountain - who knows!!!
A wee climb to get on top, savour the views have lunch take pics.
So bill says to me- "fancy doing Beinn a' bhuird as well"
I hadn't planned to do it today. It was in my mind to come in from the other side on a longer day and do Beinn A'bhuird.
So
Why not says me. And off we go pausing a few times to look back.
Down past the sneck and up to the cairn on the north top - kinda outta place amongst all these tors!!
Wee visit to the south top - keeping in mind daylight hours.
I'd realised we'd be walking in darkness for a bit but that we'd be across the wee stream and on the good track again by then- for wee stream insert raging river ( maybe a slight exaggeration)
Half 6 came, darkness crept in, the stars came out, and the head torch came out as about 7o clock it was total darkness. Back at half 7
7 other people I saw on the mountain and everyone had used a bike and dumped it sonewhere - Most just before the ruined lodge by s wee clearing.

Pair of great hills and don't underestimate them- it's a big day - although walking and talking and taking pics does add a bit of time on :D

Cheers go to my walking partner bill fae down ayrshire way - keep up with good work with the MRT in Dumfrieshire. Sterling job you all do

Secret howf another day maybe

Tomorrow - Carn Bhac- but on its own - defo

Cheers folks.

Ascent - I'll work out later
Distance- guesstimate till I work it out
Last edited by Coop on Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Re: Big day out - fit legs required - or a bike

Postby rockhopper » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:25 am

Big day - approached these hills from the NW on foot but suspect if I was going from the east or south I'd probably also use a bike - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland