walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Three A702 Marilyns in a day part 1 - Mendick Hill

Three A702 Marilyns in a day part 1 - Mendick Hill

Postby Chris Mac » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:47 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Mendick Hill

Date walked: 14/10/2018

Time taken: 1.38 hours

Distance: 5.7 km

Ascent: 259m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Mendick-Hill.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

For a while now I had routes saved for these three hills and initially planned to keep them for shorter winter days but with a Sunday forecast looking the best to the south east I fancied an easier day out solo instead of a bigger hill or walk.

I decided the lazy Sunday option of some hills closer to me to avoid any rest and be thankful closure congestion was the sensible thing to do, then I didn't have to have an early start and could enjoy breakfast at home before heading off. I took the direct route through Carluke and Carnwath, arriving on the A702 at Black Mount and had decided on the drive down that I'd tackle the furthest away hill first then follow the sun west towards home.

Having already done my homework I headed straight for the lay-by next to Mendick Hill. It had surprised me driving towards it as it looked very shapely from the west, much as Black Mount did from the east behind me. From the south the summit is on the right hand side of the hill when seen from the road:
ImageDSC_7920 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Having surprisingly found it difficult to get motivated to leave the house earlier and while viewing the lay of the land while putting on my boots, I decided I still wasn't in first gear yet and would tackle the hill in a loop by going along the road and up via the Ingraston Farm to give me a warm up. :D
ImageDSC_7924 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

At Ingraston Farm entrance I turn right while Black Mount, my next target after this, provides food for thought on how to approach it...
ImageDSC_7927 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Heading up to the farm, note the quarry in the hill side which i'll walk up the left hand side of, Mendick Hill summit far right. You may as well make the most of smaller hills and give them a good loop instead of an easy out and back. :)
ImageDSC_7928 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Mendick Hill, at least the descent and return to the car will be short doing it this way:
ImageDSC_7929 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Behind me Broughton Heights have their head in the clouds, as did Tinto and Culter Fell during the drive down but it was gradualy improving:
ImageDSC_7931 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I reach Ingraston and follow the track onto Ingraston Hill:
ImageDSC_7934 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

As I was about to start the ascent my attention was suddenly drawn to 3 gigantic beasts, white versions of the demon dog in Ghostbusters, hired bodybuilding goons for sheep and a whole new level of ugly... :shock: :lol:
ImageDSC_7935 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The thought crossed my mind of Resident Evil style experiments on sheep round these parts.... my ascent up the hillside was rapid... :lol: ...chuckling the whole way. Checking later would reveal them to be some Cotentin Sheep, resulting in a fascinating sheep fact tangent learning all about our stratified system of UK sheep farming, very interesting and educational for hill walkers to know.

I passed the quarry and went uphill:
ImageDSC_7937 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Still enjoying the view of Black Mount, the local farmer was flying around in the field on his quad as I gained height:
ImageDSC_7944 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Atop Ingraston Hill looking to Black Mount:
ImageDSC_7950 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

To the north east I now had Mendick Hill summit to head towards:
ImageDSC_7953 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Shapely:
ImageDSC_7955 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I started bounding my way along before realising a large bog was sneakily trying to surround me, exit stage left to the fence and faint tracks were easy to follow:
ImageDSC_7957 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

To the south west Broomy Law, target 3 for the day, can now be seen next to Black Mount:
ImageDSC_7958 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Saving the easiest until last:
ImageDSC_7959 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Black Mount's best side:
ImageDSC_7960 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Lanarkshire inbetween the flanks of Black Mount on the left and Dunsyre Hill on the right. The little mound mid right is the tiny Tump Broomie Law, not to be confused with the Marilyn Broomy Law along the road! :D
ImageDSC_7964 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The far west end of the Pentlands:
ImageDSC_7966 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Continuing on I soon reached a gate which was easily hurdled:
ImageDSC_7971 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Not long to go now:
ImageDSC_7975 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Nice summit crags... although the OS map reveals they are more likely the result of quarrying which we've already seen a fair bit of further down. Resident sheep abound, there are 33 million of them in the UK and just under 7 million in Scotland don't you know... :wink: :D
ImageDSC_7977 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

A dyke and fence are crossed then it's uphill I go:
ImageDSC_7980 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I lost the faint track quite quickly here:
ImageDSC_7981 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking back at the route taken, the long way on a wee hill! :lol:
ImageDSC_7982 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Trig point peeking out:
ImageDSC_7983 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Nice summit:
ImageDSC_7986 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

A large herd of sheep see me coming and scarper as others just stand and gawk, watching me make the steep final ascent:
ImageDSC_7989 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Almost one down, those two to go:
ImageDSC_7990 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Made it:
ImageDSC_7994 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Forgetting about this from Al's report on the hill, my lazy Sunday head is happy to see a nice wooden bench to sit on:
ImageDSC_7995 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The Pentlands are in view north east so I sit down and enjoy a rest:
ImageDSC_7996 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

East Cairn Hill, last of the main Pentlands for me to do, still plenty of smaller hills to explore too though:
ImageDSC_7998 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The Mount:
ImageDSC_7999 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

West Kip, East Kip, Scald Law and Carnethy Hill:
ImageDSC_8000 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I turn around to face south west as a couple of walkers approach, Black Mount beyond the trig pillar:
ImageDSC_8009 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking east, there's a path up this side of Mendick Hill that isn't on the map:
ImageDSC_8014 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

South east:
ImageDSC_8016 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Broughton Heights still in cloud to the south:
ImageDSC_8018 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

South west, Culter Fell in clouds with little Broomy Law clear:
ImageDSC_8021 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The two walkers summit and we get chatting:
ImageDSC_8022 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

They join me on the bench and we enjoy a right good blether about how they're up visiting for a week from Preston and enjoy escaping their busy local Lake District hills to walk ours. They mention being on Arran recently and I laugh, cue more chat about my home and the hills there, hills elsewhere, hill we're on!

The sun was starting to come out now and I could have stayed chatting but I still had two hills to climb and they were sauntering back to West Linton with this hill their warm up walk for the day. I never caught their names but I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday and get up some great hills while you're here. :)

Brighter to the west now:
ImageDSC_8026 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I head down the grassy path the way the Preston couple had ascended:
ImageDSC_8029 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The local sheep have created plenty of paths on the hillside and I follow a few down:
ImageDSC_8031 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Steep bit:
ImageDSC_8033 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Turning into a nice day now as I look at my route, happy I chose to do it this way, next two targets in the distance:
ImageDSC_8034 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Black Mount:
ImageDSC_8035 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Descent route:
ImageDSC_8037 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Scald Law disappearing from view:
ImageDSC_8038 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Through some heather and another steeper bit...
ImageDSC_8039 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

...back to level ground:
ImageDSC_8040 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Mendick Hill, a good start to the wee hill bagging adventure:
ImageDSC_8043 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I cross the field and reach the Roman Road, following it to the right:
ImageDSC_8044 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Just one more gate to climb and field to traverse...
ImageDSC_8046 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_8048 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Black Mount decides to show off in the sunlight in preparation for my imminent arrival...
ImageDSC_8049 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Back at the road it's then just a quick walk along the verge back to the car, then on to Black Mount for part 2...
ImageDSC_8053 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I keep my boots and gaiters on and munch a biscuit before turning and driving along to the next lay-by just past the Bank and Mill Burn. Mendick Hill was a great start to the day of three wee hills, recommended for a quick win, good views and a bench. :)
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Re: Three A702 Marilyns in a day part 1 - Mendick Hill

Postby rockhopper » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:15 am

Quite a few options and some interesting hills down here - nearly went here at the end of last year but switched to Broughton Heights instead - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Three A702 Marilyns in a day part 1 - Mendick Hill

Postby Chris Mac » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:29 am

Thanks RH, yeah the more I visit down here the more I like it, lots of ancient history with plenty of routes and smaller hills to explore. Broughton Heights was good too and it's a bonus that these hills are so close for us both, might as well make the most of them!
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland