walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Three A702 Marilyns in a day part 3 - Broomy Law

Three A702 Marilyns in a day part 3 - Broomy Law

Postby Chris Mac » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:52 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Broomy Law

Date walked: 14/10/2018

Time taken: 0.56 hours

Distance: 3 km

Ascent: 162m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Broomy-Law.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Broomy Law, last on my list of three wee hills in a day along the A702. Having just walked up Black Mount after starting on Mendick Hill further east, I left the smallest and easiest of the three until last, with a good track to enjoy the whole way to the summit.

Mendick Hill and Black Mount had given my boots a right going over so I had to take them off as I drove along towards Broomy Law. Unsure where to park despite prior planning, I decided to settle on a little bit up the Roman Road towards Brownsbank, parking to the side at the junction where the 269 mark on the OS map is. I wasn't in the way and left clear room on all sides for any farm machinery to pass, barring a combine harvester perhaps... :wink:

Unfortunately it was also muddy there so putting my wet boots back on was a bit tricky as was changing into my spare pair of socks to keep my feet dry. There was no need for gaiters now so they were jettisoned and as the sun was out I kept my jacket off, popped the rucksack on and took a snap of my final target:
ImageDSC_8219 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

From where I parked I walked to Brownsbank along the track and could see where it continued up the hillside towards the two plantations of trees:
ImageDSC_8227 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

After the big barn I turned left, went through a gate and started uphill:
ImageDSC_8228 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

A buzzing in the woods and small digger parked across the track at the first bunch of trees indicated the farmer at work as I passed, now up towards the next set of trees:
ImageDSC_8230 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

More sheep scarpering:
ImageDSC_8231 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Culter Fell and Gathersnow Hill to the south with Goseland Hill, one of the ramining local Marilyns here for me, in the foreground:
ImageDSC_8232 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Tinto south west:
ImageDSC_8236 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

A good track to the top... should have kept this one for Y to join me on, right up her street! :D
ImageDSC_8238 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I approach the final gate and summit guarding sheep...
ImageDSC_8246 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

One of the sheep decided to greet me by doing it's business just as I took a photo, not one to share or upload you'll be pleased to hear! :lol:
ImageDSC_8251 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Broomy Law summit... :(
ImageDSC_8256 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Black Mount from Broomy Law, it was the other way around not long ago:
ImageDSC_8257 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Sheep scattering:
ImageDSC_8263 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I head to find the summit point:
ImageDSC_8265 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Long shadows now as it approaches half 4, looking north east:
ImageDSC_8266 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

There was very little wind, a blue sky and sunshine and it was the perfect evening to be up a hill. Looking east towards the Moorfoot Hills:
ImageDSC_8267 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Peebles hills further east:
ImageDSC_8268 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Broughton Heights south east:
ImageDSC_8269 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Pyked Stane Hill summit:
ImageDSC_8276 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Trahenna Hill:
ImageDSC_8277 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Pykestone Hill, Dollar Law and Broad Law's other tops:
ImageDSC_8279 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Broad Law:
ImageDSC_8282 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

White Coomb's various tops and distant Hart Fell:
ImageDSC_8283 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Over to Chapelgill Hill & Culter Fell:
ImageDSC_8285 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

North east to Black Mount, Mendick Hill and the Pentlands:
ImageDSC_8286 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_8287 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_8291 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_8292 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Broomy Law may be a small hill but the view south to the bigger hills is superb, especially on an evening like this:
ImageDSC_8293 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_8295 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The view west to Tinto is pretty decent too... 8)
ImageDSC_8300 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I look around and there is nothing to sit on at all... so I find a gravely patch of grass and sit on my folded fleece to enjoy some crisps and the setting sun.

Dungavel Hill to the left behind Tinto, a good wee hill but too close to it's larger neighbour which hogs most of the view from it:
ImageDSC_8302 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

As I sat and soaked it all in, enjoying the peace and quiet, I noticed a sparkle starting next to me and extending towards Tinto... cobwebs in the grass! It looked great, I took a few quick shots which are posted below, hopefuly clicking to expand then flicking between the two using the left and right arrow on the keyboard will replicate the effect:
ImageDSC_8333 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_8334 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It was time to head back down, the crisps had reminded me it would be time for dinner following the drive home and I was pretty hungry now:
ImageDSC_8349 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The going was swift, it would only take about 15 minutes to get back downhill, glad I kept the easy one until the end! :D
ImageDSC_8350 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Through the gate...
ImageDSC_8354 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Past the trees:
ImageDSC_8357 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Enjoy the view of Culter Fell as you go:
ImageDSC_8362 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I think that's Lamington Hill:
ImageDSC_8365 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Past the second lot of trees:
ImageDSC_8366 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

There was no digger so I cut across the field a little on the way down:
ImageDSC_8367 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

As I approached the gate into Brownsbank the farmer's wife was washing the car but didn't even bat an eyelid as I passed turning right to head back to the car, must be used to people ascending their wee hill! :lol:
ImageDSC_8371 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Back at the car and the shadows were extending more towards Broomy Law than when I started but it had only taken 56 minutes including a 10 minute break, a nice relaxing wind-down to end the day after the two bigger hills along the road prior to this:
ImageDSC_8373 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

A large murder of crows flew by as a nice send off:
ImageDSC_8374 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

So that was my mini Marilyn adventure over, three hills in a day along the A702 using the car to move to each one for convenience since there isn't an easy route between them or good pavements on the roads. Broomy Law was a nice way to end it, an easy stroll and a good viewpoint, marred by the masts of course.

I drove back via the M74 for a fast trip home to enjoy a massive fish supper and relaxing evening. So trading one big hill for three, what does that get you with Mendick Hill, Black Mount and Broomy Law? 13.09km walked, just under 5 hours in total including connection driving between hills, 694m of ascent, not too shabby and with enough variety between the three to keep you interested. Recommended if you want an easy day out.
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Re: Three A702 Marilyns in a day part 3 - Broomy Law

Postby rockhopper » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:18 am

I see you've been busy down here :thumbup: - very productive visit but best to make use of the good weather when it's here - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Three A702 Marilyns in a day part 3 - Broomy Law

Postby Chris Mac » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:32 am

Cheers, yeah quite productive but I would have added in Goseland Hill if I had more time, or tried to find a route to combine all 4 in one big walk but that proved tricky, hence the car and three separate walk reports. Any use of the car is the end of one walk and start of another in my book. :D
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland