walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

neist point walk

neist point walk

Postby lisa34 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:14 pm

Route description: Neist Point

Date walked: 03/04/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Have done this walk a few times down to the lighthouse it took about 45 mins in all on a beautiful clear afternoon good path nearly all the way down gets a bit boggy when you get near the lighthouse but when you go past it, it becomes rocky, you can also see out to the isle of harris i think it is, it is also an amazing place to watch the wildlife and the fantastic sunsets :)
lisa34

Re: neist point walk

Postby kevsbald » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:34 pm

Is this on Skye, Lisa?
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby lisa34 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:15 pm

hi there

yes it is, it is on the north west point of skye the area that it is on is very beautiful piece of coastline
lisa34

Postby mountain coward » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:35 am

The main thing you're looking at across the water from there is my favourite island (and mountains of) South Uist. You can also see North Uist. I went to Neist Point last year on a day off from Munroing with my friend Richard and we thought it was very beautiful... in fact I took loads of pics if anyone wants to see any?

Also called in a very nice cafe just before the Point which was selling Bilberry Pie... I love bilberry pie, it's my fave so I got some on the way out and then, a couple of hours later on the way back :) What I didn't know as I paid the lady (and all her assistants stood by looking in amazement) I soon found out as I got in the car and drove off. I glanced in my mirror and happened to notice that my whole mouth had gone completely black - not just my lips (which is usual for bilberries) but my teeth were completely black - not just on the surface but it had coloured them right through! I screamed at the apparition in the mirror and nearly crashed the car then we had a good laugh at what those ladies must have said after I left! Needless to say, I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening with my mouth firmly shut! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:59 am

Apologies for the blurred photo, I was being buffeted by the wind at the time.(I mean atmospheric air movement, not my own personal wind). You'll note these waterfalls on the cliffs at Neist Point are not falling down, they're being blown up into the air by the Atlantic gale. A windswept and interesting place ~ just like me!
Neist Point Skye Dec 08.JPG
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby mountain coward » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:15 am

Here's a few more photies...
South Uist from Neist Point(& Hecla).jpg
Neist Point from around the bay.jpg
Neist Point cliffs fm lighthouse.jpg
Neist Point big cliff.jpg
Neist Point Huge Cliff(complete).jpg
mountain coward

Postby 37lumleyst » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:36 am

I walked out here in 2006 on my first visit to Skye and enjoyed the walk – parking the car at the end of the road was very easy as there is ample space for parking and turning too. The walk was easy going and the views were fantastic the day we did it. I would recommend doing this on a clear day as the views make up for the relatively easy walk – it also helps when there is a breeze blowing in as you really feel this when you cross the gap on the final stretch to the light house.

I believe you can even stay at the light house as it’s a B&B, but I’m not 100% on that??
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:04 pm

They were holiday cottages for a while, but I don't think they are open anymore :?
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Michelle » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:55 pm

Lovely pics MC, thanks for sharing!

This is a walk I've passed over in favor of others "bigger and better" so to speak, the times I've been to Skye... if I can catch the weather right then I'll try to fit it in, will be back for a visit in a few weeks' time.

Laughing out loud about the Bilberry pie- I'm thinking I'll steer well clear of it! :lol:
Michelle
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:14

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:57 pm

It's a great place to visit at Sunset, Michelle. There are often minke whales in the middle of summer, too.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Michelle » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:16 pm

Thanks for the tip Paul. The husband has never been to Skye (or to Scotland at all, for that matter) so I'll be showing him around; that will make for a good end to a day.
Michelle
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:14

Postby lisa34 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:15 pm

when i was there last august we saw some minke whales and a couple of large seals, my hubby was fishing just off the rocks close to the lighthouse - this is were i saw them they were quite close inland the seals decided they werent going to fish for themselves as when my hubby pulled his line out one of the seals actually jumped out whipped it of the line all that was left was the head, it was a fantastic sight the whales must have been feeding as well, as we caught quite a few fish and had them for supper, we stayed there for a couple of hours and i got some great shots of the sunset i will post a couple when i can
Last edited by lisa34 on Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
lisa34

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:45 pm

Madam, this is a quality website ~ mind your grammar!
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby lisa34 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:45 am

Caberfeidh wrote:Madam, this is a quality website ~ mind your grammar!

huh - i know that, Sir, but i dont think people read these pages to correct others grammar
lisa34

Postby mountain coward » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:04 am

Think Caberfeidh's just being a madam!;-)

When we were there last year the lighthouse buildings were still doing B&B - quite fancied it! Just a final couple of pictures - there's an area where everyone's spent time building cairns - there's literally hundreds of them as anyone who's been there will have seen, some very ornate, like pagodas and suchlike... The second pic is of a 'bunny' my friend Richard and decided to build (we like bunnies;-)
Cairnland, Neist Point.jpg
Sphinx Bunny cairn.jpg
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland