walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cruach Lusach from Tayvallich

Cruach Lusach from Tayvallich

Postby iangpark » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:08 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cruach Lusach

Date walked: 18/10/2018

Time taken: 3.75 hours

Distance: 37 km

Ascent: 1344m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Was meant to be taking samples at Taynish for my dissertation but (due to quite a few reasons) that disintegrated and I decided to spend the next day climbing the next nearest marilyn; the only other one I could get to by bike other than Cnoc Reamhar. Only phone pictures as I didn't bring my camera up.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Didn't get an excellent sleep so took it easy in the morning and left at around 11:30am. I haven't cycled this road this far before and it was a lot of work, particularly as you approach the top of the cycle a bit before Barnluasgan. After that however, it was an easy free-wheel through Achnamara into Inverlussa. Taking the split in the road up to Kilmichael, I dropped the bike off just after a small hydro works building, at the bottom of a very steep forestry track.

After the long climb up, the track levelled out and continued on for a few minutes until I reached Lussa lochan, which was, to my surprise, a dam. The track abruptly ends and I climbed onto the concrete barrier to cross over it. The cliffs of Creag nam Fitheach tower over the lochan and remain a prominent landmark even from the summit. Literally, "cliff of the raven", it was only appropriate that I did in fact see and hear a raven calling from the top.

Creag nam Fitheach:
1 - creag an fhitich.jpg

After crossing the dam, I followed the re-emerging track around a corner and up to another crossroads. A contractor had been working away at a quarrying site only 50m away and I had been able to hear it even when on the road. Fortunately they were too far away to notice me and I continued on the other fork for a minute or two before jumping into the forestry. I was only in the forestry for a couple of minutes before reaching the moorland, but there was a great array of fungi beneath the conifers.

Best funghi of the day:
2 - funghi.jpg

I followed the deer fence up for 20m or so before deciding to cross it and make my way up a notch to Creag nan Iallaig. There was an interesting boulder on the way there - almost impenetrable except for a jagged angle at one side. I was determined to get up it before continuing on. Little did I know there was a ton of other scrambling opportunities ahead, had it been drier and sunny.

Fun boulder:
4 - fun boulder.jpg

Higher up looking back:
3 - higher up.jpg

I could see my target from the top of the ridge, about a kilometre away over a big boggy plain. I squelched my way through, managing to keep my feet dry, discounting sweat of course, which was emanating from every inch of my body.

The way ahead:
5 - marsh.jpg

It didn't take long before I was at the final steep section. A faint ATV track guided me on for a bit before I disregarded it to take a grassy rake up the the steep, heathery summit ridge.

Last ascent:
6 - ascent.jpg

Summit approaches:
7 - summit approaches.jpg

There are two other contenders for the top on this hill, but the summit block beside the cairn is apparently the true highest point. The views over to Stob Odhar and the Sound of Jura were great despite the overcast conditions.

Summit block:
8 - summit block.jpg

Looking south:
9 - looking south.jpg

Stob Odhar:
10 - stob odhar.jpg

Tayvallich, Cnoc Reamhar, Jura and Scarba:
11 - tayvallich cnoc reamhar scarba.jpg

After two big cups of tea, I made my way steeply back down, trying to follow the same route back. I initially didn't pay attention to where I was and ended up at the top of the huge rock face that protects the summit from an easy ascent. I had to make my way a bit more north before I could safely get down.

Probably best I didn't try navigate it:
12 - rock face.jpg

I followed the ATV track for much longer this time, curving around the contours of Creag nan Iallaig through birch woodland and back over the fence at the same post. Getting swiftly back through the forestry, there were fresh tracks on the path where a digger had gone uphill, visible from the summit. A nice easy stroll back to the bike.

Tayvallich view on descent, before steep track begins:
13 - tayvallich view on descent.jpg

The cycle back was initially gruelling up until the high point in the road, after which it subsided and the rest was plain sailing back to the caravan. A ton of work for only a single marilyn!
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland