walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ledi diversion

Ledi diversion

Postby U059361 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:53 pm

Route description: Ben Ledi

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Ledi

Date walked: 18/10/2018

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10.6 km

Ascent: 842m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There is a lot of work going on in Stank Glen area clearing all the fallen trees from (what almost 5 years ago?) the storm before the last one. A lot of felling has cleared away the trees and from the path on the other side you can clearly see the other path going down Stank Glen. Of course you cannot walk that way yet, big diversion which adds another 1km to the walk as you have to go back to the forest cabins before you can walk along the old railway back to the car park. It feels a lot longer.
When crossing the forest track going up, there are barriers up and a notice telling you about the restricted areas and diversion.
I took a photo and carried on, noting I'd have a longer walk if I came back via Stank.
IMG_4095.JPG
Diversion map

The weather had started off blue sky but it didn't take long to turn, so it became atmospheric (a bit too much so) on the way up. The new path is great, no scree to wade through any more and it's only the last big hill that it goes back to mostly nature. I got to the top in cloud, but there were breaks so I made the most of them with my camera. I had lunch too. Walked down the ridge to go back via Stank, I had plenty of time. The clouds though were thick and wouldn't move much, but I waited 20 minutes and they did clear for a bit.
ImageAcross Milton Glen to Venachar by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageMemorial cross by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageLedi emerging from the mist by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageMullach Buidhe into the clouds by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Back down to Stank, path pretty wet and eroded this way, no improvements here as it's not forestry land. Got back to the track and there was the diversion waiting for me.
IMG_4098.JPG
Diversion signs in Stank Glen

You have to go down the signposted route 'Back to Cabins'. I could see the area they were working, might not be closed for much longer, but you never know. Walk past the local power station and then a long track to the cabins, which is away from the car park and then the long tarmac road on the old railway back to the car park.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland