walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Spar cave when it is not low tide (with video)

Spar cave when it is not low tide (with video)

Postby Karl Brobakk » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:13 pm

Route description: The Spar Cave, near Elgol

Date walked: 02/10/2018

Distance: 0.75 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So, I thought I went when it was low tide...

I have seen pictures of what it is like when it is low tide, and that must be a different experience than the one I had.
I have to say it was somewhat difficult, but still doable. But how much more water is doable then...?

What I did (and you should do if you are to follow my example)
1) Do not take the normal route in. Take the first left they are telling you not to take.
2) Find the decent point, it is fairly obvious.
3) Walk around to the left as you would have either way.
4) Climb down to get down to the inlet.

Use the link bellow to check out my video from the Spar cave if you are interested. Starting 5 minutes and 40 seconds into the video.

Last edited by Karl Brobakk on Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Karl Brobakk

Re: Spar cave when it is not low tide...

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:27 am

Nice video. Looks like you had a great few days.

Tides are a dark art, even those who regularly plan tidal affected routes get caught out occasionally. The difference between a spring or a neap tide can be large, and then there's the fact the tide tables are usually Greenwich Mean Time, even when its actually British Summer Time.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland