walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr a Bhraonain

Sgurr a Bhraonain

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:51 pm

Date walked: 10/10/2018

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 400m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was on my way to try a visit to St Kilda with a group o worthies from various pairts. Set off early to get a Kintail Corbett in. There had been so much rain recently that the Laggan dam was overflowing, which I stopped to look at on the way by.

Laggan Dam.jpg
An overflowing Laggan Dam

As I drove down into Glen Shiel I caught sight of Faochag, which I remember flogging up last century, with a hangover after a particularly fine night in the Kintail Lodge Hotel, in Norman Tennent days. It still looks steep !

Am Faochagach.jpg
Faochag from the top of Glen Shiel

Thought I'd be clever, and being a height miser drove up to the Mam Ratagan to steal a few metres. The car park lower down was full of workies, so I parked at the side of the road further up where I could just get off the road.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The route was a bit lumpy, but a small penalty for starting so high. After descending from Sgurr a' Bhraonain, I spotted a couple of guys sitting looking up Sgurr Mhic Bhairraich with binoculars. As I drew closer, I could see it was a stalker and client. We exchanged pleasantries and established that we were going in the same direction. They were heading into Coire nan Laogh, so I thought I'd give them a good head start then bear over to the SW to minimise interference. But I was nervous as the wind would take my scent round into the corrie.

Morvich from Sg Bhaonain.jpg
Morvich from Sgurr a' Bhraonain

Sg am Bhairrich.jpg
W side of Sgurr Mhic Bhairraich

However, as I sat there scanning the hillside after the stalkers had left, a group of stags appeared on the skyline just where I proposed to go. I'd have spooked these beasts away from the stalkers , so that finished my walk up Sgurr Mhic Bhairrich. I headed off to return by the forestry track round Bora Chnoc and back up the road to the car.

the forestry track around Chnoc.jpg
The forestry track round Bora Chnoc

The forest bogle.jpg
A forest Bogle

A bit disappointing to be thwarted like this, but I suppose it was my own fault for not checking with the estate.
It was too late to go round to the Bridge o Shiel route, so I just wrote it off and checked into the hostel early for a Bad boy Bombay pot noodle !
Pretty mingin' but I have appalling tastes ! The evening views of the Five Sisters from the hostel were braw.

Five sisters from Ratagan Hostel.jpg
The Five sisters from Ratagan Hostel

An early start for the Uig-Tarbert ferry awaited, so I sneaked out before anyone was up and even remembered to leave my room key in the tin !
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:90
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland