walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great Glen Way Invermoriston who is the litter lout

Great Glen Way Invermoriston who is the litter lout

Postby desmondo1 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:59 pm

Route description: GGW 5 High Route: Invermoriston to Drumnadrochit

Date walked: 13/10/2018

Time taken: 5.21 hours

Distance: 23.6 km

Ascent: 735m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walk: Great Glen Way. Invermoriston - Drumnadrochit.
As I was in the area I decided to complete my penultimate stage of this long distance route. The forecast was for persistent rain arriving at lunchtime but in reality it sadly came much earlier.
start.jpg

Right after shop
I started from the car park in Invermoriston, heading along the Skye road turning right at the craft shop on the far side of the road.
Now follow the lane as it quickly climbs via the zig zag route and soon there are good views back down to Invermoriston.
div.jpg

Diversion
I was taking the High Route so I followed this diversion, not sure how new it is but the path is straightforward.
The path skirts the moor (deer fence all the way) before entering the wooded area for the next stretch. Still mostly climbing before it starts to descend steeply before rising again, a feature of the first half of this walk.
20181013_094714.jpg

Autumn woodland
As I leave the woods the rain comes on, lightly at first and then heavier and that was it for the day.
sculp.jpg

Wood and stone sculpture
Out on the moor an open landscape, good views and a nice surprise reaching the artistic sculpture in wood and stone. Some pheasants are sitting in the tree beside it undisturbed by my passing. Maybe the shooting we can hear means ‘stay put’ to them.
fall.jpg

Plenty of these on route
This area has been deforested and as I descended I look at the hill ahead to my left and spot a track near the summit. Then it clicks that is where I am heading, why am I descending?
brig.jpg

Ornate bridge
On this descent it crosses this lovely ornate wooden bridge, a real feature to remember.
20181013_115447.jpg

Colour on a drab day
Thankfully the next uphill is once again a zig-zag route so just keep on going as it steeply climbs. Finally I reach the top section as it curves the south flank of Creag Dhearg. If you thought about climbing it forget that as a large deer fence needs to be climbed.
LN.jpg

Finally a sighting of Loch Ness
Now I am at the viewpoint overlooking Loch Ness, which no doubt is an excellent spot on a nice day, lesser so today in the rain.
junc.jpg

Mid point
Sadly there has been limited sight of Loch Ness today and once again the route heads inland. The path is straightforward but it is becoming a bit of a trudge.
Indeed after the Pottery turn it becomes a road march for the next three miles not so enjoyable.
cafe). Here turn right and follow an off road path on the left side of the narrow road.
moor.jpg

Moorland to Drumnadrochit
After views of the moor the route goes away from the road for the descent into Drumnadrochit but in reality still a lot more tarmac walking.
A walk of two halves the first being much more enjoyable than second. Also the amount of ascent was a bit surprising, I know read the route properly, this was meant to be a leg warm up for 4 Munros over the next two days and indeed it was.
One major gripe was that for almost the whole walk someone had dropped a used tissue roughly every mile. I would love to ask that person why they go to the effort of being out in our great landscape and spoil it in this way, sad unthinking people.
Now just the final section to do and an excuse to come back next month.
That’s if the one bus per afternoon turns up and gets me back to my car at Invermoriston.

Wildlife: Grouse, Pheasant, Wheatear, Stonechat.
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Re: Great Glen Way Invermoriston who is the litter lout

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:12 am

Looks good (apart from the litter).

I don't think this high level route was around when I did the GGW a few years ago - unfortunately.

If your last leg is the walk in to Inverness you may be a bit disappointed - just a personal opinion but I found it the least interesting part of what I thought was a really good walk.

Hope you get decent weather for your finish.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland