walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie

Ben Chonzie

Postby jwramsay » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:02 am

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 16/10/2009

Time taken: 5 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Friday 16th October 2009 was an exceptional day for the time of year (as was the next day when I did Ben Nevis via the CMD Arete, which I detailed on here). An early finish from work allowed me to drive to THE CLOSEST munro to both my workplace and home.

On the A85 to Crieff, I just had to stop and take this picture due to the colours of the trees and the beauty of the spot:

Follow the A85 past Crief until you arrive at Comrie where you head north for Invergeldie in Glen Lednock. Folow this single track road until you see the well defined carpark for Ben Chonzie. If you hit the dam, you've gone too far. Here is the carpark:

Walk up past the cottages and through the sturdy gate:

The summit of Ben Chonzie is shown in the middle of this photo:

A great road winds it's way up the hill, so follow this until you see the obvious path on the left, I think it is marked by a small cairn. Once you reach the first major false summit, you'll encounter Hartley hare and his family, extended family, clan gathering - there are tons of these blighters up here.

Follow the old fence posts for the gentle stroll to the summit shelter, where a nice view down into Glen Turret with it's Loch and dam opens up.

There are reasonable views all around, I'm sure I could see the Cairngorms covered in snow from up here, not that a photo could pick out that detail.

As the sunset was imminent, I retraced by steps to the Hare's locum and then just decided to drop straight down the heather clad hill to the road much lower down.

The colours of the trees are dusk were just super, with the bellow of stags surrounding me

By the time I got back to the cottages, it was dark. I surprised this guy with my flash!

Not the greatest of munros. Good if you like hares I suppose.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsLjP-ed0YE[/youtube]
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by jwramsay on Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Re: Ben Chonzie

Postby Merry-walker » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:15 pm

Excellent :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm confussed though, about the dates?
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Ben Chonzie

Postby jwramsay » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:12 pm

Merry-walker wrote:Excellent :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm confussed though, about the dates?

Thanks fixed it. Was definately over 1 year ago!
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland