walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tasty Ullapool Sub - An Teallach evades capture yet again!

Tasty Ullapool Sub - An Teallach evades capture yet again!

Postby Graeme D » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:29 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn Eilideach

Date walked: 12/10/2018

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 8.3 km

Ascent: 520m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day 2 of our October holiday mini-break in Ullapool and having had a pretty decent day yesterday on Stac Pollaidh, the forecast for today looked a lot more unsettled. The morning was spent hanging about the studio apartment procrastinating, until Debbie finally announced that she didn't want to go hillwalking today. She was going to wander into Ullapool for a few hours after lunch to explore, so I decided that I would nip up the Sub 2K Marilyn immediately at the back of us during what looked to be a decent weather window of a couple of hours in the early afternoon. We had spied the hill on Wednesday evening when we wandered into Ullapool via the hill path and nipped up to Ullapool Hill on the way. It looked like a fairly substantial hill with a bit of character, more so than many of these hills on my done list.

I quickly packed a little day pack before the weather gods had a change of heart and headed up the drive and the road that leads up to the transmitter masts at the top of the Braes.

IMG_8439.JPG
The accommodation - Braes Studio Appartment

IMG_8440.JPG
The target from the service road to the transmitters

After passing through the gate, I detoured down to the left a bit to get views over Ullapool before returning to the gate where I turned right onto a fairly boggy path rather than following the hill path further round to where I knew there would be decent access onto the hill.

IMG_8444.JPG
Ullapool from just beyond the gate

This path followed a series of fire breaks deeper into the forestry until I eventually found myself faced with a dead end. Fortunately however I could see daylight and open hillside beyond the trees in the cul-de-sac. It looked like I only had 30 or 40 yards or so between me and the open hill, and the trees weren't too densely packed.

IMG_8445.JPG
Beinn Eilideach from the transmitters

IMG_8446.JPG
Loch Broom and a transmitter close up and personal

IMG_8448.JPG
A rather boggy affair in the forestry

IMG_8449.JPG
Dead end ahead

A quick clamber over a deer fence followed before I was spat out onto the open hillside. I climbed a little further to pick up a broad shoulder which looked like it would give me fairly straightforward access to the upper slopes and summit beyond.

IMG_8451.JPG
Beinn Eilideach from the deer fence at the top of the forestry

IMG_8453.JPG
Hazy Fannaichs beyond Loch Broom

IMG_8454.JPG
This little hill has a bit of character about it!

Although this hill has a bit of character and substance about it (it felt more Corbett like in many ways than a mere Sub2K), it is mostly about location, location, location, with grand views to the big attractions of Coigach and Assynt to the north, the Scoraig and Dundonnell hills to the west and the Fannaichs and Beinn Dearg hills to the south, as well as the views up and down Loch Broom and the seascapes stretching out to and beyond the Summer Isles towards the Minch.

IMG_8455.JPG
Back down to Ullapool and Loch Broom with Sail Mhor and Beinn Ghobhlach dominating the skyline beyond

IMG_8456.JPG
The Coigach Grahams

IMG_8460.JPG
A hazy An Teallach

IMG_8466.JPG
Scrambling opportunity ahead

IMG_8468.JPG
Coigach

IMG_8473.JPG
Still looking a bit iffy over the Fannaichs

IMG_8475.JPG
Beinn More Coigach - I'm such a sucker for a view over a lochan!

The summit did not come easily on this one - a few false summits and rocky knolls and a couple of dips before reascent had to be negotiated before the beast was in the bag, but eventually I stood at the summit where in keeping with the general feel, the summit infrastructure was more befitting of a bigger, loftier hill than a wee Subbie.

IMG_8480.JPG
Substantial wee shelter within the outer perimeter of the shelter cairn

IMG_8481.JPG
It may not be one of the big boys but I have thoroughly enjoyed this wee hill

IMG_8482.JPG
Beinn Ghobhlach - a target for tomorrow?

IMG_8484.JPG
Coigach again

The rain threatened but came to nought until I was literally turning back into the driveway of number 18a The Braes (having decided to forego the forestry experience and take the longer way round via the stile at the far corner of the trees and the hill path back round below them). A bit of perfect timing for once. Maybe not An Teallach (again!!!!), but still a very worthwhile lesser light amongst the hills of Wester Ross.

IMG_8485.JPG
The long and knobbly road home from the summit

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Tasty Ullapool Sub - An Teallach evades capture yet agai

Postby kevsbald » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:28 pm

Nothing better (well not many) than getting on to a hill from your holiday destination that's in full view. Looks a good wee pad - impressive shelter.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland