walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Suaineabhal - Lewis

Suaineabhal - Lewis

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:03 am

Date walked: 13/10/2018

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 7.7 km

Ascent: 480m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having had a day off downing a second breakfast at John Glenesk's in Geisaidar and hiding in Fiona's cafe at Aird Uig from the Lewis gales yesterday, I felt that the nearest hill was sufficient challenge, so I trundled off up the road to find the track going up the glen towards Suaineabhal. It soon petered out in a boggy area near a wee loch. Splashed my way up onto a rocky rib which gave comfortable walking up to the top. Quite a substantial cairn on the top. Some good viewa across to the Mealisbhal hills, but still a bit hazy out at sea.
Cooried doon behind the cairn for my piece to take in some dramatic country.
Dribbled off down in the general direction of Carishader with my GPS & map in my pocket. Consequently, when I bumped into a fence I thought " I didn't cross a fence on the way up". Seems that after photographing a wee lochan that I thought was photogenic, I'd wandered round the other side of a Loch Cnuimbeag and down by the Abhain Beag to reach the road on the other side of Carishader. A mere 90degrees out.....hey - nobody's perfect ! No damage done this time ! Looks like a nice circular route on the map - after the event !

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Start of the track up Suaineabhal.jpg
Start of the track up Suaineabhal - Otter Bunkhouse down the road

Selfie on Suaineabhal.jpg
Selfie on Suaineabhal

Mealaisbhal from Suaineabhal.jpg
Mealasbhal Cracabhal & Tathabhal from the top of Suaineasbhal

A wee lochan on Suaineabhal.jpg
Photsotop at a wee lovhan on Suaineabhal - a nav distraction

The day was finished off by a fine meal at Miriam's Loch Croistean Resturant with " the Judge" and some of the other members of our weathered off St K expedition !
Last edited by Gordon Ballantyne on Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:90
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

Re: Suaineabhal - Lewis

Postby Sgurr » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:07 pm

This is my favourite hill on Lewis. Did you carry on along the road westwards and find the band by the cattle grid? We have seen them several times. At one point the guy was removed for repairs, but seemed to reappear even more poorly. This is him BEFORE falling ill. Persuaded husband to pose in the vacant seat

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:58 pm

Sgurr wrote:This is my favourite hill on Lewis. Did you carry on along the road westwards and find the band by the cattle grid? We have seen them several times. At one point the guy was removed for repairs, but seemed to reappear even more poorly. This is him BEFORE falling ill. Persuaded husband to pose in the vacant seat

The band is in a sorry state at the moment Sgurr, with the drummer aff his heid !

The Carishader band.jpg
The Carishader band
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:90
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

Postby Sgurr » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:13 pm

:( :thumbdown: :-? That is SO sad. Something to do with the booze? It's gone.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland