walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mealasbhal & the Bhaltos peninsula - Lewis

Mealasbhal & the Bhaltos peninsula - Lewis

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:25 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Mealaisbhal (Lewis)

Date walked: 14/10/2018

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 764m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Mealaisbhal is the highest of the Uig Marilyns, so I unloaded my bike at the end of the track just past the Distillery and pedalled off.
There was a "private road" sign and gate at the Abhan Stocaill dip about a mile up the . There is another gate further up the track with a tight ( for a bike) bypass.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

There were showers barreling north down through the glen which gave rise to lots of primary & secondary rainbows.
I abandoned my bike where the track and Loch Raonasgail come close to the descending rocky ridges of Mula Mac Sgiathain.

Looking up the Tamnabhaig track with the impressive crags of Teinneasabhal dominating the glen.jpg
Looking up the Tamnabhaig track with the impressive crags of Teinneasabhal dominating the glen

This seemed to give relief from the boggy bits and made the ascent easier than yesterdays splashing. As the showers continued to bowl down the glen, I sheltered behind convenient rocks to avoid the worst of them. From the bealach between Mula Mac Sgiathain and Mealaisbhal I spotted a notch in Mealaisbhal's summit ridge so headed for it. A wee scramble to the east from this notch brought me to the top. The showers seem to have petered out now so I could enjoy the view although there was a wee edge on the breeze -normal for october in Scotland but I must've got softened by the hot winds of the past summer !

The top of Mealaisbhal from Mula Mac Sgiathain.jpg
The top of Mealaisbhal from Mula Mac Sgiathain

Looking out to sea from the top of Mealaisbhal.jpg
Looking out to sea from the top of Mealaisbhal

I shuffled off down to the bealach to have apieve out of the breeze. As I sat looking up Cracabhal, I felt a bit intimidated by the thought of having to descend back down through the crags. Eventually I phsych'd myself out and descended into the glen by a fairly hairy series of outcrops which I'd noted from my starting point. Just needed to take it easy and take a lead from the animal tracks that threaded their way between the crags ( Ray Mears would've been proud of me ! )

The descent route from near Glipan Teodha into Glen Raonaisgail.jpg
The descent route from near Glipan Teodha into Glen Raonaisgail

Near the bottom I watched an estate vehicle cruise by, but it was too far away for a pleading look for a lift back to my bike. It's easy to forget that when you've had a stiff descent and the legs are like jeelie, that the object of game is primarily exercise - so discipline is needed.

More rainbows on the way back doon the glen.jpg
More rainbows on the way back doon the glen

Anyway it was only a short shuffle back to the bike and an easy hurl doon the glen past the cattle. Near the bottom of the track, I stopped to news with a couple out for a walk. They were apparently looking forward to a fish supper in Stornaway that was open on - SUNDAY ! Shock, horror. !
On my way back to the Otter Bunkhouse, I made a ( clockwise - as requester ) circuit round the Bhaltos peninsula to view the stunning beaches and have a look at the Lochlann boat that was primed to take us to St Kilda.( the weather never relented, so it didn't happen this time )

Near the discovery site of the Lewis Chessmen.jpg
Near the discovery site of the Lewis Chessmen

The beaches of the Bhaltos peninsula.jpg
The beaches of the Bhaltos peninsula

Uig C of S church.jpg
Uig C of S church

Toffee coo with Carishader across the water behind.jpg
Toffee coo with Carishader across the water behind

The Uig quay with the bunkhouse across the water.jpg
The Uig quay with the bunkhouse across the water
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:90
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

Re: Mealasbhal & the Bhaltos peninsula - Lewis

Postby Sgurr » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:23 pm

Is there a chippy in Stornaway open on Sunday? Things are slipping/opening up/ interesting (delete according to "moral" views). We did this hill from the west following the Cicerone Guide. Much less daunting descent than yours.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland