walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben More and Stob Binnein

Ben More and Stob Binnein

Postby jwramsay » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:30 pm

Route description: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Munros included on this walk: Ben More, Stob Binnein

Date walked: 08/11/2009

Time taken: 9 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My final munros of 2009, the pair that are Ben More and Stob Binnean.

Being a fair weather climber, it was a crisp winters morning in the Central Belt, so I decided to head for the hills. It was only when I hit Loch Lomond that I realised there was snow on the higher peaks - nice!

As usual, stopped for photos on the way

A chilly Loch Lomond:

Crianlarich Hills from Inverarnan

I arrived at Ben More farm at 10am, there were plenty of spaces in the layby. A rather usual little sign points to Ben More, so followed that. A twisty road takes you to the base of Ben More and folks were heading off theere and climbing straight up it. It looked a steep hill, so I blanked that route and followed the road around the right hand side of Ben More. I could make out that if I climbed at at a shallow angle, I could hit the beallach between the two mountains, so I headed for that.

The beallach was where the snow began and the trudge up Stob Binnean was all in snow. The views from the top were excellent, with Ben Vorlich and Stuc a' Chroin not far away:

Stob Binnean was casting a huge shadow in the direction of the fogged in Loch Tay:

Ben More from the beallach:

Back down to the Beallach and the hardest part of the day lay ahead, the ascent up Ben More in the winter sun. I got to the snow bound top around 5pm, so couldn't afford to hang about, I'd to descent rapidy down the steep front size of Ben More towards the road.

I had time for a few snaps though:

Stob Binnean from Ben More:

Ben Nevis and the CMD Arete:

Ben More trig point and impending sunset

The descent became horrible. No path, slippy boggy ground. Slid around 10 times and ended up on by behind. Darkness moving in rapidy. The fog now engulfed the A84. Nightmare.

Caught up with 2 fellow climbers who were waiting to test their new head torches out, made it along the foggy road back to the A84 for around 7pm. Yes 9 hours for the pair - told you I was slow!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eenEAu5ZEUg[/youtube]
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Re: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Postby skuk007 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:41 pm

Nice report and video jw - really like some of those pics, great light with the low sun.

I did this route in reverse earlier this year so I was one of the crazies who tackled the north side of Ben More directly - it was a hard slog. You did well to get up the steep south side so late in the day. Remember the pain in my knees just coming down it. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:19 pm

Great photos, especially the last 2 :)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby gymman47 » Wed May 29, 2013 3:28 pm

Amazing pictures :clap:
gymman47
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland