walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Forcan ridge and the saddle in 4 hours (with video)

Forcan ridge and the saddle in 4 hours (with video)

Postby Karl Brobakk » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:03 pm

Route description: The Saddle, Forcan Ridge and Sgùrr na Sgìne

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr na Sgìne, The Saddle

Date walked: 01/10/2018

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1000m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So, do you really have to hike for 7-9 hours? Not at all...

After you have parked the car you gain a fair amount of elevation. When you get to where the ridge hike starts you take the ridge all the way to The saddle. When you get to The saddle you make your way down to the left on the trail. There should be a trail forking off to the right that can take you to Sgurr na Sgine now. If you are not up for the extra hours then you follow the trail straight ahead keeping Forcan ridge on your right all the time. After a while you get back to where you started the ridge hike. Same way down from here. I got back to the car after 4 hours. This loop could be done the other way around.

Use the linke bellow to check out my video from hiking Forcan ridge and The saddle. Starting 1 minute into the video.

Last edited by Karl Brobakk on Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Karl Brobakk

Re: Forcan ridge and the saddle in 4 hours

Postby kevsbald » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:51 pm

You don't need to hike for 7 hours or so but sometimes it's nice to. Nice wee vid. I kept waiting for Les Dawson to play the piano. Glad you enjoyed getting out and about.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Forcan ridge and the saddle in 4 hours (with video)

Postby Karl Brobakk » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:00 pm

I enjoy long hikes too, but I had a very long day. I got up at 5 am, drove a total of 5 hours, and had 1 more hour of hiking in addition to the 4 hours I spent hiking Forcan ridge and the saddle. And the weather predictions said it would rain cats and dogs from 3 pm and for the rest of the day so I wanted to get going :)
Karl Brobakk

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland