walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Why go for the ascent when it is foggy? (with video)

Why go for the ascent when it is foggy? (with video)

Postby Karl Brobakk » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:29 pm

Route description: The Storr - ascent

Fionas included on this walk: The Storr

Date walked: 03/10/2018

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 700m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

When you can't even see The old man of storr, then you should turn and go back, right?

Well, you might miss out on the great views, but you also gain a lot by doing the ascent:

1) A good workout
2) Baggin' the summit
3) No crowds, just you and the sheep
4) A sense of achievement due to the difficult conditions.

A few words from my ascent of Storr.
I had to ask people if it was The old man up on the hill since the visibility was bad. After having checked out the area I just followed the trail further along to the North. After crossing the fence I headed up to the left and stayed close to the ridge. Since I did not see much I ended up on a sheep path after a while with the cliff on my left. Yes, on my left. I asumed I was hiking in the right direction and kept hiking with the cliff on my left for quite a while. After the cliff was gone I got out on open terrain. This is where I probably doubted my own judgement. I started using Strava (cell service was good) to get an idea of where I was, and it turned out I was right next to the summit. I gained elevation for a few minutes and got to the top then.

Then the question was how to get down. I had a compas with me, and Strava as well. I used the instruments and figured out which direction I was going. Finding a way down was harder though since I could not see anything. I poked around a little bit, but ended up finding a decent way down. Since in had to option of checking out which direction I was going in I was never concerned, but I still do not know exactly where I hiked that day. I still enjoyed the hike and the fact that I had to put in an effort to get down again.

Use the link bellow to check out my video from the ascent of Storr if you are interested. Starting 7 minutes and 20 seconds into the video.

Karl Brobakk

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland