walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mangastadh, Mealasta & The Timsgearraidh Museum

Mangastadh, Mealasta & The Timsgearraidh Museum

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:29 am

Date walked: 17/10/2018

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sightseeing trip in the Uig area.....

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Drove down to the Uig beach and I can confirm that it is beautiful but exposed to the prevailing southwesterlies.
The approx location where the Lewis Chessmen were found is marked by a wooden effigy of one of the men.

Discovery place of the Uig Chessmen.jpg
Discovery place of the Lewis Chessmen

The Mangastadh cliffs and stacks were being lashed by waves driven in by a fairly brisk wind.
A family asked me where the bothy was, but I advised them against visiting it due to it's exposure to the wind.
I retreated after taking a few pics of the boiling water thundering against the rocks below.

Mangerstadh.jpg
Mangerstadh

Drove through the gate out to the comms mast at Gob rubha Phail ( doesn't need much translation - eh ? ).
The scene was repeated. An SSE van was parked outside the terminal building - it's occupants sensibly working indoors.

The comms station at Gob Rubha Phait.jpg
The comms station at Gob Rubha Phait

Skerries off Gob Rubha Phait.jpg
Skerries off Gob Rubha Phait

I then drove to the end of the road just beyond Mealasta.to get a good view of Griomabhal. An empty parked car made me think that someone was on the way up Griomabhal.

The end of the road just past Mealasta.jpg
The end of the road just past Mealasta

Looking back up the road from the terminus.jpg
Looking back up the road from the terminus

Griomabhal from the end of the road.jpg
Griomabhal from the end of the road

On the way back I revisited Aird Uig again to get a pic of the painted building etc. Funnily enough the sea was still thrashing the rocks of the Gallan Head with the same ferocity.
Next on my tourist agenda was the Museum at Timsgearraidh. Following my lunch at the adjacent cafe, a tour round the museum was a delight. The local community had packed quite a lot of intersting exhibits into quite a small space.

War Memorial.jpg
Uig War Memorial

The Timsgearraidh museum.jpg
The Timsgearraidh museum

Outside the Timsgearraidh museum.jpg
Outside the Timsgearraidh Museum

The overall impression I got was a community sick & tired of waiting for central governments of any persuasion to deliver improvements, who had raised cash for buyouts to take control for themselves - good for them, an exemplar for other remote communities !
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:91
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland