walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Ghobhlach and the thin line between orange and grey

Beinn Ghobhlach and the thin line between orange and grey

Postby Graeme D » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:38 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Ghobhlach

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cnoc a'Bhaid-rallaich

Date walked: 13/10/2018

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 7.2 km

Ascent: 840m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Saturday. Third and final day of our stay in Ullapool and the weather had deteriorated from being lovely on the Wednesday when we had travelled up, to reasonable on the Thursday when we did Stac Pollaidh, to variable on the Friday when I had done Beinn Eilideach to downright pants today when I had planned to do Beinn Ghobhlach.

I say pants, but there was the merest glimmer of lighter looking skies above Ullapool and the Scoraig Peninsula across Loch Broom from our accommodation. Debbie was quite receptive to the idea of driving me round to Badrallach on the west side of the peninsula and leaving me there for a few hours while she went off exploring low level. I must say the thought of just heading into Ullapool and going on a pub crawl sounded more appealing than tackling Beinn Ghobhlach in such skanky conditions but my desire to hit 60 Grahams before heading back south tomorrow must have gotten the better of me because the next thing I knew I was in the passenger seat heading towards Braemore Junction and the turn off for the Destitution Road.

Maybe it was just the cold, damp, grey conditions but the drive along the Scoraig Peninsula up to the high point of the single track road and then down to Badrallach felt like a drive into a desolate, god-forsaken wasteland. The road (let's be positive and call it that!) was awash in places with livestock sh*t and peppered with potholes. At one point a group of angry looking cows barred the road and engaged us in a stare-off competition. When they refused to move, I got out the car to try to gently encourage them on their way and one of them proceeded to mount another one right in front of me! :roll: Get a room and get off the bloody highway! :lol:

Eventually they decided that I meant business and dispersed into the greyness allowing us to proceed to the parking area at the end of the road and the start of the path to Scoraig.

IMG_8487.JPG
Sail Mhor across Little Loch Broom from the end of the "road"

IMG_8489.JPG
Most of the population of Badrallach

Debbie accompanied me a short distance along the path before I took to the hillside and she returned to the car, planning to head round to Dundonnell and the Ardessie Falls to do a bit of snooping with her camera.

IMG_8492.JPG
An Teallach and Sail Mhor from the early stages of the ascent up the featureless slopes

There is not a great deal to say about the walk after that. It was damp, it was grey, bits of it were autumnal orange. It was fairly short and sharp and I certainly didn't experience the Forked Mountain or her views in anything close to their prime, but it got me out and got the Graham count up to 60. I think I may revisit one day when I am back up here with a half day to spare and the conditions are more pleasant.

IMG_8495.JPG
Beinn Ghobhlach beyond Lochs na h-Uidhe and na Coireig

IMG_8497.JPG
West over Loch na h-Uidhe

IMG_8498.JPG
East over Loch na Coireig

IMG_8499.JPG
Back down over the lochs towards Sail Mhor

IMG_8503.JPG
From higher up - Little Loch Broom coming back into view

IMG_8505.JPG
The business end of the Scoraig Peninsula

IMG_8506.JPG
Magnificent views from the summit

IMG_8507.JPG
Summit to sea, or not as the case may be!

IMG_8508.JPG
I'm lovin' it!

I decided to spice things up a bit on the descent by grabbing the Sub2K of Cnoc a'Bhaid-rallaich. Maybe the sun would be shining and summer would still be in full swing there!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

IMG_8510.JPG
Descending towards Cnoc a'Bhaid-rallaich

IMG_8511.JPG
Loch a'Bhealaich and the Subbie

IMG_8513.JPG
Mushroom rock and Loch a'Bhealaich

IMG_8516.JPG
My very own private beach!

IMG_8519.JPG
Beinn Ghobhlach from Cnoc a'Bhaid-rallaich

IMG_8520.JPG
Towards Ullapool and Coigach from the summit

IMG_8522.JPG
A bit drookit!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Graeme D on Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Beinn Ghobhlach and the thin line between orange and gre

Postby jupe1407 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:41 pm

You've not really sold that walk to me in all honesty :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Re: Beinn Ghobhlach and the thin line between orange and gre

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:00 pm

Nice one despite dull weather. I think this hill doesn't need any selling :wink:

There used to be a wooden cross on the summit, i wonder what happened to it... Maybe somebody took it as a souvenir?

BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland