walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An unlikely tale - Clouds Part on the Summit

An unlikely tale - Clouds Part on the Summit

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:32 pm

Route description: Dùn da Ghaoithe, near Craignure

Corbetts included on this walk: Dùn da Ghaoithe

Date walked: 08/09/2018

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Vlog :

After milling around Oban for a few days we were headed for an Island adventure....

some quick snaps from Oban:

ImageoBAN by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageFerry to Mull by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Heading onto a ferry to go hiking always seems to get me excited and adds a little more adventure to the day!! My pal, Steve had been up helping me at work in Oban for a few days and was keen to head up a Scottish hill. Although being born south of the border, Steve has always considered himself Scottish have Aberdonian parentage and had been asking for years to accompany me on an adventure.

So 0630am, and we were up and waiting to board the ferry to Mull. The weather was good and we soon set sail towards The Sound of Mull! Coffee and a couple of bacon butties devoured and we headed up onto the deck to view our objective for the day – Dun da Ghaoithe! The clouds were starting to form but things still looked good, albeit with a deteriorating forecast!!!

ImageSound of Mull Lighthouse by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

The drive to the start of the hill was short (very short) and we were soon striding up the road towards the masts. Unfortunately the cloud had arrived and by the time we reached the first mast, we were well and truly in the Scottish mists!! Waterproofs on and we headed onwards away from the road and on more familiar hillwalking terrain!!

ImageMull Rays by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Navigation heads working now saw us reach the first top of Mainnit nam Fiadh…. Then something strange happened! The light changed and for the next 45 minutes the cloud floated down below us and our target summit was revealed. This gave an extra spring to the step and we soon found ourselves on the top of Dun da Ghaoithe with excellent views and mists swirling all around. Its not very often I get this luck!!

ImageDun da Ghaoithe by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Our 45 minutes of good luck was soon up and as we left the summit the clag and mists enveloped us again as we headed back the way we came! The drizzle started and by the time we returned to the car , the waterproofs were dripping. However we felt we had scored a goal with the clouds parting at the top and were a happy couple of hikers 

Back to the ferry terminal and time for another coffee and some carrot cake and the ferry home. Then a long drive for me but a train trip for Steve back to London!! A fine trip and a fine mountain (from what we saw in 45 minutes!!)
wilkiemurray

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland