walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Trilleachan, a waterlogged hell with pitfalls

Beinn Trilleachan, a waterlogged hell with pitfalls

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:48 pm

Route description: Beinn Trilleachan, Glen Etive

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Trilleachan

Date walked: 03/08/2018

Distance: 8.32 km

Ascent: 1002m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was to be the first hill planned for the Argyll Mountaineering Clubs Glenfinnan weekend, and was to be done en route to the Glenfinnan Bunkhouse where we were to be staying. Martin and I had decided to meet up early at the Green Welly for a bacon roll and coffee where our plans for the weekend were to be hatched. He was going to do a munro at the Glencoe chairlift and I was desperate to add to my Corbett tally and this was to be the one. After food and drink we both headed off in the same direction he turning in at the chairlift road and me proceeding to the Glen Ettive turn off, after a mile I got stuck behind a tourist who obviously didn't understand what the passing places were meant for so after many flashing of the lights and eventually resorting to the blast of the horn method he finally took the hint and allowed me to pass. I finally arrived at the parking area at the head of the glen and was booting up when Martin arrived ,he had not been able to get far up the chairlift road as it was being used for some sporting event and he had decided to join me instead.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.jpg
View looking down Loch Etive
2.jpg
From the car park a view of the East shoulder of the Corbett to be climbed
3.jpg
Follow the fence line up to the high point, underfoot conditions were very wet and many holes had to be carefully avoided
4.jpg
Looking back, deep and wet undergrowth
5.jpg
Yes very deep in places making it difficult to see where your putting your feet
6.jpg
Yes we are heading up there little signs of any sort of a path
7.jpg
Having left the plantation behind, still rough going
8.jpg
Long wet grass awaits us, it's at this point we see we are not alone on the hill as there are two figures in the gloom beyond us. We finally meet up with Ken and Irene, if your reading this you two hope you got off the hill safely, we had many tumbles coming off the hill.
9.jpg
Crossing a slabby section of the summit
10.jpg
At the minor top before a slight down climb between the two tops
11.jpg
Down climb section
12.jpg
At the summit cairn, once again no views
13.jpg
On the way down we went slightly different ways both not particularly nice, lots of wet sections, lots of hidden holes, lots of falls as a result, no injuries I'm glad to say. We meet up just before the fence line.
14.jpg
The final section of the stumbling walk to the awaiting cars
Attachments
1.jpg
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Beinn Trilleachan, a waterlogged hell with pitfalls

Postby Sgurr » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:13 pm

Good to read a normal human being's account of this hill, very much as I remember it, though we had better weather, after malky_c and Jaxter's mega-circuit. That included the intervening Marilyn and Beinn Sgulaird, complete with a torchlight walk through tussocks to top everything. Nice to think that one doesn't HAVE to bag everything on the map round there.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Re: Beinn Trilleachan, a waterlogged hell with pitfalls

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:39 pm

Sgurr wrote:Good to read a normal human being's account of this hill, very much as I remember it, though we had better weather, after malky_c and Jaxter's mega-circuit. That included the intervening Marilyn and Beinn Sgulaird, complete with a torchlight walk through tussocks to top everything. Nice to think that one doesn't HAVE to bag everything on the map round there.

Just think that most people will want to do some hills as a single hill and I try and give some idea of the underfoot conditions that exist so people can make up their own minds up as to what footwear and time of year they want to undertake the said hills. Disappointed we did not have any views from the summit but hey it's noted and may come back another day and take a different route, after a very dry spell with clear blue skies :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland