walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Gorm circuit, the snow's here

Carn Gorm circuit, the snow's here

Postby maxie23 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:29 pm

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 28/10/2018

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 20.3 km

Ascent: 1586m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Forecast for 28 October promised light winds and good visibility on the tops.
Travelled up to Glen Lyon, through Killin first, then along Loch Tay, finally along the single track road to Invervar and parked in the off road car park, only one other occupant there at 06.45.
Outside temperature was -3, got booted up and started walking at 07.00.
Followed WH route across road and through gate.ImageOld Lint Mill at start of walk by robert irvine, on Flickr
Up through area of felled trees, watch your footing, branches and logs lying everywhere.
Through gate, follow sign pointing left and follow track until you cross the Invervar burn on the shoogly bridge, really could do with a bit of tender loving care.ImageFollow the signs, please by robert irvine, on FlickrImageI'm no expert, but this does not look safe by robert irvine, on FlickrImageNice view of burn by robert irvine, on Flickr
Looking back down the burn you could see the sunrise in Glen Lyon.ImageSunrise down in Glen Lyon by robert irvine, on Flickr
After crossing the burn the path skirts along the edge of a forested area and then heads uphill across open ground, which would normally be a bit boggy but was frozen solid this morning and then you catch your first glimpse of the top of Carn Gorm.ImageCarn Gorm peak with snow and first rays of sun by robert irvine, on Flickr
The early sun was producing some gorgeous colour effects on the hillsides.ImageClose up, cracking colours by robert irvine, on Flickr
Bit of a slog now, up to the snow line.ImageAlmost there, through the snow by robert irvine, on Flickr
Wind chill on top was forecast to be -8 to -10 and it certainly felt like it, bitterly cold early morning summit, lovely.ImageCold and windy summit, cracking views by robert irvine, on FlickrImageAnd again by robert irvine, on FlickrImageCarn Gorm summit to Meal Garbh, Carn Mairg and Creag Mhor by robert irvine, on FlickrImageLong shadow to second cairn, Carn Gorm by robert irvine, on FlickrImageClose up of second cairn, Carn Gorm by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBen Lawyers range by robert irvine, on FlickrImageCarn Gorm summit to Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin centre, Ben More and Stob Binnein right by robert irvine, on FlickrImageCarn Gorm second cairn back to sunny summit cairn by robert irvine, on Flickr
I crossed to the second cairn and was trying to get a photo down to Loch Rannoch when I noticed this, my first view of a broken spectre.ImageBroken spectre from Carn Gorm top by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBroken spectre from Carn Gorm top 2 by robert irvine, on Flickr
Finally the mist cleared and I got a view of Loch Rannoch.ImageCarn Gorm down to Loch Rannoch by robert irvine, on Flickr
Also took a picture of a lonely looking cloud floating past.ImageLonely cloud from Carn Gorm close up by robert irvine, on Flickr
Bit chilly to hang about so I made my way down the far side of Carn Gorm, there was a lot of icy snow on this side, bit slippy at times.ImageCarn Gorm summit from descent by robert irvine, on Flickr
Down to the bealach and then back uphill towards the second Munro, Meall Garbh.ImageMeall Garbh from bealach by robert irvine, on FlickrImageCarn Gorm and An Sgorr from bealach by robert irvine, on Flickr
It's not a very long climb before you reach the boulder field at the top of Meall Garbh.ImageApproaching Meall Garbh top, god it looks cold by robert irvine, on Flickr
By now, the weather had clouded over a bit and boy did it make for some cold looking photos.ImageMeall Garbh summit by robert irvine, on FlickrImageHelp. I'm bloody cold and being blown over by robert irvine, on FlickrImageSchiehallion lurking in background by robert irvine, on FlickrImageMeall Garbh summit sculpture with Lawyers range behind by robert irvine, on Flickr
Once again, I did not hang about long and began the long trek to the third Munro, Carn Mairg.ImageOn the long and broad ridge to Carn Mairg by robert irvine, on Flickr
On the way, the blue skies returned.ImageNice photo by robert irvine, on FlickrImageStill on ridge to Carn Mairg by robert irvine, on FlickrImageCarn Mairg in distance by robert irvine, on FlickrImageCarn Mairg in distance close up, is that a contradiction by robert irvine, on FlickrImageCreag Mhor summit close up by robert irvine, on Flickr
Finally, after a long trudge through the snow, the summit came into view, hooray ImageCarn Mairg summit, hoorah by robert irvine, on Flickr
The summit cairn did provide some shelter from the wind so I sat here for a while and had lunch, lovely place to be.ImageCarn Mairg to Schiehallion by robert irvine, on FlickrImageCarn Mairg to Lawyers range by robert irvine, on FlickrImageCarn Mairg to Creag Mhor by robert irvine, on FlickrImageCarn Mairg back to Carn Gorm by robert irvine, on Flickr
Leaving the summit, you should keep to the left of the crags and descend carefully, aim for the left of the very prominent dyke.ImageCarn Mairg summit descent, aim for left of dyke by robert irvine, on Flickr
Then follow the path down to the bealach and up to the top of the fourth Munro, Creag Mhor.ImageCreag Mhor from bealach by robert irvine, on Flickr
I must admit, my legs were beginning to tire a little and it became a bit of a slog up to the peak, but worth it, as always.ImageCreag Mhor summit peeking out by robert irvine, on FlickrImageCreag Mhor summit cairn by robert irvine, on Flickr
By now, the wind had really dropped and it was a pleasure to have a seat and enjoy the views, especially when you knew that this was the last climb of the day.ImageCreag Mhor summit to Schiehallion by robert irvine, on FlickrImageCreag Mhor summit back to Carn Mairg by robert irvine, on FlickrImageCreag Mhor summit back to Carn Mairg, Meall Garbh and Carn Gorm by robert irvine, on Flickr
Popped across to the second top for a quick look before going down.
The descent route is along a wide grassy ridge, following a very obvious stalkers path. ImageThe ridge back down to Glen Lyon by robert irvine, on Flickr
Towards the end of the ridge, you turn right at a way post and the path steepens a bit until you arrive back at the area of felled trees again and retrace your steps back to the car park.
Cracking days walking in mostly great weather and four Munro's bagged.

Carn Gorm circuit, Glen Lyon 28 October 2018.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

P.S on photos, should be Ben Lawers, not Lawyers, duuuh !
maxie23

Munros:67   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Carn Gorm circuit, the snow's here

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:51 pm

Stunning weather to do this bunch in, and you've got some great pics of them.

I thought I was fortunate to do them in good summer weather, but nothing beats a bit of white to set off any hill to maximum advantage!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: Carn Gorm circuit, the snow's here

Postby maxie23 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:05 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Stunning weather to do this bunch in, and you've got some great pics of them.

I thought I was fortunate to do them in good summer weather, but nothing beats a bit of white to set off any hill to maximum advantage!

Thanks Alteknacker.

Agree with you about the snowy tops.

It's weather like this that makes it all worthwhile.
maxie23

Munros:67   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland