walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Caisteal Abhail

Caisteal Abhail

Postby Cams » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:52 pm

Route description: Caisteal Abhail, via North Glen Sannox

Corbetts included on this walk: Caisteal Abhail

Date walked: 28/10/2018

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 11.6 km

Ascent: 988m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Capture1.jpg

I had an amazing walk up from North Glen Sannox with Poppy my Akita. I have a long photo essay and thought I could post it here, but I can't and it kinda doesn't make sense without the photos. It was an amazing day though; it was the first time I've done that route with good visibility. Last time there was no visibility at all!

I'm keen to try the Cìr Mhòr ridge after having enjoyed this walk so much. The route I took back down was pretty tough going because of ice on the rocks; it would possibly have been quicker going back down over Sail an Im, the way I came up, because the path that way is a lot easier than picking your way through slippery rocks on Hunters Ridge.

I'm also keen to try the Witch's Step, perhaps in late spring / early autumn when the rocks aren't so slippery. I'm not sure how much of a scramble it would be and whether I would manage it, but I can only try.

It was amazing to see how all the peaks join up with ridges from that vantage point, and the view of Cìr Mhòr was nothing short of spectacular.

TrackFollowCaisteal-Abhail-via-North-Glen-Sannox.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Cams
Scrambler

Corbetts:4

Re: Caisteal Abhail

Postby kevsbald » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:56 pm

In many ways, it's a contender for the best Corbett on Arran. The whole area is magnificent. A great summit to while away the time.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland